TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

2008 Golden Tickets

Hey, let's not forget about the barftastic twits that keep voting for the same stuff every year. They need to get more ballots out to people that have been to more places that CP.

But their voter pool sounds impressive to me:

More than 84 percent of them have been to 50 or more parks, and 88 percent of them have visited parks outside their home country. 92 percent of them own at least one season pass, and 60 percent own two or more. On average, 39 percent report they visit 10-20 parks each year, and 26 percent state they visit more than 20. 47 percent boast that they have been on more than 500 roller coasters, with 41 percent claiming a range between 250-500.

Why the HECK does Cedar Point keep winning? I don't get it.

One thing I did notice was that Efteling came in second place for landscaping behind BGE. While I personally think that Efteling's landscaping is 8293492349234923942394239x better than BGE's, this is somewhat encouraging.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I just never understand year after year "Best Kids Area - Kings Island." Um...HELLO.... *FANTASYLAND*

I do believe that I am not alone on this one but I would much rather take KidTums on every ride in any Disney Fantasyland over freaking King's Island where you find pretty much the "Zamperla Catalog" of kids rides.

Never got that one....

I just never understand year after year "Best Kids Area - Kings Island." Um...HELLO.... *FANTASYLAND*

I do believe that I am not alone on this one but I would much rather take KidTums on every ride in any Disney Fantasyland over freaking King's Island where you find pretty much the "Zamperla Catalog" of kids rides.

Never got that one....

Just Disney World in general...I mean, I know KI has a few nice kiddie rides but let's face it. There are way better parks out there with rides kids of younger ages could ride. Yeah this might be the better kids area for kids maybe 6-10....but Scooby Doo sucks, Wild Thornberry's is boring, Odd Coaster is rouuuggghhh, Reptar's line is horrible, and operations get tight during this time of the year...and even worse during Halloween Haunt! Oh, and you have that flow of people going through to get to the water park. Yuck!

But hey, maybe it's the blue ice cream

-J 'It's nice, above par even...but not the best...' Z

Dollywood continues to move up in several categories... stealth style....

One day, we will overtake Holiday World for 'Friendliest Park'... mark my words.

AMEN AMEN AMEN.

And They will beat SFFT for Best Shows and should've this year and last.

And Congrats to them for new Category Best in Christmas Event. Otherwise same old bore.

Never got that one....

Good lord, tell me about it. Dark rides with classic characters, atmosphere to burn (at all the "Magic Kingdom" parks), and flat rides that parents can enjoy along with their kids.

Good lord, tell me about it. Dark rides with classic characters, atmosphere to burn (at all the "Magic Kingdom" parks), and flat rides that parents can enjoy along with their kids.

Woah, woah, woah............Chuck...you're telling me giant head Dora the Explorer fat suits and catchy High School Musical tunes doesn't fit the Golden Ticket Kid Section atmosphere?! Heracy, I say!

-J "Dole Whip >>>>>>>> Blue Ice Cream" Z

Never got that one....

What's funny about that is there is no Disney park even in the top 5 for Kid's Areas. The only reason I could think for this is if they consider the Magic Kingdom parks to be children's parks and that this category is reserved for kiddie sections within regular amusement parks. Not saying I agree with this logic, but it could offer an explanation of sorts.

In other news, here are the results for 2009:

Best Amusement Park

Cedar Point, Sandusky, Ohio

Best Waterpark

Schlitterbahn Waterpark Resort, New Braunfels, Texas

Best Children’s Park

Legoland California, Carlsbad, Calif.

Best Marine Life Park

SeaWorld Orlando, Orlando, Fla.

Best Seaside Park

Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk, Santa Cruz, Calif.

Best Wooden Coaster

The Voyage at Holiday World, Santa Claus, Ind.

Best Steel Coaster

Superman Ride of Steel

at Six Flags New England, Agawam, Mass.

Best Kids’ Area

Kings Island, Kings Mills, Ohio

Friendliest Staff

Holiday World & Splashin’ Safari, Santa Claus, Ind.

Cleanest Park

Holiday World & Splashin’ Safari, Santa Claus, Ind.

Best Halloween Event

Halloween Horror Nights at Universal Orlando, Orlando, Fla..

Best Landscaping

Busch Gardens Europe, Williamsburg, Va.

Best Christmas Event

Smoky Mountain Christmas at Dollywood,

Pigeon Forge, Tenn.

Best Food

Knoebels Amusement Resort, Elysburg, Pa.

Best Shows

Six Flags Fiesta Texas, San Antonio

Best Outdoor Night Show Production

IllumiNations: Reflections of the Earth

at Walt Disney World’s Epcot Center, Orlando, Fla.

Best Water Ride

Dudley Do-Right’s Ripsaw Falls

at Universal’s Islands of Adventure, Orlando, Fla.

Best Waterpark Ride

Master Blaster at Schlitterbahn Waterpark Resort,

New Braunfels, Texas

Best Dark Ride

Amazing Adventures of Spiderman

at Universal’s Islands of Adventure, Orlando, Fla.

