TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

What're You Reading for Halloween?

cfc

Ah, fall is here! Students are clogging up the streets, bars, and restaurants of Williamsburg again, BGE kicks off Howl-o-Scream next week, and I'm mulling over what I'm going to read during October, better known as . . .

THE GRISLY MONTH OF HORROR!

I've always been a fan of horror fiction, and October is when I indulge that peculiar appetite. For the entire month, its nothing but horror novels, horror short stories, and horror flicks (both old and new--I'm a big fan of the classic Universal movies). So, as you might guess, I have a few favorites--horror stories I think everyone should read. Here are five, in no particular order:

Dracula by Bram Stoker--Let's get one thing straight about this story. There is no freakin' romance between Count Dracula and anyone here, despite all the movie and stage adaptations that make him into some sort of pathetic, tortured soul weeping over his lost love. He's a bloodsucking rapist, and Van Helsing is out to kill him--that's it. This book can be slow going at times, but stick with it. Stoker's epistolary style, using letters, articles, and journal entries, makes the story seem quite real, and the Count is one of the best literary monsters ever.

The Haunting of Hill House by Shirley Jackson--This one set the standard for just about every ghost story that followed. A paranormal investigator puts together an unlikely team of "ghost hunters"; of course, not everything goes as planned. Jackson was first known for Life Among the Savages, a comedy about life in the suburbs, but much of her work is pretty twisted and worth checking out. By the way, the best movie version is Robert Wise's The Haunting--stay away from the wretched, newer version starring Catherine Zeta-Jones.

Hell House by Richard Matheson--This was sort of an answer to Jackon's Hill House. Matheson admired Jackson's novel, but was irritated because it was a bit vague about whether the haunting was "real" or just a figment of one character's imagination. So, he decided to write the same story, leaving no doubt that something supernatural was going on--and it's nearly as great as Jackson's book (if much grislier). The movie version, The Legend of Hell House, is very good (Matheson provided the screenplay for it).

Something Wicked This Way Comes by Ray Bradbury--I think this is Bradbury's best book. He grabs you from the opening paragraph and just doesn't let up, building the suspense and horror beautifully. As if traveling carnvals weren't creepy enough, wait until you get a load of "Coogan and Dark's Pandemonium Shadow Show." You'll never look at a Ferris wheel in the same way again. The Disney movie version, directed by Jack Clayton with a script by Bradbury, isn't bad, either.

I am Legend by Richard Matheson--Forget the rather weak movie adaptations and stick with the original novel. Matheson turned the vampire/zombie subgenre on its head with this book.

As for this year, two Brian Keene novels, Ghost Walk and Dark Hollow, are on my list (thanks for the recommendation here, Dave) and maybe Joe Hill's Heart-Shaped Box.

If you're of a more "literary" bent, you might check out Dan Simmons's The Terror, a historical novel about an actual, ill-fated 19th-century expedition to find the "Northwest Passage" with a supernatural twist (along with all-too-real horrible humans).

So, what's on your Halloween reading list this year?

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Though there is great value and greatly expanded vocabulary from reading, I'm just not a big reader.

Besides, there are plenty of daily tales of dread and horrific squabbling on CNN.com.

One of my heros, 90's FireHouse Bassist Perry Richardson, was an avid Stephen King fan. Thought this was a cool fact about him.

I'm currently reading The Shining by Steven King. Then I plan to pick up some more Steven King to read after that.

I'm also going to read I Am Legend, because I own that and haven't had the chance to read it yet.

I will probably end up reading more than that too, but that's what I have so far. I read The Hound of the Baskervilles almost every year around Halloween too.

Edit: 300th post

I just finished Twilight by Stephanie Meyer (meh on that one, should make a melodramatic mediocre film later this year) it has Vampires and Werewolves, does that count? If not I'm still about halfway through Brian Keene's Ghoul (YAY Elissa Bingo prize, thanks Dave!) and I'll probably pick something up between now and Halloween.

I also love The Haunting of Hill House by Shirley Jackson, We read it in my seventh grade english class and I loved it! Shirley Jackson's The Lottery is definitley a GREAT short story everyone should read as well.

I just finished Twilight by Stephanie Meyer (meh on that one, should make a melodramatic mediocre film later this year) it has Vampires and Werewolves, does that count?

