Guitar Hero World tour Vs. Rock Band 2

kalvin

Rock Band 2 or Guitar hero World Tour  

77 members have voted

1. 1. Rock Band 2 or Guitar hero World Tour

• guitar hero world tour
    • rock band 2

Here is some info on the new Guitar Hero Smash Hits:

May 6, 2009 - Activision has unveiled the highly-anticipated set list for Guitar Hero Smash Hits, the quintessential Guitar Hero game that allows players to join together and rock to the 48 most fun-to-play songs, all available as master tracks. Players will fall in love with their favorite Guitar Hero music all over again as they rock to anthems from Guitar Hero, Guitar Hero II, Guitar Hero Encore: Rocks the 80s and Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock, and enjoy them for the first time as a full band experience with updated note tracks for guitar and bass, as well as entirely new gameplay for the drum kit controller and microphone.

Guitar Hero Smash Hits features the most memorable songs from Guitar Hero games together in one epic set list, available on June 16, 2009:

Guitar Hero

? Blue ?yster Cult - "Godzilla"

? Boston - "More Than A Feeling"

? Deep Purple - "Smoke On The Water"

? Franz Ferdinand - "Take Me Out"

? Helmet - "Unsung (Live)"

? Incubus - "Stellar"

? Joan Jett & The Blackhearts - "I Love Rock N' Roll"

? Ozzy Osbourne - "Bark At The Moon"

? Pantera - "Cowboys From Hell (Live)"

? Queen - "Killer Queen"

? Queens Of The Stone Age - "No One Knows"

? The Donnas - "Take It Off"

? The Exies - "Hey You"

? White Zombie - "Thunder Kiss '65"

Guitar Hero II

? Alice In Chains - "Them Bones"

? Avenged Sevenfold - "Beast And The Harlot"

? Danzig - "Mother"

? Foo Fighters - "Monkey Wrench"

? Iron Maiden - "The Trooper"

? Jane's Addiction - "Stop!"

? Kansas - "Carry On Wayward Son"

? Lamb Of God - "Laid To Rest"

? Lynyrd Skynyrd - "Free Bird"

? M?tley Cr?e- "Shout At The Devil"

? Nirvana - "Heart-Shaped Box"

? Rage Against The Machine - "Killing In The Name"

? Reverend Horton Heat - "Psychobilly Freakout"

? Rush - "YYZ"

? Stone Temple Pilots - "Trippin' On A Hole In A Paper Heart"

? The Police - "Message In A Bottle"

? The Sword - "Freya"

? Warrant - "Cherry Pie"

? Wolfmother - "Woman"

Guitar Hero Encore: Rocks the 80s

? Anthrax - "Caught In A Mosh"

? Extreme - "Play With Me"

? Judas Priest - "Electric Eye"

? Poison - "Nothin' But A Good Time"

? Ratt - "Round and Round"

? Twisted Sister - "I Wanna Rock"

Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock

? AFI - "Miss Murder"

? DragonForce - "Through The Fire And Flames"

? Heart - "Barracuda"

? Kiss - "Rock And Roll All Nite"

? Living Colour - "Cult Of Personality"

? Pat Benatar - "Hit Me With Your Best Shot"

? Priestess - "Lay Down"

? Slayer - "Raining Blood"

Guitar Hero: Aerosmith

? Aerosmith - "Back In The Saddle"

More Info

And if anyone cares Rock Band announced their new Lego Rock Band a couple months ago. I think the idea is stupid.

--Chris

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Honestly, I like Rock Band in general a lot more than Guitar Hero: World Tour.

The peripherals seem a lot more reliable, the graphics are much more stylized and not painful to look at on PS2, and I like the music a lot more.

I've been on Guitar Hero games since GH2 came out, but Rock Band has pretty much changed my mind about it.

I thought the Tool songs were going to be fun, but on Guitar and Bass they're EXTREMELY repetitive.

Um, that's music. It is repetetive.

Ever listen to Prog rock? Yup.

^And also that is sort of TOOL's thing. Have you heard Schism, all it basically is is that one riff the whole song(which is hella cool btw).

--Chris

It's a great riff, don't get me wrong, which is why I was *Excited* (Did you all miss that part?) to play it. But in the end, it just didn't translate well to a music game.

That's where I think Guitar Hero falls short to me. All the bands on GH:WT I've heard of. Don't get me wrong though, Hendrix and Van Halen are excellent and I wish that Rock Band had grabbed them, but its also exciting to discover new music from these games.

