TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags New England (SFNE) Discussion Thread

So a quick set of questions. I am planning on going to the park for the first time next Wednesday. Just wondering how long the lines will be and what is the best seat on each major coaster? Also any other tips?

You can bring in bottled water, like Dasani or Poland Spring, it has to be in a clear plastic bottle though. The best time for the water park is from 11am-2pm, and the best time for the dry park is 10am-12pm and 3pm-6pm. Check out Goliath around 3pm and it'll have a 30 mins or less wait. Best seats for each coaster are:

Cyclone- Front for smooth, back for insane ejector.

Pandemonium- Doesn't matter because it spins.

Thunderbolt- Front, not a lot of airtime due to trims on final bunny hop.

Bizarro- Front will be an amazing ride, but be prepared to wait an extra 30-40mins, back is insane and you'll only have to wait about 3-4 trains once in the station.

Mind Eraser- SLC, so I suggest front for the smoothest ride.

Batman- Front, but they do assigned seating, if you ask they may let you take front.

Goliath & Flashback- Back gives the best first drop, but front is smoothest all around.

Gotham City Gauntlet- I think the front gives a little more leg room, but it doesn't matter much, it's still a mouse.

The other two (The Great Chase and Catwoman's Whip) are kiddy coasters.

So my SFNE went well yesterday. Light crowds all day long. We got Bizarro and Goliath done right at the start of the day and just kind of floated around the park after that. Most rides where walk ons except for Bizarro which was 15 minutes and Goliath which was an hour. (the new ride plus normal GIB problems) It was hot as hell in the morning but after a storm closed down all of the rides for about an hour and a half at around mid day it cooled down and was really nice. We watched the magic show while it was raining, it was pretty cool. I always love live shows. The pace for the day was pretty relaxed and we ended up leaving at around 7:30 after a 2 hour Bizarro marathon.

Ride count for the day:

Goliath - 1x

Flashback - 1x

Thunderbolt - 1x

Cyclone - 1x

Gotham City Gauntlet - 1x

Mind Eraser - 1x (never again)

Dark Knight - 4x (2 front)

Bizarro - 10x (3 front, 2 back)

I have to say Six Flags New England is a nice little park. I really liked all of the old buildings from the Riverside days and the history behind the park. Plus Bizarro is probably my number one steel coaster now. It’s basically the right mix of everything and a close to prefect coaster in my opinion.

The seasonal operation at SFNE will hopefully make Goliath more reliable than it was at SFMM. I did not find it overly reliable, as it has only been open about half the times I've visited Magic Mountain.

I miss Deja Vu, It was a fun ride! I agree the seasonal operation should enable the proper maintenance to keep the ride open during SFNE's shorter season. This ride does require more down time than other roller coasters to keep it maintained.

I really like the landscaping and such around Goliath, that is a nice touch!

The landscaping of Goliath looks a lot better, and more appealing than green water, and run down props from the days of Shipwreck Falls.

Edit: Six Flags New England will be getting the world's largest star flyer! They said it at the meeting. It'll probably be 390-400 ft tall! There's a zoning board meeting Monday I believe, and as long as it passes that SFNE will be on track to make a record holder for 2013.

Link is here.

^Wow, I hope the zoning board approves it on the 23rd. The fact that they're only 6 miles from the end of the runway at Bradley International Airport may be a problem.

SFNE, especially the North End, isn't really in the line of flight. Is it? It doesn't appear to be. Then again, I'm not a pilot.

If I'm looking at this correctly, I would think they'll need to remove the skycoaster. Is that correct or am I looking at this wrong?

The Sky Coaster will be removed with the building of the Star Flyer.

Wow. I would have thought they would have put it where Time Warp was rather than remove an attraction. Perhaps the skycoaster was no longer profitable?

EDIT: Article about the Star Flyer at http://www.masslive.com/news/index.ssf/2012/07/six_flags_new_england_wants_to.html mentions that the Zoning Board will be doing a site visit on Wednesday before making a decision. The article also mentions that Six Flags will be installing another Star Flyer somewhere in the chain (would fit in with the SFOT rumors).

Officials of Six Flags New England are seeking permission from the city to build the world’s tallest swing set ride at their amusement park here.

The proposed 385-foot high ride, called the "Star Flyer," would replace their “Sky Coaster” ride and require a special permit from the Zoning Board of Appeals as it exceeds the town’s 200-foot height limit.

“We call it the world’s biggest swing set,” John Winkler, president of Six Flags New England, told the board at a public hearing Monday on their permit request.

