TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Ballparks! Your favorite/least favorite?

I have been to quite a few ballparks in my lifetime, both major and minor league. I have to agree with the statements that SBC Park is one of the best by far. I have heard many good things about PNC Park. I really want to go there, as well as the older parks (Boston, NY, Chicago, etc.). The parks I have been to are below.

Major League Parks

SBC

Candlestick Park (Old Giants stadium, 49ers home)

NetASSociates Coliseum (Oakland A’s)

Bank One Ballpark (BOB, Diamondbacks)

Coors Field (Denver)

LA Dodgers (Chavez Ravine)

LA (Anaheim) Angels (Whatever they want to call it now)

The Ballpark in Arlington (Texas Rangers Stadium)

Memorial Stadium (Old Baltimore Orioles home)

Camden Yards (New Orioles Stadium)

Old Tigers Stadium

Comerica Park (New Tigers Stadium)

Jacob’s Field

Kaufmann Stadium (Kansas City Royals)

Kingdome (Old Seattle stadium)

The minor league parks are too numerous to mention. Some of my favorites were: Rancho Cucamonga, CA, Lake Elsinore, CA, Victorville (High Desert), CA, San Antonio, TX, Tulsa, OK, Wichita, KS, Columbia, S.C., Columbus, GA, Savannah, GA, Spokane, WA, Eugene, OR, Greensboro, NC.

Some pictures are below.

1072119959_UmpPic.jpg.e45c4da5a8be517dc5db3d862d8b20e4.jpg

The Ballpark in Arlington, Texas Rangers Stadium. I am the second from the right.

1133442765_McCoveyCove2.jpg.292ab9c9bd9c44860de24e577e45bd4f.jpg

SBC a little further out

534516128_McCoveyCove3.jpg.3f397dcb28591818a9a01255dde9d079.jpg

A closer shot of SBC from McCovey Cove

1086945078_McCoveyCove4.jpg.110177b8481c9a9baa104f0cc6bcb572.jpg

McCovey Cove from the water

217628961_SBCParkScoreboard.jpg.658d228bd76ecc1817061f4672668045.jpg

The Scoreboard at SBC

742783380_McCoveyCove1.jpg.022b5bb04e0b8a03098f1dd0b0960569.jpg

McCovey Cove from the Stadium

2131532130_SBCPark3.jpg.387eca29978625416b658530287dcb96.jpg

Gyendolynne underneath the rubber chickens. These were the chickens they would hang when Bonds was intentionally walked. Our seats were right there for this game.

2093311738_SBCPark5.jpg.98e5d814f6f1846adfb12991862c6e19.jpg

Me, Mike and Bob in the skybox at SBC

1486017193_SBCPark4.jpg.f6b02f7b6b496b463939a758dd0081b5.jpg

Gyendolynne and I in the skybox at SBC

1275690194_sField4.jpg.200b647671c2c295c0da374c9c4bf1cd.jpg

Me under the scoreboard at the Jake

578232563_sField3.jpg.310c02d2fdeb783448ad3bdd13b5c794.jpg

Jacob's field from Left Field

1722409536_sField2.jpg.a953738fdefd66b61b2455299b5b2144.jpg

Right Centerfield at the Jake on the Lake!

578918913_sField1.jpg.c98457d9bb946f86578655915d68fb49.jpg

Jacob's Field

1264053348_ComericaPark3.jpg.47bb0d0542deacb2ac68f0edf8aff1b0.jpg

Gyendolynne and I in front of Comerica Park

2143651396_ComericaPark2.jpg.813987f1833c3f7c6315d977be6e1af4.jpg

Comerica Park Scoreboard

1330617822_ComericaPark1.jpg.174d74dcad85d047dc74b05ac9c07bfe.jpg

Comerica Park, The Centerfield Wall

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

I just went to RFK stadium last night (August 5th) and let me just say it's a very bad place to watch a baseball game. It is really run down (which is not surprising after being abandoned for a long time), it was really hot (although there were thunderstorms west of the stadium), and it's just really ugly. I had good seats (9 rows behind the plate), so that was nice. It was a great game though, the Padres won 6-5. I'm going back tonight except with not quite as good of seats. I'll be getting on the metro in about an hour from now.

Overall, the park is trash. I can't wait until the new park opens.

dreamrfk.jpg.2b422e20fd00bad623a569e28520930e.jpg

Here's RFK stadium, the worst ballpark I've been to.

• 2 years later...

AT&T Park(SBC/Pac-Bell) hands down. No matter where you sit you get great veiws of not only the park, but the bay. The only park that gets close to AT&T is PNC.

The worst park I have been to is Dodger Stadium, it is just like Madison Square Garden, its old and rundown. Now that I think about it, a rundown park is perfect for the Dodgers, because it is like them.

