TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags New England (SFNE) Discussion Thread

Is the splash-tube-slide-watery-thing-of-wonders (I forget the name) from the same company that made the more permanent looking version at Park Asterix?

Because that was awesome fun and I wish more parks would give them a go!

SkySwats are actually really, really good rides when they actually run. SFNE visitors are lucky to be getting the chance to ride it!

Cerberus

I went to the park earlier today to take some pictures (I can't upload them tonight, but will tomorrow). I noted a few new things.

1) The airtanks for SWAT are in the park side lot

2) Survery markers are already up for SWAT

3) It's really hard to get up to where SWAT is going to be from the street, you gotta climb up a hill through some bushes, it kinda makes you look like you're trying to break in.

I'll make sure to post the pictures as soon as I get back on campus.

Update November 14th. 2005.

The top three pictures that I took today are posted on sfne.com for the construction update. Much thanks goes out to Alex (webmaster) from www.sfne.com for hosting my pictures.

Teaser Photo:

http://sfne.com/index.php?cat=updates&id=10

Sadly, the photos of the markers didn't come out well.

• 1 month later...

Hey Guys, been a while since much has happend to the park.

To update you guys..

No new pieces of SWAT or Diablo Falls has arrived at the park.

But there has been a lot of area preperation for SWAT up by Cyclone. Here are some pics I took today.

P1010023.JPG.4a9965064e13e0e9bf9e0c9b5754c956.JPG

The railings on the exit stairs are gone, also the covered walkway has been completely taken out.

P1010022.JPG.0d93ef5214daa362a8ffbc8aa96a5361.JPG

Looking towards Cyclone's station

P1010021.JPG.abbe502c69707697514c25c623a129af.JPG

More of the Cyclone & Skycoaster area. Skycoasters cashier booth and preperation building have also been taken out

P1010020.JPG.9eedd5674ac7ab46be50b75b7fdc1fd3.JPG

Cyclones Queue House is gone

I was hoping I would see an update on SFNE sooner or later. So I assume SWAT is going where the queue house for Cyclone used to be?

I'm really satisified to get a giant flat ride at the park for the 2006 season.

Speaking of S&S flats... how is Compounce's Thunder & Lightning (Screamin' Swing) coming along?

Thank you for the update and keep us posted!

I was hoping I would see an update on SFNE sooner or later.

The last update we had was back in November since not much is happening so far. I've been to the park a couple times since I've been back in Connecticut and I have not seen any new ride parts so far. They've been primarily working on the midway area getting it ready for SWAT.

So I assume SWAT is going where the queue house for Cyclone used to be?

As for Cylones Queue House, we believe they'll modify Cyclones Queue so that they can fit in SWAT, also with the exit tunnel being completely torn down, we believe they might finally move Cyclones Exit to Cyclones Entrance.

Speaking of S&S flats... how is Compounce's Thunder & Lightning (Screamin' Swing) coming along?

Have no idea on how the screamin swing at LC is coming along since we have no need to do updates about that park.

Are they short of space at Six Flags New England?

Seems like they are really shoehorning SWAT in there.

Sorta, if you view the bird's eye view of the park in this link..

http://local.live.com/default.aspx?v=2&cp=42.039211~-72.615769&style=o&lvl=1&scene=2165591&sp=adr.1623%20Main%20St%2c%20Agawam%2c%20MA%2001001

...you'll see that their is some wooded are just north of Blizzard River. I know the park plans to completely build over the park side lot, and I've also heard but not positive, but SFNE has been trying to buy out the houses just south of the park. They also supposedly purchased a tobacco field right on the Connecticut-Massachusetts state line where a overflow lot will be built. But nothing has started there.

Are they short of space at Six Flags New England?

Seems like they are really shoehorning SWAT in there.

Sorta, if you view the bird's eye view of the park in this link..

http://local.live.com/default.aspx?v=2&cp=42.039211~-72.615769&style=o&lvl=1&scene=2165591&sp=adr.1623%20Main%20St%2c%20Agawam%2c%20MA%2001001

...you'll see that their is some wooded are just north of Blizzard River. I know the park plans to completely build over the park side lot, and I've also heard but not positive, but SFNE has been trying to buy out the houses just south of the park. They also supposedly purchased a tobacco field right on the Connecticut-Massachusetts state line where a overflow lot will be built. But nothing has started there.

Looks like it's gonna be more compact rides for now, until they build into the lot. Batman is really compact for its size, but I can't see any "big" coasters being built on the land they've currently got. They'll have to extend into the lot or even the wooded zone.

• 2 weeks later...

Rides got approved by the Agawam Board of Appeals

http://www.masslive.com/metrowest/republican/index.ssf?/base/news-2/1136882665153680.xml&coll=1

New rides OK'd for theme park

Tuesday, January 10, 2006

By DAN LAMOTHE

dlamothe@repub.com

AGAWAM - The city's Board of Appeals voted unanimously to grant special permits needed for two new rides planned at Six Flags New England last night, allowing park officials to move forward with plans to build the rides.

The permits, which are required for all planned structures higher than 45 feet in Agawam, were the last level of approval that park officials needed to move forward with their plans.

"We're excited about the possibilities," said Melissa Pinkerton, spokeswoman for the theme park, last night. "We'll announce it (the development of the new rides) formally in February, along with more details."

Tentatively called the Skyswatter and the White Water Family Ride, both rides are geared with the entire family in mind, Pinkerton said.

