Contacts Vs. Glasses

Kalepi_Konei

What are better contacts or glasses  

35 members have voted

1. 1. What are better contacts or glasses

• Contacts
    • Glasses
    • I dont know

Hello avid TPR readers, recently I have been to the eye doctor to get a check-up, and I was offered to get contacts. So I recieved a trial pair and after about 30-40 minutes of struggling to learn how to get them in/out I finally have grown to like them.

Well here's the deal, I really can't tell what I like better between the two: contacts, or glasses. So I decided to ask the amazing and loving people at TPR what do you think of this ordeal. There are pros and cons to both as such....

Glasses --- Pros

Easy to put on/off

Some are dare I say "stylish" (in there own way)

Glasses --- Cons

Break easy

They fog up in this Florida weather (alot!)

Scrape my face when I put them on

Fall off my face sometimes

Mine already have been halfway to hell and back

Contacts --- Pros

Unnoticable

I look better in them

Contacts --- Cons

Annoying to take in/out

Can't really rub my eyes

Can fall out (if you try hard enough)

Anyways as you can see I'm stuck at a loss here, and I really have no idea what to decide....so I have come for a debate here on TPR, what do you find better.

---Side Note---

When I look at lights they get all stretched out like when your window on your car is wet and you look at a light, and it happens every once in a while (not with all lights) do you guys get the same problem when you adjust to them?

---Extra Side Note---

Yes moderators I did search this up on TPR and found nothing, I thought this would be a pretty nice debate topic, and I'd like to here peoples' opinions on these things, so if this comes up as a topic maybe I'm using the search wrong (sorry.) And if you think this topic is a waste of time I apologize again, I really want to hear peoples' thought and opinions on this.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally I love my contacts. Glasses bother my face (even the "light" ones) and left those ugly marks on the side of my nose, so I don't usually wear them unless I'm too lazy to put them in, which is when I'm at home or going to work. I like to wear my contacts in the gym because glasses bother me during my sets. Plus it's nice to have my full range of vision that you don't get with glasses.

I got my first pair when I was about 19; I hated wearing glasses (people say I look better without them) so I was looking into contacts. My father was dead set against me getting them and had a fit when I went to buy some when my frames broke. He forbidden me to get a pair without buying glasses. Luckily, I had a pair of fake glasses (that cost $15) with me. I asked the store if they could put lenses in them and they told me yes. So I walked out with the contacts and the frames. Pop was pi$$ed, but he'll be alright... it was my money that I earned from working and putting myself through school so wasn't sure why he was acting a fool in the store! But I haven't wore my glasses regularly since then.

Terry

I gotta go with glasses, but only because I think I look better with them than with out. Now, I've had them since I was 10, which is over half my life, so perhaps I'm just used to them at this point, but man, I feel so NAKED without them (and blind, of course. Very, very blind.)

But depending on what YOU look like, maybe you'd look weird in glasses. Or maybe you'd look weird in contacts. I dunno. This is definitely one of those things where you just gotta figure out what works best for you.

As for some of your cons for glasses...

Glasses --- Cons

Break easy

I don't know what kind of girly glasses you have (haha), but I've never had a pair break on me (now that I've said that, I'm sure I'll break mine tomorrow, though). Maybe try something a bit more sturdy next time?

As for the scraping your face part, what do you mean? Are the arms of your glasses made of razor blades, because I don't really have a problem with this either.

I've had both for a long time, and I have to say contacts. Glasses are easier to deal with, but when it comes to going outside in the sunlight, I need sunglasses on, and that's why I wear my contacts most of the time. Once you get used to putting them in and taking them out, it's really no big deal.

As for some of your cons for glasses...

Glasses --- Cons

Break easy

I don't know what kind of girly glasses you have (haha), but I've never had a pair break on me (now that I've said that, I'm sure I'll break mine tomorrow, though). Maybe try something a bit more sturdy next time?

As for the scraping your face part, what do you mean? Are the arms of your glasses made of razor blades, because I don't really have a problem with this either.

As for them scraping my face was the rubber on the sides of the glasses that go over your ears ripped and now its just metal, so when I put them on it scrapes my face, and my glasses are broken in 3 parts, 1 lense (it burnt,) the metal sides, and the screw holding up 1 side is now tapped together very "vigorously."

And theres another pro/con someone said, you can wear sunglasses, instead of having to get those $200 dollar transition lenses (I only say $200 because those are the new version of "titanium" transition and the old plastic ones are $120, but the new ones change ALOT faster!)

---Contacts Question---

The Dr.'s (sp?) say that contacts last around 2 weeks, if you use them properly, I'm just asking for people who want to save money, how long have you ever "extended" your prescription for in contacts?