--Chris

I'm a huge baseball fan and I always try to hit a ballpark on any vacation trip. Ive been to:

Busch Stadium (old)

Busch Stadium (new)

Kaufmann Stadium (KC)

Wrigley Field (CHI)

U.S. Cellular Field (CHI)

Comiskey Park (CHI, the old one)

Metrodome (MIN)

Dodger Stadium

Qualcomm Stadium (SD - old)

Riverfront Stadium (CIN -old)

Great American Ballpark (CIN)

Ballpark in Arlington (has a new name)

Minute Maid Park (when it was Enron Field)

Jacobs Field (CLE - has new name)

Yankee Stadium

Fenway Park

Oriole Park at Camden Yards

R.F.K. (WAS, D.C.)

Citizens Bank Park (PHI)

PNC Park (PIT)

County Stadium (MIL, old)

Miller Park (MIL)

Favorites : Fenway & Wrigley (love the history of both)

Camden Yards (favorite modern)

Arlington (2nd fav modern)

Kaufmann (probably tied for the most beautiful w/ Camden Yds)

but there are several others that I loved as well (LA, CLE, PIT, new MIL, new STL)

Riverfront Stadium (d. 2002)

- attended final event, and its implosion

Lots of memories here, it seemed to be even better in its final 2 seasons when they took out the outfield stands and switched to grass. In some ways, I miss it.

Great American Ball Park

- attended open house, first exhibition game, and opening day, 2003

Has some shortcomings, but it pays great tribute to Reds and Cincinnati history, and some great views. Its form is based upon a traditional park, but its architecture is fairly modern, which is nice for a change. There's a part time organist, but if I were owner Bob Castellini, I'd hire another guy to play the games during the week.

Busch Stadium (d. 2005)

- final regular season series, vs. Reds

Yes, it lacked many of the money-making features the New Busch has, but it was the finest of the modernist multi-purpose stadia, designed by well-known Edward Durell Stone. IMO will be the best-admired Busch Stadium of the three (so-far).

Jacobs (Progressive) Field

The new name sounds corny, but I liked the place on my sole visit in 2005. Probably the most impressive scoreboard I've seen so far. Wonderful view of downtown Cleveland. Nice airy modern feel througout. Probably my only beef was the absence of an organist!

New Busch Stadium

- first weekend series, vs. reds, 2006

Exciting and disappointing, IMO. It's got a wonderful open-air view of the Gateway Arch, and is a fair park without the weird dimensions. The mid-level Redbird club was great too, with great dining options and a BIG lounge, and cushioned seat bottoms. But the new stadium seemed to be overloaded with kitschy retro, couldve used more tributes to Cardinals history. Could've used more escalators, and I thought the main scoreboard seemed minor league, especially compared to Jacobs Field. But they kept one thing that never should or does go out of style - a full-time organist.

RFK Stadium

I actually enjoyed this old place last year. Seemed to have been built in a transition between the older parks that had the pole columns, and the multi-purpose ones with the column-free design, especially with the catwalks from the concourse to the upper deck. An abundance of wooden and metal seats, though many were later replaced with the modern plastic/aluminum ones. The form of the park is actually favored for baseball than football, even though the Redskins played there longer than the Senators/Nationals did.

Needless to say, Nationals Park is an upgrade, even though I haven't seen it yet - I do like the very big modern scoreboard and its overall modern style. Both parks next to the great Metro... yes!

Cooper Stadium, Columbus, now in final season. (AAA affiliate of Nationals).

Built 1932, has an interesting mix of modern and historic - first closed in early 70s, and brought out of disrepair and upgraded for 1977. Even with the new Huntington Park next to Nationwide Arena, I might miss this place... though getting to the new park from OSU will be easier.

I've been on the outside of Dayton's Fifth Third Field, and been by Tiger Stadium, PNC Park, (New) Comiskey Park, and Wrigley Field.

And it's downright unlikely for me, but I'd love to see Yankee and Shea Stadium in their final season.

Overall, it's hard for me to say which ball park was the best or the worst... they all had great qualities, though some more than others.

I was born into a MAJOR sports family, so I've visited dozens of baseball parks.

My favorites are probably Pelican Stadium in Myrtle Beach, and the Great American Stadium (?) in Cincinnati.

I don't really have a "worst" ballpark I've been to. I find them all to be beautiful, with great atmosphere! (None come close to amusement parks, though )

Sadly, I've had poor luck with baseball games. I've only been to two ballparks. I've had tickets for games at others (Great American, Turner) or had strong intentions of going (The Jake... err... Progressive, Comis...err ...U.S. Cellular) but didn't make it for various reasons. The two I've been to get high marks though.

