TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Roller Coaster Reality Show

Today, I was contacted by a tv development company doing research for a roller coaster reality show. What do you think would make a good tv reality show with a focus on theme parks, roller coasters, and/or enthusiasts?

I've had a few ideas, but nothing that would interest non-enthusiasts. I think that'd be the key. I'd have to be interesting to the general public to get filmed and bought by a network. Ideas?

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What about people losing weight to ride coasters and thigns in parks.

A show like big brother where contestants have to do jobs in a park and get evaulated and kicked off....

Then again, beside the losing weight thing, I doubt anyone would be interested in watching.

I guess there could be one about designing the next big coaster (or helping to design)

I was watching some crazy japanese show where girls had to put on make up while riding a roller coaster. The judges rated them on their appearance not knowing that that's how they had to put on their make up. I was pretty funny. Maybe you could use that too?

G4 just started a show called Hurl, where contestants have to alternate between eating crazy amount of food, and then do intense things. Puke and you're out, the person to last the longest wins a pile of cash.

One episode I saw even used a carnival ride to get them to puke.

Could go in that direction of show.

Honestly, no "contest" would really do well for a show that plans to last more than one season and only have it be about coasters.

What would be cool is something like Deadliest Catch, Dirty Jobs, and that stupid "ice hockey trucks on ice show." Meaning seeing the "behind the scenes" stuff that it takes to run an amusement park (following management, supervisors, operations, guest services, etc). Take "Airline" for example. It dealt with the day to day management of Southwest Airlines, and that would be awesome to see in an amusement park atmosphere. Another good example about that show is that it appealed to everyone. You didn't have to be a pilot do be interested, or have anything to do with the airline industry, but it's still interesting.

Just my .02 worth.

^You just made me chuckle, Phil. And for good measure...Thank you again!!

Anyway, I agree that something along the lines of a behind the scenes/ documentary style of Airline would be entertaining.

Think of the "Dumbest things the GP Have Said" thread. People tend to shut their brains off when entering amusement settings be it a theme park, beach, Jimmy Buffett concert. The end result can be entertaining in and of itself. Fashion Police gone wild...why do some women feel it is appropriate to wear five inch heels in a theme park? That never ceases to amaze me.

I just don't know if the parks would be willing to let people see all of the behind the scenes, keeping the rides operational kind of things. But the day to day operations...gimmicks used to keep smaller parks afloat. Special episodes featuring the looney enthusiasts like us that roll through a park (just not too "heavy" on the ACE please!!). Could be interesting. Or each season they could just follow a smaller park or two showing what they do to compete with the big boys.

I'm rambling, but I hope that was somewhat helpful!

I just don't know if the parks would be willing to let people see all of the behind the scenes, keeping the rides operational kind of things. But the day to day operations...gimmicks used to keep smaller parks afloat.

Disney definetly wouldn't, and they're probably the main chain that would be of major interest of such a show.

A behind the scenes of a Cedar Fair park probably wouldn't be all that interesting.

We had a reality show in Brazil for some time called "The Game". Two teams living in a small town. There was mistery in the town and the teams were detectives. They had clues and had to interview the town citizens to solve the mistery.

It was pretty cool. They could do something like that in a theme park. Clues on the rides. People would have to ride the ride to find the clue, than solve it to find the new clue/lead.

They could do each season in a diferent theme park....

I just don't know if the parks would be willing to let people see all of the behind the scenes, keeping the rides operational kind of things. But the day to day operations...gimmicks used to keep smaller parks afloat.

Disney definetly wouldn't, and they're probably the main chain that would be of major interest of such a show.

A behind the scenes of a Cedar Fair park probably wouldn't be all that interesting.

There is more then enough Drama that goes on at the Cedar Point dorms then MTV's The Real World, literally. It's basically the same premise too, you get a bunch of strangers to live together for up to six months in a tiny gated community (and apartments/ rooms) and shit always hits the fan before long.

We had a reality show in Brazil for some time called "The Game". Two teams living in a small town. There was mistery in the town and the teams were detectives. They had clues and had to interview the town citizens to solve the mistery.

It was pretty cool. They could do something like that in a theme park. Clues on the rides. People would have to ride the ride to find the clue, than solve it to find the new clue/lead.

They could do each season in a diferent theme park....

The show in the US was Murder in Small Town X which aired in 2001 and the contestants were "killed off" at the end of the episode, Stupid Fox didn't bring it back for more then one season though.