I don't know about everybody else, but I've never had a contact fall out on me, and I can rub my eyes if I have to. Even on Kingda Ka, where you're dealing with 130 mph winds, I had no problem whatsoever. The only kind of contacts I can recommend though is Acuvue Oasis. They are the only ones I've been able to tolerate. Everything else I have ever worn has felt like I was sticking toe-nail clippings in my eyes. With that said though, I often forget I am even wearing contacts when I'm wearing Acuvue Oasis.

The only downside I've found with contacts is they are a pain to wear at water parks and pools, but glasses won't fix that.

I wear glasses.

Although mostly because I tried, and failed with contacts. I tried them years ago, but gave up as I was just unable to get them into my eyes. I never managed to figure out how to keep my eye from clenching shut the second I got it near.

Few hours of failing and that was enough.

Luckilly though I'm near sighted, so I don't need glasses in all situations. So often at theme parks I leave the glasses in the car.

Heres what i would do.

Go to a glasses store and try on a bunch of glasses. If you fall in love with a pair, get them, and if nothing jumps out at you, get some contacts.

I personally have glasses, a few pairs actually, but truth be told i only wear them when they go with what i'm wearing so i see glasses more as an accessory than things that are actually useful.

Nice pair of glasses = nice pair of girls.

I've been wearing glasses since I was around a year old. I can say, glasses are not only fashionable, but are also easier. Instead of taking out contacts and putting them in that liquid box, you just put them on a table.

Plus, I've heard most contacts you must take out before you sleep. (In the car, plane...ect.) Or your eyes will hurt.

--James

^I asked my eye doctor about that and he said that it's impossible for them to get stuck back there. I sleep in mine all the time!

I wear contacts. I had problems putting them in the first few weeks too, but once you get you get used to them it's not as bad. Mine last for two weeks and I usually take them out and soak them on Saturday. On the second week you can just throw them away and pop in a new pair. I've never had a problem with my contacts falling out. Sometimes they itch a little, but if I rub it for a minute it goes away.

I recommend that you try out glasses before you get contacts. When you think you're ready you can move on to contacts.

I sleep in mine all the time!

Just because you can sleep with them on, definitely doesn't mean you should. Sleeping with contacts in can lead to corneal ulcers, infections, and could lead to other very serious problems for your eyes further in your life. Not to say doing it every once in a while is not ok (it is) it's just you shouldn't make a habit of it.

Also, If you properly take care of your lenses, they can last you a while. I usually change my lenses every two - three months just to keep it feeling fresh and to ensure the lenses themselves don't tear as that can also badly damage your corneas.

That said, I do wear both (when I can afford both lol) I've been wearing contacts and glasses for quite a few years now, and I can definitely pull both looks off (yay me!) so it's kinda whatever I feel like wearing or have, like now I only have contacts. I definitely like having both as the pros and cons listed can apply to both. I've also never lost a contact or had one fall out randomly.

^Not according to this study done by the FDA, it's a bit older and there definitely has been advances in the contact field, but most of it still applies today. Don't take a chance with your eyes, you could definitely lose them later on if you are not careful with or without contacts. I don't take the chance and usually take them out and clean them and replace them often.

And like I said, occasionally is fine, just don't make a big habbit out of it. I usually fall asleep with my contacts in once every month or so (more like pass out drunk, but that's a whole other conversation)

I prefer glasses, but that just stems from my own personal fear of putting things in my eyes. I would suggest looking for glasses and if you don't "feel" anything than go ahead and get the contacts.

However I did notice that you forgot a major "pro" in the glasses column. That being you can "pose" with them, for instance...

thoughtfull.jpg.1a2fdf109d9f4350b93de439752529d6.jpg

Glasses Pose #2: "The Thinker", Used to show deep thought so that others may think you are actually insightful.

1691943473_overtherims.jpg.1cfeda568f6a318786097cea1f9e4ccd.jpg

Glasses Pose #1: "The Over-The-Rims glance", Used to show disbelief of a remark just made by another.

I have had both glasses and contacts in the past and have ended up completely in the prefer glasses camp.

I loved my contacts when I had them, but now they seem to bother me more and more, perhaps it has something to do with my job requiring me to sit in front of a computer screen for much of the day. My eyes feel less strained when wearing glasses vs. contacts.

As far as needing sunglasses... i got the transition lenses, and i will never go back to regular ones again. Yes they are more expensive, but it was actually cheaper than getting a set of sunglasses too. THe only problem is that sometimes the lenses apear tinted oddly in pictures.

I'm a nonstop glasses wearer. I never used to be a big fan but hey, I need them.

I could never stick something in my eye - grosses me out.

There's only one downside. With the glasses, everyone calls me Harry Potter. Seriously, people on the street call me Harry

Someone also said contacts can damage your eye - dunno if it's true though.