TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Worlds of Fun (WOF) Discussion Thread

http://www.worldsoffun.com/public/news/whatsnew.cfm

After spending the day conquering acres of thrilling rides at Kansas City’s amusement park, relax and enjoy the warm summer breeze surrounded by stunning light. The sparkling beauty of Worlds of Fun at night comes alive with the addition of Snoopy’s Hot Summer Lights, an immersive light and sound experience starring everyone’s favorite PEANUTS characters and their summertime adventures, new in 2010.

Featuring over 2 million LED lights, the colorful canopy invites guests to explore a breathtaking display the entire family will enjoy. The world-famous Woodstock leads a fun-filled adventure through the Africa and Europa sections of the park, which is host to the PEANUTS characters enjoying the outdoors. Along the lighted walkway, larger than life replicas of Snoopy and the gang invite guests to interact in displays and games featuring summertime favorites like picnics, campfires, and sports.

The shimmering midways make a perfect backdrop for family photos and video of this amazing visual display. Guests will be immersed in the attraction through the use of cutting edge special effects and sound design, and can also interact with fantasy characters like giant fireflies, swimming sea creatures, and colorful caterpillars.

“Snoopy’s Hot Summer Lights will be the perfect way for our guest to end their day in the park,” states Frank Wilburn, Vice President and General Manager at Worlds of Fun. “Everyone in the family will enjoy the sights and sounds of summer throughout this dramatic display.”

Custom designed for Worlds of Fun by EMMY® Award-Winning RWS and Associates, New York, New York, Snoopy’s Hot Summer Lights is a one million dollar investment. The show is designed using a diverse mixture of low energy and high efficiency LED lighting. LED lights reduce the emission of carbon dioxide and do not contain mercury. The LED displays are supplemented by a variety of professional lighting designs and audio soundtracks throughout the attraction.

Snoopy’s Hot Summer Lights will debut Friday, June 4, 2010, and will run through September 5, 2010. The display will begin daily at sunset and remain open until park closing time. Worlds of Fun opens for its 38th season on Saturday, April 17, 2010.

• 4 weeks later...

Hip Hip huray!!! We get lights this year! Sounds like a great thing to atract a crowd when a new massive waterpark is setting up across town. No new water ride at OOF, no new ride at WOF. Lets see-GWL put a triple tornado in and SV is adding phase 2 and 3 this year. Yea, CF is doing a great job! If I want to see lights I will go to the Plaza, I want flat rides!!!!!!!!

The lights certainly aren't the most exciting addition but it will probably keep families there a little later, which means extra dough.

And I wouldn't get my hopes up regarding new phases at SVV this summer. I think that they're additions will be a bit more modest.

• 3 months later...

I had the pleasure of riding Prowler yesterday and wanted to make a few comments.

It's definitely one of the better GCIIs. It has nice airtime, great pacing (read: goes very fast the whole time), and a wonderful "out-of-control" sensation going on.

But, is it really a top 10 woodie that is better than Phoenix and half of the Intamin woodies? No. Not really. I'd be really surprised if it stays in the top 10 this year.

I had the pleasure of riding Prowler yesterday and wanted to make a few comments.

It's definitely one of the better GCIIs. It has nice airtime, great pacing (read: goes very fast the whole time), and a wonderful "out-of-control" sensation going on.

But, is it really a top 10 woodie that is better than Phoenix and half of the Intamin woodies? No. Not really. I'd be really surprised if it stays in the top 10 this year.

Hey, I was there too! Prowler was my favorite GCII also, but I've only ridden one side of Gwazi and Thunderhead besides Prowler... It's in my top 10, but only because I've only ridden 36 woodies so far.

http://themeparkreview.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=56088

^Heres my PTR!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm surprised this hasn't been posted yet... Check this out!

Good morning!

How about a couple more hints for our 2011 announcement! Remember, August 8 you can find out whats in store! Plus, if you want to make a day of it, we have a special character breakfast on the 8th. Check out the homepage for details.

Here is the list so far...

1. Snoopy is the star (as you might have guessed with the present)

2. Its pretty cool

3. Its going in close proximity to where the present is

4. Not a roller coaster but there is tracks

5. Tower

6. Six

7. Rockin'

8. 40 feet

9. Liquid

10. Over $1 million

New today...

11. Over $2 million

12. Over $3 million

13. Over $4 million

14. Over $5 million

15. Going to be a good time for families!

Big shout out to all the folks that participated in Coasting for Kids yesterday! We will get some video of that event up soon. Have a great Friday!

http://www.worldsoffun.com/public/fun/blog/index.cfm

I wouldn't be surprised if they took out Viking Voyager and did what CP did... Make a new water ride! (STR)

The WoF blog has been giving hints for a couple of weeks now. It looks like a new theater/ice show or a change over to Planet from Camp Snoopy with kiddie ride additions.

According to the clues it's over $5 mill.

• 3 weeks later...

So my friend posts something on Facebook not too long ago today about how she used her camera on "the Voyager ride". I don't know what that is, but she said it is BS. Now she has friends posting and telling her that it is an "invasion of privacy" to do that.. because they made her delete the pictures. I told her that she is extremely lucky that they did not eject her from the park, and from the signs I have seen ... could be up to five years. I have never been at this specific park to say...but I was wondering what everyone who does go has to say. We all know that it is not allowed to take pics on coasters, but are there signs that say this? I went to the website, and in the rules, there is a specific section regarding cameras. It is a No No. I know I have seen signs outside of rides at Cedar Point, so I cannot imagine that there are none at Worlds of Fun. I am sure they are at the very least posted at the park entrance somewhere. Anyone know for sure that they are posted? Maybe even have a picture? I am determined to prove my point to her, as if she doesn't believe me.. Some of the GP are clueless about these things. I still want to prove my point though...

