TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Inverted Wooden Coaster

I like the idea but it will hurt, Inverted B&M coasters tend to get sorta rough after 10 years or so... Wood coaster get exremely rough after 10 years or so... Riding that ride in 10 years would just kill you...

So how is it any worse than a normal wooden coaster then?

Any coaster type is capable of being smooth or rough...there are too many variables to really be making blanket assumptions.

I mean, just looking at the pictures you can see that it still uses a lap bar, and the only difference to a normal woodie is that there is no place to put your feet. In terms of your upper body you are still held in the same as always.....So what makes this inherently painful again?

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^Name me 3 wooden roller coasters that are 10+ years old that are not rough... then do the same for inverts....[/u]

Get out of California. There are plenty of parks who maintain their wooden coasters correctly and are smooth year in and year out.

^Name me 3 wooden roller coasters that are 10+ years old that are not rough... then do the same for inverts....[/u]

Get out of California. There are plenty of parks who maintain their wooden coasters correctly and are smooth year in and year out.

Nice list, I have bee out of California, parks off the top of my head, SFFT, SFOT SFAW, SFDL, Astroland, Holiday World (before the Voyage) all of the wooden coasters I recall excluding Holiday World's where rough so infarct I think the smoothest wooden coaster I can think of was in California, Ghostrider at KBF on the refurbished train there running now

Which brings me back to my point, If people are happy to ride normal woodies that are rough, then why would an inverted one be a problem?

Props to the man for wanting to try something new but the way I see it...if it isn't broken why fix it? We already have successful inverts that are all made of steel and are all rather doing good made of steel although some are rougher then others but none would be nearly as rough as an inverted wooden! Most of the people here that has posted are saying its very impractical and would be rough with pain. I agree with them it is very impractical and over imaginative. I really think if it is built its going to be one of the biggest roller coaster flops in history.

And lots of you think SLC's are rough.........hoo boy!

I think we should wait and see how things turn out before we all bash him. Its an original idea and like most ideas, it needs a bit of constructive critism. But the worst thing anyone can do is bash him and put him down.

Personally, I looking forward to see how it turns out for him. He could serve as an inspiration to others.

The only thing I question is the design experience of the firm. I know that the owner has a degree in engineering and has experience in the amusement industry, with some experience from being a mechanic.

I'm sure they can design this concept but will it catch on? Yes, if successful. It sure would benefit their chances if they had some experience in building normal woodies. If a company like GCI were to design and build this I would expect it to be good...they have experience with woodies. But GordonRides does not have experience with anything, from what I can tell.. The site seems mostly conceptual and until I see progress I can't help but think of this inverted woodie as a pipe dream.

I think some of you guys are being a tad harsh on the poor guy. I give him kudos for having the guts to go forth with his dream, which is more than alot of us have done.

I agree, also I have ten bucks riding that If this is built 85% of us on this site would ride this(and probably like it) if we are in the area its in. Being mean to the guy just for for coming up with a new idea and trying to go through with it is how anything great is born. For example someone already said something about ice cream in coffee and that it tastes good, not only that but there is coffee flavored ice cream and a lot of people like that.

I personally want to see this built, sure it might end up being painful and it might flop but I'm sure he is already aware of that and it would be awesome to see.

Also for you guys asking why? why not? this is the amusement industry and as such is pretty much run but innovation. Its like an arms race, without new tech its just a race for a larger amount of weapons(or in this case rides). However with new tech, whoever has the coolest toy can win with less, provided it works like its supposed to.

I agree with many posts that he should first work with an existing firm, pay a few dues, then get out there and do his thing. I am, by far, not well-versed in coaster engineering, so work with me on this. The idea is pretty out there, and seems like a one-way trip to the chiropractor, but maybe not implausible so much as it is prototypical. I'm not sure a vertically-aligned stress framework would be doable as there would be rocking through the banks, but an A-frame-like support structure with vertical beams shored up in the highest stress zones seem possible. Also, I dont the track can be wood; just too much pressure, but an embedded steel track encased in a wood surround seems possible.

My main apprehension lies in the inversions. Sure, SOB had a loop, but it wasnt tea and hashish by any of the reports I heard. Also, a barrel roll made of wood...I dunno. I think you could framework a cork somehow, but a barrel or something like a cobra..I just cant envision. Comfort? Boulderdash changed my mind about comfort on woodies, but this one, at this stage, would require an Oxycontin kiosk.

Like the idea, but the implementation needs work.

Scott

• 7 months later...

I just went to the website and all I have to say is...

The wooden invert seems like a good idea, but the structure looks way too close to the trains. Not to mention the fact that the wooden track doesn't look like it can support much without collapsing.

The whip ride looks really fun.

The concept for the Quidditch coaster looks kinda... bad... You'd think they'd hire a better concept artist to design the coaster. Even I could draw a better concept than that. It kinda reminds me of the hideous SFGAdv Lightnin Loops concept art.

The last time a very new company attempted to do new and interesting things with a wooden coaster, Son of Beast happened...

But what about Intamin's PnP's? They took a wooden coaster, tweaked the design, and nowadays, every single PnP is universally loved in the enthusiast community! The wooden invert could possibly be done, but I really don't think this guy will build it.

I wonder if Universal is going to use that design for a Quiddich coaster (I think I remember one being announced, but I don't know for sure). A wooden invert looks like an awful idea - makes me think that one of their designers has been reading too much TPR!