Six Flags has already built five other “Star Flyer” rides at other locations around the country. It is now in the process of establishing two more, one in Agawam and another at a location Winkler declined to identify for proprietary reasons.

The attraction will feature two sets of a dozen swings each mounted on arms that will turn around as the swings are raised upward, according to Six Flags officials.

They said the Planning Board has already approved site plans for the new ride and that they anticipate getting permission from the Federal Aviation Administration for the project.

About a dozen people were present while the Zoning Board of Appeals considered the proposal Monday for about an hour and half before continuing the public hearing to Monday at 8:30 a.m. at the Department of Public Works headquarters. Several residents spoke, including Mary Roncalli-Langone of 62 Mark Drive, who expressed concern that the new ride might increase noise levels.

“We have no complaints about the rides,” Roncalli-Langone said. “It’s not the rides. It’s the noise level.”

“All you are doing is flying in the wind. It is a very quiet ride,” Winkler said. He pointed out that “Sky Flyer” will replace another ride. “We have to continue to invest every year or our attendance will be off. It is not like the noise is compounding year after year,” Winkler said.

Roncalli-Langone said she is concerned about the screams made by riders and asked if there have been any studies of decibel levels at the park.

Winkler said he would look into it.

Zoning Board of Appeals member Gary Suffiti asked Six Flags officials about whether they could float a balloon at the height of the proposed new ride, but was told it would be hard to get accurate results because of the strong winds at higher elevations.

The Zoning Board of Appeals will also make a site visit to the area proposed for the new ride Wednesday at 9 a.m.

Edited by jedimaster1227

If I'm looking at this correctly, I would think they'll need to remove the skycoaster. Is that correct or am I looking at this wrong?

Wow. I would have thought they would have put it where Time Warp was rather than remove an attraction. Perhaps the skycoaster was no longer profitable?

Replacing a Pay ride with a free ride? THANK YOU!!

Sky Coasters do come with higher operating costs, so it wouldn't be surprising to see that their ROI has gone down over the years. All the ride operators have to be certified by the Sky Coaster company (who only visit each park once or twice a year to conduct the testing) and also get paid more than a ride operator.

If I remember correctly, maintenance was also surprisingly costly for the same reason as well (Sky Coaster Inc. having so much control).

This might be a dumb question but does anyone know if any of these rides windseeker or starflyer has had the ability to modify the height the ride rises to? I mean doesn't the wind higher off the ground become more of an issue? So I would think an adjustable height might allow the ride to run (admittedly less excitingly) more often.

Of course this is all assuming that the tower itself doesn't become a problem in higher winds.

Oh my goodness... 385ft sounds like a lot for a Star Flyer-type ride. Would it really be that safe for a ride to go up that high? Pardon me, but I think that the foundation might topple over at a height around that, unless it had some special reinforcements added on to the bottom. Now, something around 200ft would be more feasible, and while 385ft would be thrilling, I couldn't guarantee if it'd be safe.

To be completely honest, these swing rides kinda scare the crap out of me...

I rode Windseeker at CP last year and liked it (it was a calm evening). This year I rode it and about had a panic attack because the wind was causing the seats to buck up and down (and this was just after that cable snapped & the riders got stuck). That ride completely changed my view about these although I do like the fact that the seats seemed more secure.

When I rode the Star Flyer at the CNE and then Flight at Fantasy Island I almost peed myself...so from Flight's 140 feet to 385? No way in hell anyone is getting me on that thing!!!

I can say that I've ridden both types now and that's good enough for me to scratch 'em off the bucket list!

Edited by Philrad71

Oh my goodness... 385ft sounds like a lot for a Star Flyer-type ride. Would it really be that safe for a ride to go up that high? Pardon me, but I think that the foundation might topple over at a height around that, unless it had some special reinforcements added on to the bottom. Now, something around 200ft would be more feasible, and while 385ft would be thrilling, I couldn't guarantee if it'd be safe.

It's completely unsafe, they're just building it to see how long it'll take for it to topple over. It's a game that engineers like to play in their spare time.

It's completely unsafe, they're just building it to see how long it'll take for it to topple over. It's a game that engineers like to play in their spare time.

That sounds like an absolutely awesome game. It's like dropping babies on their heads and seeing if it cause brain damage, ya know... just cause.

I think it's funny, of all the parks to go with one that big it's SFNE? I would expect this at SFGAdv or SFMM before they go for a smaller park with height constraints. Good for SFNE though. I would be totally down to ride this.