That's the book I was about to buy. I haven't found anyone that read it so didn't have any reviews. At least I can keep my hopes down and then maybe I'll like it. Hrmm, I'll have to check out the other suggestions made here.

The Shining was King's best. I quit reading his stuff after Cujo, which I thought was pretty bad. (Apparently, King was pretty messed up on cocaine or something that period of his life.) I actually like his short stories more than some of his novels.

^^Go to the Library! lol

I'm not saying it was bad, a tad too slow for my tastes though. I also did just finish reading Dean Koontz's Lightning a few nights before starting it so that might have hurt it a bit, but it's definitely a teen romance novel first and foremost. Go into it like that and it should disapoint, I wasn't expecting much of it and the last two chapters were pretty fun. I do know I made some girls at work VERY angry when i told them this though lol.

I am re-reading Mike Mignola's and Christopher Golden's Baltimore, or, The Steadfast Tin Soldier and the Vampire. It's really quite good with excellent woodcut-inspired artwork. For those with a Bram Stoker/H.P. Lovecraft thing with some exotic mythologies thrown in for good measure (Nordic, Romanian, Italian, Native American). I recommend it!

Also, some Conan adventures with Kurt Busiek writing and Cary Nord illustrating. Not really "horror" but there are a lot of creepy moments in that series.

I have a couple of friends that read the Twilight series. They absolutely loved it. I have the first book, but have not read it yet. I reccomend the following books....

What Happened to Cass McBride? - Gail Giles: This is about Cass McBride who is the popular student in school. David is the more unpopular boy in school, and commits suicide. David's brother wants revenge on the person who he feels is responsible for David's death, which is Cass. It's told by Cass', her captor and the police investigating her dissaperance.

Dead Girls Don't Write Letters - Gail Giles: Sunny's sister, Jazz, is presumed dead. Sunny receives a letter from Jazz saying that she's alive, but when she comes home to visit, the family realizes that although Jazz my know a lot about the family, it's not really her.

• 4 weeks later...

Well, I polished off my first novel for the GRISLY MONTH OF HORROR: Brian Keene's Dark Hollow. It's a good read, and I like how Keene mixes Greek mythology and Pennsylvania superstition to creater horror (specifically, the myths of Pan, the often violent revels of the Greek god Dionysus, and a Pennsylvanian form of witchcraft called "powwow"). The book does drag a bit in the middle (too many scenes of characters just talking and rehashing what's already happened), but it builds to a truly wild climax.

Note that this novel is definitely rated NC-17.

Joe Hill's Heart-Shaped Box is next.

The Shining was King's best. I quit reading his stuff after Cujo, which I thought was pretty bad. (Apparently, King was pretty messed up on cocaine or something that period of his life.) I actually like his short stories more than some of his novels.

'Salem's Lot is my number one for overall "scariest" Stephen King novel. A great read for Holloween, especially if you are not fimiliar with what the book is about.

I been tempted to go as Time Warner and Lin Tv, if I could find a co worker to do it. It is a inside thing at my work.

That's all very interesting, but what are you reading for Halloween?

^I have a copy of Ghost Walk, Dave, and was quite amused by the dedication. I may finish off the month with that one after the Joe Hill book.

I'm reading The Entity by Frank DeFilitta. It's based on a true story about an L.A woman that was supposedly repeatedly raped by a ghostly entity. It's pretty good. I'm sure the older people on here remember the movie back in the early 80s by the same name. The book is pretty good, it's managed to freak me out more than a few times so far.

I just finished Twilight by Stephanie Meyer (meh on that one, should make a melodramatic mediocre film later this year) it has Vampires and Werewolves, does that count?

I've heard the same thing about the Twilight books so I'm probably going to pass. But speaking of vampires and werewolves, you need to read the Southern Vampire Series by Charlaine Harris. The new show, True Blood, on HBO is based on this series. The books are awesome. I'm on book 7 currently, and book 9 comes out in May. They are definitely NOT teen romance; they are non-stop action and adult relationships, and not a sappy love story either. Highly recommended! Even my husband is hooked on them!

^Your adaptation is actually the reason I chose that book. Though I think you already knew that...just thought I'd mention it again.

(But seriously, if my grade didn't depend on it, I would never pick up a book that didn't involve roller coasters...or maybe golf. lol)