Wrigley Field

-I absolutely loved this place. I don't care how old and dilapidated it may be, history and character builds an incomparable atmosphere. I may be lacking a broad spectrum of first-hand experience, but I really think there are few places in the baseball world that provide an experience as great and unique as Wrigley. It's all about things like the ivy, the classic manual scoreboard, those great Chicago hot dogs, and the seventh inning stretch. $1 billion dollar stadiums don't buy that kind of character.

Miller Park

-This was the site of the first MLB game I ever went to and it definitely made quite the impression. They tailgating scene out in the parking lot prior to the game is a nice experience, and the stadium itself was much nicer than I ever would have imagined. While I'm still warming up/not terribly keen to the idea of retractable roof baseball stadiums, I still really enjoyed the place. My $5 seats up in Bernie's Terrace on the top level just beyond the left field post was worth every penny. Things like Bernie Brewer's club house and slide, the sausage races, and the awesome brats with 'stadium sauce' helps give the place some nice character.

It really kills me what the Steinbrenners are doing to Yankee Stadium. I really don't understand how and why they would do such a thing. When they have $1 billion to spend, why couldn't they have just drastically renovated the current stadium? Or hell, I'm sure they could have done something to at least share/use a stadium while they rebuild Yankee Stadium on its current site. Instead they are throwing 85 years of baseball history out the window. Maybe I'm overreacting, but it really grinds my gears. I grew up around one of the greatest sports venues in the world in the form of the Indianapolis Motor Speedway. The place is 99 years old. 99! Sure, it is probably a horrible comparison given its size, but my point is that the place has features which really show how old it is while simultaneously having features that give it a new age feel. They have successful kept the history and character in tact while upgrading the facility to keep up with modern standards. I just can't understand why any owner of the Yankees wouldn't want to do something similar to preserve that history a little bit more.

I know I will crap a hammer if the Cubs ever move to a "new Wrigley Field" or the Red Sox to a "new Fenway."

^Yeah, that's one of the situations in which I don't mind seeing a stadium torn down in favor of a new one. I feel like every baseball team should have a stadium that was purposely built for baseball-only and is capable of being an open-air stadium. So yeah, I'm ready for Oakland, Minnesota, Florida, Tampa Bay, and any other team I might be forgetting to move.

^ Shea is just a piece. I mean, it has a "place in my heart", but I can't wait until it is gone.

I read an interesting Wall Street Journal article this weekend about how new ballparks is a reason why AL teams have flourished in success both economically and on the field over the past couple of decades. I'll have to find it.

^ Yeah, I'm curious about that. Off the top of my head, just over the last 10-12 years, I can think of 8 different teams that have won the World Series:

-Anaheim

-ChiSox

-Yanks

-BoSox

-Arizona

-Braves

-Cards

-Marlins

Of those, it's an even split of divisions, and five of those teams have been playing in the same park since at least 1991. I honestly don't see how the AL has had an overall edge in that regard (if that's what they're implying?), so I'm anxious to read that, Jay.

Im a huge fan of Citizens Bank Park in Philly. It's just flat out beautiful. The Ashburn Alley is one of the nicest sections of a park I've ever seen, and there's just so much to do there. I always go to games and get there when the gates open (1.5-2hrs before the first pitch) and don't get bored once and don't get to my seat until it's game time. The DiamonClub is the most beautiful VIP area I have ever seen in a ballpark area. Great atmosphere as well, and I love the Phillies!!

Here's ashburn alley and stuff if you've never seen it.

http://philadelphia.phillies.mlb.com/phi/ballpark/not_your_typical_ballpark.jsp#ashburn

And i got bored in school one day and found this guy's site. It has nearly every minor league and major league stadium, along with a review and pictures. It's pretty awesome

http://mysite.verizon.net/charliesballparks/stadiums.htm

Angel Stadium - I absolutely love this park. Of course I have a biased opinion being an Angels fan, but it is still a beautiful stadium with a mix of original things like the Big A outside the stadium and the new things like the fountains in center field.

Petco Park - A beautiful facility in Downtown San Diego, a great place to view a game. Personally, I am not fond of the center field area, but I still like the stadium.

Dodger Stadium - Not the best-looking stadium, but one of the most recognizable stadiums in the world. Weird to think that in 2009, we'll be the 3rd oldest stadium in the league behind Fenway and Wrigley.

Metrodome - I went to the stadium when I was really little. All I remember was that it was really loud in there from the speakers.

Has anyone seen the concept art for the Rays new stadium? It looks to be an awesome stadium if it gets built.

Let see:

MLB:

Wrigley - Obviously.