RB has gotten me into many bands that I had never even heard of before such as The Mother Hips, The Silversun Pickups (I know, GH has them too, but they were in RB first and where I know them from) and The Fratellies. RB has also gotten me to listen to lesser known rock bands and classic rock such as The Cars, The Pixies, Rush, and James Gang.

It just seems like Rock Band picks songs and bands that reach into a broader spectrum of rock, instead of only pumping out songs that everyone knows like Guitar Hero does.

Now I know what some people are probably thinking, "Oh, but I like to play songs that I know" and I know there are some of you out there that are afraid to step out of boundaries to discover new music and only want to play songs you know. Rock Band has PLENTY of songs I know, but it's fun to find songs that are good, solid songs, but also translate well to a music game.

Now, there is also the issue of Guitar Hero saturating the market with their games. Guitar Hero has 16 games total, and none of the songs between them are compatible with the other Guitar Hero branded games (Besides choice DLC from GH:WT). Rock Band has 5 games total, two of which aren't even released yet and RB1 songs are compatible with RB2, as well as all of the DLC.

Now, I don't want to keep switching discs to play the songs I want to play and that's where I see GH lacking. You can't export any songs from their past games into future games or vice versa. Rock Band you can, and with that:

RB1 tracks = 55 (Exportable)

RB2 tracks = 84

DLC tracks = 524

AC/DC track pack = 18 (Exportable)

That is a total of 681 songs you can possibly have and play with only one disc.

GH:WT tracks = 86

DLC tracks = 121

Only 207 songs. Smash Hits will not be importable either.

That's where I think Guitar Hero falls short to me. All the bands on GH:WT I've heard of. Don't get me wrong though, Hendrix and Van Halen are excellent and I wish that Rock Band had grabbed them, but its also exciting to discover new music from these games.

See there's stuff on GH:WT that I'd never heard of too, so it was cool to me.

I finally picked up RB1 cheap a few moths ago, and I love the way they've implemented DLC and track packs to be available to updated versions of the game. GH is severely lacking in DLC and being able to uses tunes in multiple versions of the game. The fact that they aren't making Smash Hits a large track pack disc shows they don't "get it."

Overall, I like both games, but I'm now leaning towards the RB franchise.

Oh snap Guitar Hero 5 was unofficially announced today:

May 15, 2009 - An unauthorized press release has apparently been leaked by Activision, offering up the first Guitar Hero 5 details. IGN contacted Activision for more and was informed that a retraction is forthcoming, but here's what was made available.

Guitar Hero 5 will be released this fall and offer up the ability to play with any combination of instruments players desire. That means that if nobody wants to sing, three people can play guitar and a fourth can bang the drums. Or, if everybody loves drumming you can set up four kits in your living room and all play together.

Perhaps the biggest news is that all Guitar Hero World Tour downloadable tracks you might have will be compatible with Guitar Hero 5. Anything you have purchased or downloaded up to this point will be integrated into the upcoming game and all of the Guitar Hero 5 enhancements will automatically insert themselves into the old tracks. No word yet on whether you will be able to import the Guitar Hero World Tour disc-based tracks to your hard drive and play them with Guitar Hero 5 the way you could with Rock Band and Rock Band 2.

New game modes include Party Play and RockFest. Party Play has a drop-in, drop-out functionality where players can be added or removed from a tune without cycling through menus and pausing the action. RockFest is a "comprehensive competitive experience" that offers five new head-to-head modes that can be played online or off. The GHMusic Studio will return and new "innovations" are promised including Band Moments (where players are rewarded for hitting special note streams together) and song-specific challenges.

Guitar Hero 5 will offer music from 85 bands, with 30 artists making their music-rhythm game debuts. All of the songs will be unlocked from the moment the game is first turned on. Included in the release are the first eight songs confirmed to be in the game. They are:

The Rolling Stones : Sympathy for the Devil

Bob Dylan: All Along The Watchtower

The White Stripes : Blue Orchid

Santana : No One To Depend On (LIVE)

Vampire Weekend : A-Punk

Tom Petty: Runnin Down a Dream

Johnny Cash : Ring of Fire

Kings of Leon: Sex on Fire

--Chris

• 2 weeks later...

Although GH5 looks amazing, I just made the full switch over to RB2 after seeing the new Iron Maiden track pack:

"Aces High" (Live)

"2 Minutes to Midnight"

"The Trooper"

"Wasted Years"

"The Number of the Beast"

"Run to the Hills"

"Can I Play With Madness"

"The Clairvoyant"

"Powerslave"

"Fear of the Dark" (Live)

"Hallowed Be Thy Name" (Live)

"Iron Maiden" (Live)