TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Astroland is Dead

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had 3 trips to Astroland & got on Cyclone 15x & enjoyed every ride on it. I liked all of the dark rides in both Astroland & Wonder Wheel. Hopefully SpookORama will be staying anyone no if it is? At Astroland besides Cyclone I rode Big Apple Coaster (I'm a Credit Whore), the Pirate Ship, & the drop tower. I enjoyed Astroland & hope to still ride Cyclone sometime in 2009. Will that operate in 2009?

Me under Astroland's sign in August of 2007.

I know that a lot of people are very upset about the whole Astroland thing, but I really do see this as a great opportunity for the city and Coney Island. Granted, there will be a lot of debate, time, money and planning, but it would be a great start to cleaning up the area. Sure, a lot of the nostalgia is gone, but, honestly, I don't really care that much about it. In my one trip to Coney, I absolutely hated the environment. And, of course some very good rides are gone now, but the rides and attractions that really matter are still around (Cyclone, Wonder Wheel, independents like El Dorado). I like the idea of development in this area. I'm sure it won't happen for a while, but I really hope that it all goes through.

I know that a lot of people are very upset about the whole Astroland thing, but I really do see this as a great opportunity for the city and Coney Island. Granted, there will be a lot of debate, time, money and planning, but it would be a great start to cleaning up the area. Sure, a lot of the nostalgia is gone, but, honestly, I don't really care that much about it. In my one trip to Coney, I absolutely hated the environment. And, of course some very good rides are gone now, but the rides and attractions that really matter are still around (Cyclone, Wonder Wheel, independents like El Dorado). I like the idea of development in this area. I'm sure it won't happen for a while, but I really hope that it all goes through.

Amusement parks > condos, at least imho.

I've never been up there, hopefully this next summer I can make the trip up to NY and get on Cyclone finally.

The world doesn't revolve around amusement parks. Plus, there won't just be condos, there is a plan for a city-owned but privately operated amusement park set up on the Boardwalk. There are a ton of things that need to be discussed and drawn up though, which makes everything very unlikely.

http://www.brooklynpaper.com/stories/32/3/32_3_mm_coney_main.html

I just kind of feel like there is going to be a big empty lot there for a very long time. Progress needs to be made on the site ASAP, or else it will turn into a bad idea.

I am definitely a preservationist, and one thing I truly love about Coney's old amusement area is how non-corporate it has remained. I would rather have the "Brooklyn flavor" that seems to put people off than some sanitized corporate playland. (I enjoy those places as well, but we have enough of them!) If the latter comes to fruition, the entire Coney/Brighton Beach neighborhood will suffer, believe me. People will be driven out by gentrification.

My fiance and I are getting married at Coney in August-- that's how much I love it there. And I can't wait to have photos in front of the Cyclone, the old Child's building, and of course, the Parachute Drop. These things might not be shiny and new-- they probably look derelict to most people-- but they're an important part of American culture. Think of it as an outdoor museum.

Astroland admittedly wasn't great, and I'm not that sad to see a bunch of portable rides go. But I do hope Coney retains its spirit and doesn't turn into Joe Sitt condo hell.

ETA

<---- this is me on the old Coney Zipper. It ran FAST!

I am definitely a preservationist, and one thing I truly love about Coney's old amusement area is how non-corporate it has remained. I would rather have the "Brooklyn flavor" that seems to put people off than some sanitized corporate playland. (I enjoy those places as well, but we have enough of them!) If the latter comes to fruition, the entire Coney/Brighton Beach neighborhood will suffer, believe me. People will be driven out by gentrification.

My fiance and I are getting married at Coney in August-- that's how much I love it there. And I can't wait to have photos in front of the Cyclone, the old Child's building, and of course, the Parachute Drop. These things might not be shiny and new-- they probably look derelict to most people-- but they're an important part of American culture. Think of it as an outdoor museum.

Astroland admittedly wasn't great, and I'm not that sad to see a bunch of portable rides go. But I do hope Coney retains its spirit and doesn't turn into Joe Sitt condo hell.

ETA

<---- this is me on the old Coney Zipper. It ran FAST!

Congratulations! I hope your CI ceremony is great!

I too like the certain 'brashness' that Coney Island has and would like to see it keep that edge. And I think the reason I personally liked Astroland was because that was the only park that actually ran their rides fast and/or on long cycles. Actually, many of the CI ride operators seem to do that. Especially the Zipper while it was still there; unfortunately my one ride on the CI Zipper was during a misting rain which caused the drives to slip resulting in just an OK ride.