Best New Ride of 2009 - Amusement Park

Pilgrims Plunge at Holiday World, Santa Claus, Ind.

Best New Ride of 2009 - Waterpark

Whatever Schlitterbahn is building.

Best Carousel

Grand Carousel at Knoebels Amusement Resort,

Elysburg, Pa.

Best Indoor Roller Coaster

Revenge of the Mummy at Universal Orlando,

Orlando, Fla.

Best Indoor Waterpark

Schlitterbahn Galveston Island, Galveston, Texas

Best Funhouse/Walk-Through Attraction

Frankenstein’s Castle at Indiana Beach, Monticello, Ind.

^ Well done. Thanks for the insider info.

Though with Prowler, Manta, Hollywood Rip Ride Rockit, Diamondback, the unnamed GCI(s?) in Cali, Mirabilandia's new thing, Europa's new thing, and Australia's AQUATRAX, Pilgrim's Plunge may not run away with the New Ride category.

...Actually, those last three I listed are foreign, so nevermind those. They can't win. And none of the others are at CP, so you're right.

^ Paul, Diamondback is in Ohio. It is therefore automatically eligible to win every category, including best new water ride because of the splashdown.

Over/under on this thread is set at 11 pages.

Scott, if I vote for you, will you make things right with these damn "Golden Tickets"?

Since I believe ACE is a major group that votes, I'm guessing what park offers them the biggest gravy buffet. lol

Wow! A very intelligent response. First of all, you have no idea who's voting so don't make assumptions. Secondly, it seems plenty of TPR posters also vote. Those who receive ballots are people considered to be well-traveled. Based on the percentages given in another reply, I'd say that's very true. Robb and Elisa, just curious, do you guys get ballots? I'd say they're well traveled and probably deserve a shot (whether they care to or not is another story).

That said, I don't agree with many of the results but who really does? What I'd like to see is some change or variety. I wonder if some voters don't know who to vote for (like shows, most enthusiasts probably see one a year if that) and just keep going with what everyone else does. IMHO, Holiday World's employees are absolutely not the friendliest. And Knoebels? I love Knoebels but most of the ride ops there are efficient, yes, but friendly? C'mon! Dollywood is close and they deserve it. I'd say I've encountered friendlier employees at most Six Flags parks over those parks. No joke.

Disney parks are severly lacking in the results. To me, it's hard to find much better in most categories. I'll take Epcot's food over Knoebels food any day for example. Again, I love Knoebels but give credit where credit is due. And Dudley Do-Right best water ride?? Maybe 6 years ago. I'd throw a ride like Morey's Zoom Phloom in there. I don't think every winner is too far off though. Lots are spot on but the poll just isn't perfect. It's just too hard to get a true read on "best of the best" no matter who you poll. Everyone's opinions differ. The results do get old and tiring though.

Finally, I will say that the results do matter to park PR. It's huge to be able to market your park or ride as "best anything" and the Golden Ticket awards are very credible in the industry. Hell, some parks like SCBB actually campaign for votes and even take out ads.

Well, just my buck fifty. I guess I was just bothered by the ACE comment. Let's face it, while some enthusiasts may appear "cooler" than others, we're all just a bunch of dorks. Deal with it.

I am happy to see that El Toro has moved up on the list. It should be higher though. I can never get over Storm Runner being so low.

I agree. Its actually my favorite steel coaster due to its extreme intensity. I found it to be a much better ride than SROS, which was a huge letdown, but I understand that I might have hit it on a bad day. Im happy to see Nitro up there though because its a truly fantastic ride in my opinion.

As for the wooden coasters I have ridden, El Toro, Phoenix and Boulder Dash seems to be where they belong, although maybe not in that order. Thunderbird deserves to be higher in my opinion. I cant understand why Lightning Racer is doing so high on the list as its more like a giant family coaster compared to many of the other coasters on the list.

A more important question to ask: Who cares?

---Brent

Parks, the GT awards offer an incredible marketing opportunity...anyone who's been to SFNE and ridden S:ROS knows how much they promote it being the "number one coaster"

what I want to know is when can I join the panel? I've been to over 50 parks, ridden 316 coasters, own 2 season passes, ridden coasters outside of my home country ect...Maybe because magnum and beast aren't in my top ten?

Since I believe ACE is a major group that votes, I'm guessing what park offers them the biggest gravy buffet. lol

Wow! A very intelligent response. First of all, you have no idea who's voting so don't make assumptions. Secondly, it seems plenty of TPR posters also vote. Those who receive ballots are people considered to be well-traveled. Based on the percentages given in another reply, I'd say that's very true. Robb and Elisa, just curious, do you guys get ballots? I'd say they're well traveled and probably deserve a shot (whether they care to or not is another story).

If you read my other posts in the thread where I mentioned why I thought those that one did, you'd understand that that post was meant to be a joke. I know that a gravy buffet has nothing to do with who wins an award. Anyways, I thought that many of those who voted in the Golden Tickets were members of ACE, which is why I tried to make a joke at them. I'm sorry if I offended anyone, and I didn't mean to be an @$$.