TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags New England (SFNE) Discussion Thread

I like how now every single wooden coaster "should get the RMC treatment." Would Cyclone be big enough to make it worthwhile?

Everyone that I know in the Coaster Enthusiast community wants the RMC treatment for Cyclone, but I agree it's tough to say if it's worth it. I think they could pull it off, but they also might be better off tearing it down one day, and putting a GCI in it's place. Plus, they might have extra space left over for future flats.

Not every ride that needs the RMC treatment should necessarily be done with Iron Horse.

I think Cyclone would be a good fit for Topper Track, with a restoration of its original layout. The ride was wicked enough in its original form, it doesn't really need overbanked turns. Just bring back the classic.

I think Cyclone would be a good fit for Topper Track, with a restoration of its original layout. The ride was wicked enough in its original form, it doesn't really need overbanked turns. Just bring back the classic.

:nina:

I miss the old layout.

Not every ride that needs the RMC treatment should necessarily be done with Iron Horse.

I agree. Exactly this.

I didn't find Cyclone to be rough at all, and when I rode the trims were completely off. The one thing on that ride that hurt were the final brakes. I hated how you slam to a complete stop.

The Cyclone is a classic and I would rather keep it that way then give it the Iron Horse renovation.

I think the best thin for Cyclone is to remove Flashback and add a big firstdrop to Cyclone as well as the RMC iron horse track in 2015.

I actually really like this idea, with the iron horse adding a large first drop into the flasback section and adding maybe an overbank there with a completely new structure and then return to the original structure with a new layout. That'd be really cool.

It doesn't appear that a complete re-construction of the Cyclone is necessary. I haven't ridden it, but judging by the majority of opinions, it's a great ride that's starting to show its age and NOT a rough ride comparable to Son of Beast or Texas Giant.

The I-Box conversion requires re-construction of pretty much everything except for the lower support structure. With a Topper Track installation, they really only have to replace the track. They did it with Rattler at Fiesta Texas and the structure was left pretty much unchanged.

STOP RIGHT THERE! Before you go reposting images of Iron Rattler in this thread telling me that Rattler is getting an I-Box conversion and being called Iron Rattler, "old" Rattler did in fact receive Topper Track. CLICK.

Plus, converting Cyclone to I-Box means that Six Flags New England would lose their only wooden coaster experience...

EDIT: ...aside from Thunderbolt, which I now discovered after looking at the RCDB.

Edited by A.J.

I don't really remember Cyclone as rough, and I rode it mostly in the back. It was just pretty slow for a good deal of the course, with modest amounts of pretty good airtime. I didn't especially care for the Toppered section, but I am now sold on Topper Track after riding it on a Cyclone that desperately needs the full treatment...that evil one at SFOG.

Yeah, I was watching a POV and on the turnaround right next to the first drop (Don't know any politically correct names) and it looked somewhat slow and just really awkward how there was a weird little dip right before the drop into the airtime hills (which seem slow as well).

I've been riding Cyclone for 6 years now, and yes, 6 years won't prove a huge difference, but it's age is starting to show. I almost always ride in the front car of Cyclone, and it is a decently smooth coaster for something built in the early 80's. On occasion I will ride in the back, which isn't nearly as smooth, but that's what the back of a wooden coaster is. Today I rode in the middle, for maybe the 4th time in my life, and it was ridiculously rough. The train vibrated the whole time we were on the topper track section, and the ride was insanely bumpy. I rode in the front today too, and it was a completely different experience. Much more enjoyable ride.

Don't shoot me when I say this, but maybe topper track isn't the answer. Unless a different type of train would be better for the topper track. I don't know much when it comes to that category, but that's just my thought.