Miller Park

Jacobs Field

Yankee Stadium

Dodger Stadium

Bank One Ballpark

Metrodome

AAA

Slugger Stadium (Louisville Bats)

Fifth Third Field (Dayton Dragons)

A/Independent

Flyer Field (Schaumburg Flyers)

Classic Park (Lake County Captains)

Obviously, I love Wrigley. I hate the fanbase though. As a Cubs fan I'm appalled at the lack of "real" fans there. It really is one big bar. I thought Yankee Stadium was one of the most over rated pieces of crap ever. I liked Dodger Stadium. My first memory of the World Series is watching Kirk Gibson's homer, so it was cool to finally get there and see where it happened.

Let see:

MLB:

Wrigley - Obviously.

Miller Park

Jacobs Field

Yankee Stadium

Dodger Stadium

Bank One Ballpark

Metrodome

Matt, you are a saint. You're from Chicago and U.S. Cellular/Comiskey is nowhere to be found on your list.

Obviously, I love Wrigley. I hate the fanbase though. As a Cubs fan I'm appalled at the lack of "real" fans there. It really is one big bar.

Again, you have reached a new level of awesome for this comment.

^ I knew there was a field I was forgetting! Comiskey. Can I count old and new?

All you have to do is read the Cubs blog I write at to know I can't stand my own brethren. They annoy the H E double hockey sticks out of me.

I'm actually headed to The Cell next week for a season ticket holder event. My buddy is taking me. I get to check out the clubhouses, dugouts, pressbox, bullpens, and even play catch in the outfield. Sound like a PTR? I think it does! Hint, hint!

Wrigley Field is my favorite ballpark and I only got to see 3 outs of baseball. (Rain delay/postponement)

That is really a testament to how awesome this park is. We just walked around the stadium, taking in the atmosphere, and had two or three hot dogs. The hot dogs are the best ones I have had at any sporting event.

My runner-ups would be Turner Field and the Ballpark at Arlington. I went to the latter when it first opened, so it may not be that great now. I really need to get out to some more ball parks.

It really kills me what the Steinbrenners are doing to Yankee Stadium. I really don't understand how and why they would do such a thing. When they have $1 billion to spend, why couldn't they have just drastically renovated the current stadium? Or hell, I'm sure they could have done something to at least share/use a stadium while they rebuild Yankee Stadium on its current site. Instead they are throwing 85 years of baseball history out the window. Maybe I'm overreacting, but it really grinds my gears. I grew up around one of the greatest sports venues in the world in the form of the Indianapolis Motor Speedway. The place is 99 years old. 99! Sure, it is probably a horrible comparison given its size, but my point is that the place has features which really show how old it is while simultaneously having features that give it a new age feel. They have successful kept the history and character in tact while upgrading the facility to keep up with modern standards. I just can't understand why any owner of the Yankees wouldn't want to do something similar to preserve that history a little bit more.

Surely, the grandstands at the Indy Speedway have been totally rebuilt and expanded.... and let's face it, the track has changed from gravel to brick to asphalt.... but it's in the same exact location.

Yankee Stadium was drastically renovated in the 1974-75 seasons, and the team called Shea home those seasons. The columns were remvoved, the upper deck extended, the middle deck reduced, and the famous top roof/frieze became history. And they added 3 sets of esclalators. Sure, the character changed some, and the place better appealed to the luxury suites, those who hate poles, but it remained as Yankee Stadium.

But my real point is, I couldn't agree more about Yankee Stadium, arguably the greatest baseball park ever built. Essentially, it's a modern day Roman Colosseum. Yes, they're trying to replicate the best of the old park, but it's not the same as just improving the old one again.

As much I sorta razz "Citi Field" for going back to retro while slapping on a silly sounding corporate name, Shea doesn't have that appropriate baseball park feel, as it was designed to be be a complete circular multipurpose donut. It's a little weird seeing an old-style park in the middle of a parking lot, but the do Mets need a brand-new park than the Yankees do.

1. Old Comiskey Park - The centerfield shower, Nancy Faust (Baseball's greatest organist), A drunken Harry Caray. The original exploding scoreboard.

2. Wrigley - Great park, but to paraphrase Matt, the fan base is iffy. Lots of tourists, but the true Cub fan is a hard core believer. Lets say they can make an Apple fanboy look like a disinterested technology user.

3. Dodger Stadium - Soon to be the 3rd oldest park in the bigs! Lord I'm old! The 70's Dodgers were classic! Garvey, Yeager, Cey. Great guys!

4. Miller Park - That roof is cool.

5. Kaufmann Stadium - Open, airy, clean. When renovations are complete, it will be a gem.

Single A - Applebee's Park in Lexington, KY. Thirsty Thursday $1 beer night!