TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Ballparks! Your favorite/least favorite?

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But my real point is, I couldn't agree more about Yankee Stadium, arguably the greatest baseball park ever built. Essentially, it's a modern day Roman Colosseum.

I would argue that it is not.

I prefer to call it a modern day dump.

While Wrigley is a beautiful park, it is just a giant bar with a field in the center. There is nothing else to do there as fans and neighbors get upset whenever the Cubs want to add something. As some might know, they protested when the lights were installed. However, the thought of playing games at Busch Stadium made them change their mind.

U.S. Cellular Field on the other hand, while not the best, sure isn't the worst looking ball park. Unlike Wrigley, there is much more than just drink beer. Going to a Sox game is a lot like going to a large minor league stadium with all the attractions and contests there are. The only bad thing is the area it is in, which is why night games at the Cell make the crowds the Expos got look big.

Oh yeah, the Sox also have more World Series plaques than the team on the north side, which makes their park that much better.

The new Busch Stadium and Miller Park are also really nice.

But my real point is, I couldn't agree more about Yankee Stadium, arguably the greatest baseball park ever built. Essentially, it's a modern day Roman Colosseum.

I would argue that it is not.

I prefer to call it a modern day dump.

I was making the argument based upon its long storied history and many championship teams and legendary players that it was home to. But if you had to rank ballparks in history, it's gotta be near, if not on the top, of the list. I've never been to the place, but Steinbrenner must be replacing it for a reason...

^^I can't stand the White Sox! Sure, there's an instilled disliking because I'm a Cubs fan, not to mention it's in the dirty southside and I kind of like life, but I especially can't stand them because such a large portion of their fanbase is comprised of fair-weather fans. Yeah, I know the Cubs are one of the biggest bandwagon teams in baseball, but that's saying something because we've more-or-less sucked for 100 years. It's not like we're the BoSox where suddenly half the country fell in love with the team because they caused Yankee Nation to collectively crap bricks and went on to win the World Series. That part, at least the World Series portion, will happen once October is over.

My disliking of the White Sox turned to pure hatred in 2005 after they won the World Series. Why? Because prior to the 2005 World Series, White Sox fans (from what I had always seen) were practically non-existent. Hell, if you walked into a sports store, there would be twenty racks of Cubs gear and one rack of White Sox gear. Then after the World Series, poof! White Sox clothing shows up everywhere, people start driving around with "2005 World Series Champions" license plate frames on their cars, and people who have spent their entire life on the northside suddenly profess their love for the White Sox!

Before you ask, I spent the first 22 years of my life in Central/Southern Indiana. Given that we don't have a nearby team, baseball fans usually pick between the Reds, the Cubs, or the Cards. My old man had family in Chicago and grew up a Cubs fan, so I grew up a Cubs fan. Not to mention, Cubs probably have more games aired on TV in Indiana than any other MLB team because of WGN.

Anyway, I've gone off on a completely separate tangent from stadiums. I just felt the overwhelming urge to express my disliking for the White Sox. I hope you know that I'm not necessarily calling you a fair-weather fan! You like the Sox and that's fine! I won't question you!

With that said, yes, Wrigley is a big bar (the two guys sitting next to me when I went must have spent nearly $75 on beer), but I'm not sure what changes have been prevented that would increase the entertainment. Heck, I personally feel the atmosphere in Wrigleyville prior to the game is an experience itself. Maybe I'm just biased. I try to keep an open mind though. I guess I just really enjoy the nostalgic feel and atmosphere that Wrigley gives.

I've never been to the place, but Steinbrenner must be replacing it for a reason...

Yes! The same reason that the Busch family sold out to InBev!

Completely

Useless

By

September

Ok, that was harsh, and I will cheer for the Cubs because they are from Chicago. As long as they don't play the Sox, I want them to win.

Wrigley Field does have one attraction that no other field has called: "Dodge the falling concrete."

I agree with Mc Jaco on this one.

Wrigley

Miller Park

Jacobs Field

Yankee Stadium

Dodger Stadium

Bank One Ballpark

Metrodome

Agree with what. That's my list of parks I've been too.

As for Yankee Stadium, yes I'll agree on the history. I just didn't think it was all that I had heard about. The concourses are small and dark, the neighborhood is less than diserable, it just didn't have any character. That's my honest opinion. Take it for what it's worth. Which is usually a hill of beans.

Ah yes, the Sox/Cubs feud. One of the most retarded arguments in all of sports. I don't hate the Sox, but I don't care for them either. Except for six games of the year, they're irrelevant. Which is the way it should be treated. After I went to a Cubs/Sox game two years ago at Comiskey (the one where Barrett punched AJ) I vowed never to step foot in that place during that series. No offense, Airtime, but Sox fans have a huge case of penis envy. My life was threated four times that game because I was wearing a Cubs hat. Yep, I made Barret punch AJ, therefore you should beat me up. F'in dunderheads.