The Skyswatter is expected to have an "operating height" of 102 feet, taking up an estimated 68,475-square-foot area near the Cyclone, a holdover roller coaster from the park's era as Riverside Park.

The Family White Water Ride will have an operating height of 59 feet, and be built on 75,746 square feet of land following the demolition of the Poland Spring Plunge, a water flume ride that has been in operation since 1973.

Park general manager Mark A. Kane told several members of the public with questions about the rides that they are considered "medium-sized" in stature, and are meant in part to maintain Six Flags' attendance numbers.

"We like to think of this as an attendance maintenance program," Kane said, noting the theme park's attendance has been steady for the last five years.

The permits were granted with the provision that Six Flags officials monitor the level of noise at the park, which had an average ambient sound of around 64 decibels at a post near Main Street this summer, according to John J. Furman, project manager for the rides.

Six Flags officials will be expected to monitor the noise again in September 2006 and report if overall noise levels have increased, board members decided.

Should the level increase by an average of more than 10 decibels, the permit's status could be jeopardized.

• 1 month later...

Today was the official announcment by Six Flags New England of our two new rides. And they did infact change the names which are

and

Doubling the Fun AGAIN in 2006 With TWO New Rides!

CATAPULT and SPLASH WATER FALLS Will Debut In 2006 Only at Six Flags New England

AGAWAM - 2006 marks Six Flags' 45th Anniversary, and all year long Six Flags is inviting its guests to join in the celebration of this extraordinary milestone! In honor of its 45th Anniversary, Six Flags New England is doubling guests' fun AGAIN with the addition of two new rides. Catapult, high-flying thrills through the New England sky and Splash Water Falls, a family spinning water rapids ride will add a whole new level of family fun to the entertainment capital of New England - Six Flags New England.

"Anniversaries are celebrated best with family", stated Mark Kane, vice-president and general manager. "This season, we've raised the bar by adding two more rides the entire family can do together while supporting the experience with dynamic entertainment options including parades, character appearances, fireworks and more."

Thrill-seekers get ready to take flight on the high-flying thrills that Catapult has to offer. Dare to spin head-over-heels more than 100 feet in the air forwards and backwards in 360-degree rotations! No other ride in New England will give you the thrill of soaring face up to swat the sky and then diving face down to Earth.

"On the heels of our successful launch of Pandemonium and Typhoon in 2005, Catapult, with its high energy attributes, raises the bar yet again in thrill entertainment" said Kane. "Six Flags is always on the cutting edge of technology; this year is no different as we look forward to the launch of Catapult."

Piercing the New England skies in shades of yellow, burnt orange and steely blue, Catapult takes its place as a centerpiece in the north end of the park. Standing at 105 feet, the impressive Catapult, with its bright colors, allows friends and family to experience the sensation of thrill and flight together. A Mayan sun graphic beckons thrill seekers to reach out and touch the sun as guests whip and whirl 360 degrees forward and 360 degrees backwards!

Also making a splashy debut this season is Splash Water Falls. Hang on tight as Splash Water Falls whirls and twirls adventurous families over multiple spirals, drops, twists and turns while spinning continuously down a brightly colored river channel. Riders encounter splashy thrills while cruising past misters and geysers spraying cool water high into the air. Spectators also join in the fun, blasting unsuspecting riders with multiple water cannons located on the sidelines.

Bathed in primaries - red, yellow and blue - Splash Water Falls towers 60 feet above the park, and is the only ride of its kind in New England. Up to six riders fill each continuously spinning boat as it travels on a journey through a 540-degree loop, a 360-degree loop and a triple-dipped drop. With a minimum height requirement of 36 inches, the entire family can enjoy the thrill together.

"This is the ultimate way for families to cool off during the hot New England summers," stated Kane. "Splash Water Falls is a ride that the entire family can enjoy together. Sitting face-to-face in a brightly colored raft, family members can exchange hoots and hollers as they spin their cares away."

The addition of Catapult and Splash Water Falls raises the level of fun at Six Flags New England to immeasurable heights! Don't miss our best season ever as we double the fun AGAIN in 2006! So, make plans now to visit again and again. The new season begins April 15th! With the purchase of a season pass you and your family can enjoy the fun all season long for the low price of $64.99 per pass (minimum of 4 passes).

Also, about the fate of Poland Springs Plunge which was our log flume, we are unsure if it might be salvaged or not, their has been photos at the end of last season of the sections of the ride numbered for what seemed to be re-assemble purposes, and their was a photo on screamscape.com which sorta showed some work being done in the employee parking lot across from the entrance into Hurricane Harbor

from: http://www.angelfire.com/nh/scubanrollercoasters/construction.html

Links:

Six Flags New England Media Center

Catapult & Splash Water Falls Construction Photos

^ Ive ridden plenty of rides that go upside down with only lapbars, so theres no doubt that i'll ride it. Splashwater Falls will be pretty fun. Ive ridden a "clone" at SFA, and it was awesome. April can't come soon enough!

Yeh I know... I've been on ones aswell.. But with the Sky Swat you're very exposed and I was on the front row when I went on it first.. And you can see right down to the floor... And this is when the whole arm is vertical... It really got to me.

Splashwaterfalls is such a bad name.. I wish they kept DF. as it was "one of a kind"

Now SFNE has 2 "SWF" water rides

^^

I dont think they used that name because SFNE is a pretty good themed parked with themed areas and where its going i dont think that the name it was called before would fit so they had to change the name. that could be possibly or it just wanted to have a clone again.

• 1 month later...