• 3 weeks later...

Worlds of Fun has sent us a press release about their latest [successful] charitable cause...

Worlds of Fun guests and Price Chopper are pleased to announce 103,441 meals raised for Harvesters--The Community Food Network, during Cans for Coasters 2010 at Worlds of Fun.

This total is nearly double the 2009 food drive total of 56,069 meals.

Harvesters feeds as many as 66,000 people every week in 26 counties by collecting food and household products, distributing those products to those in need, and offering educational programs to increase community awareness to hunger. Cans for Coasters provides meals to all ages, children to senior citizens, through Harvesters network of food pantries, kitchens, and shelters. Harvesters is our regions only food bank and is a member of Feeding America, the nation’s food bank network.

^^ @WoF, the no picture rules are on the ride safety signs posted at the entrance to the rides (the one that tells you that booooooomerrang is a 5 on the intensity level)

I have a pic of a haunt sign (pretty much the same as a ride sign), it's the only safety sign in my 500 pic collection from WoF

1100545403_WorldsofFun8_14.10048.jpg.bbf9b7a329db88f47f42bc0c2a07c11a.jpg

They can kick you out of the park for bringing a camera on a ride. I don't think they can make you delete photos. In fact, I think it would be illegal for them to do that. However, I think they could tell you that they won't kick you out of the park if you delete the photos. In that case, I think most people would delete the photos.

Hey, quick question. I couldn't figure out where to put this and if it is pointless, delete the post. Anyway, does anyone have an top view of Orient Express? I remember the ride when I was little but I would like a good view because I would like to recreate it somewhat. Thanks in advance.

• 3 weeks later...

well boys and girls, Worlds of Fun posted this out on the facebook page a few days ago...

safe_image.jpg.93f69e28b8d183886588cff1c074b2df.jpg

Titled "Not for Planet Snoopy! Construction starts soon! Like really soon."

with an image file name of "safe_image" could it be that we are about to see where CF is going to spend some of the rest of their money? No date or any other info was given, checked the blog, nothing their either...not to mention I didn't see any flags last weekend, anywhere, so that makes me think water park maybe?

From the WoF Facebook page about an hour ago:

Greetings blog readers! Happy Wednesday! Check out what I discovered when I tried to visit my usual picnic table in Festhaus for lunch. We've moved the tables all around the Tivoli areas because Festhaus will be un-available from here on out. More info to come on that! Over at Planet Snoopy, some markings have shown up but no real visible construction work has begun. Since we announced the project the overall scope has changed just a ton, and now its a $6 million project instead of five Hooray! The Samba Balloon Tower has changed locations, and a couple of rides currently in Camp Snoopy will move just a bit, but everything is staying in the park. I'll detail more later. Have a great day and I'll be back with more soon.

I had a funny feeling they were going to do something up front, I'm guessing a more permanent building as festhaus is used everyday and don't really see them putting in a ride at the very entrance to the park.

festhaus.jpg.7405fbea121d92bc9de3c09ecdd9f544.jpg

They're finally ridding the park of Der Festhaus? Yay! I hope they replace it with more modern beer hall-like building with air conditioning....It'd be awesome if they upgraded the whole area from it's 1973 look to something new and pretty, but that's just a pipe dream.

Anxiously waiting for Planet Snoopy pics!

Anyone else going to the park for Haunt tomorrow? My son and I are looking forward to driving up in the morning to be there all evening and into the night.

Also, can I expect to have time to hit ALL of the "extreme haunts" in one night or have the lines been too long to be able to hit them all in one night?

Thanks!

Chris - Sorry I didn't get to this until you were already, well, in the haunts. I went on opening saturday night and lines were lengthy, didn't get to everything, but then again, I did hang around Prowler alot later in the night. Curious to know how it was for you tonight, other haunt attractions for today I hear are packing them in like sardines! SFOT tomorrow for me.

Well sports fans, it looks like WoF is not planning a thrill ride or coaster for their second project. The blog indicates that Festhuas won't return to it's current location or in its current state, and apparently not a redo of their entrance, so, just what is up their sleeve? Apparently they won't be releasing any more hints until after the 31st of Oct. Brandon says it will be awesome, and there was talk (more like rumor) of a new theatre some time ago, but just don't see the room there for that. We really need some spies at the park, of course, a total surprise is always better than say, having the plans spilt on a project only to find out we (or the plans) were wrong.

From the WoF Blog:

The Festhaus tent is gone, they are still hinting that Festhaus will end up somewhere else, but probably not in tent form.

and in case you care, or don't believe my paraphrasing, you can read the rest and a few more pictures here

DSCN5082.jpg.adf444ad14130098bacad5c5db4d8866.jpg

This is where the front of park construction will take place.

DSCN5072.jpg.11090985b3b3a949cc4e3983ba588cf6.jpg

and this thing is...

DSCN5073.jpg.142bd74797e30aa1f92fcb7703f19dad.jpg

leaving the park.