I'm not saying Cubs fans are any better. They're bad too, just in a drunken I don't care about the game sort of way. I don't even go to those games because the fanbase makes me want to puke. Are you here for a game, or to drink? No one that thinks Bud and Old Style should be taken seriously.

Yeah, Sox fans do fight(there is a video on youtube of a fight after a guy tried to steal some woman's purse. A Cubs fan even joined in.) However, when I went to Wrigley last year, there was a fight outside behind the left field bleachers. Even though I've gone to more Cub's games than Sox games, I still cheer for the sox as they seem to be forgotten. Even after they won the World Series, a lot of the fans seemed to go away once the celebrations ended.

As for me, I prefer minor league games more, as the seats and food are cheap, and the game is as entertaining as a major league game. The Peoria Chiefs(Cubs farm team) have a great stadium, a good team, and you can buy front row tickets 5 minutes before the game without going to a scalper.

I went to US Cellular when it first opened, (before they bastardized the name), and was not impressed.

My favorite parks that I've been to in no particular order are:

The Vet (I'm a Phillies fan) sadly I haven't been to CBP yet

Miller Park

Busch Stadium (the new one, the old one sucked, it was like a wind tunnel)

Camden Yard

Kaufmann Stadium (it may be old, and the team might suck, but its a beautiful place to watch a ballgame)

As for me, I prefer minor league games more, as the seats and food are cheap, and the game is as entertaining as a major league game

Here in Omaha we have the Omaha Royals. On Thursdays they run a thirsty Thursday promotion with dollar beers. The majors will never do that.

P.S. Steve Bartman is a great American.

And if you believe that, you're an uniformed White Sox fan.

Real baseball fans know that ball was out of play, and Moises was NOT going to get to it anyway. Bartman (who I actually know), did what any other fan would of done.

Alex Gonzalez booting a double pay ball was the turning point in that series. The media made it Bartman.

Real baseball fans know that ball was out of play, and Moises was NOT going to get to it anyway. Bartman (who I actually know), did what any other fan would of done.

Alex Gonzalez booting a double pay ball was the turning point in that series. The media made it Bartman.

Yep, and even if it had been catchable, I still don't see it as a big deal because, again, he did what any other fan would have done.

I have to give serious credit to Bartman for turning down every single media interview or offer, and for refusing to leave Chicago. To me, that shows a lot of class.

Be gentle, I'm a foreigner, I've been to several ball parks: Fenway, Wrigley Field, Skydome (is that what the Blue Jays one is called), Turner Field, Petco (Padres), the SF Giants new one (2006), and the Louisiana superdome - that's all I think.

And the least fave winner is: Petco, mainly because the bleachers suck, they aren't even part of the stadium, it's like a sandpit between the stands.

Fave: Wrigley, for character.

Ah yes, the Sox/Cubs feud. One of the most retarded arguments in all of sports. I don't hate the Sox, but I don't care for them either. Except for six games of the year, they're irrelevant. Which is the way it should be treated. After I went to a Cubs/Sox game two years ago at Comiskey (the one where Barrett punched AJ) I vowed never to step foot in that place during that series. No offense, Airtime, but Sox fans have a huge case of penis envy. My life was threated four times that game because I was wearing a Cubs hat. Yep, I made Barret punch AJ, therefore you should beat me up. F'in dunderheads.

I'm not saying Cubs fans are any better. They're bad too, just in a drunken I don't care about the game sort of way. I don't even go to those games because the fanbase makes me want to puke. Are you here for a game, or to drink? No one that thinks Bud and Old Style should be taken seriously.

Yeah, at least Cubs fans don't beat up first base coaches.

My favorite major leauge ballpark is good old Safeco Field in Seattle. I love being able to see Mount Rainier while sitting on the north side of the stadium, or seeing downtown Seattle behind the left-field bleachers.

My Least Favorite would probably be the Kingdome. While it holds a special place in my heart since it was a big part of my childhood, but it wasn't exactly a great ballpark.

I also the the Durham Bulls Athletic Park in Durham, NC. It is a minor leauge ballpark that is worthy of hosting a Major Leauge team. One of the beast features of the ballpark is that they still have the Bull from the Bull Durham movie!

I realize it was classic Cub choking that brought about their likely demise. I just loved Bartman because he pissed off so many Cub fans. My aunt (30 year Cub season ticket holder) was fuming that night. I loved it.

I'm a uniformed White Sox fan? I always wondered about those Glenbrook Township schools (That is another story).

• 6 months later...
The new Nationals' Ball Park is nice!

I went to a game there this summer and all I can say is OUTSTANDING! It had great prices for a ballpark, and the atmosphere was amazing. Also it was very cool how the ball park was set up so in some seats you had a view looking right down to the capital building.

Nationals Park has easily become my favorite park!