TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Worlds of Fun (WOF) Discussion Thread

On 1/22/2023 at 5:34 PM, AmyUD06 said:

I don't think they understand what the term "live blog" means...but yeah, good for them.

I mean, a live blog is providing commentary to something as it takes place with short updates. That is literally what they are doing. Providing regular updates of the construction progress.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, WOF_Fan said:

I mean, a live blog is providing commentary to something as it takes place with short updates. That is literally what they are doing. Providing regular updates of the construction progress.

Pretty sure that definition is just a regular "blog" and a "live blog" is, y'know, updated in real time as things are happening..."live."  But I'm almost 40, what do I know about these crazy youth terms.

• Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...

Holy crap those clearances. I know it's been discussed before, but it's pretty wild that they are building a coaster from the ground up in 2023 that you'll have to be careful not to reach out to the sides. I'm sure the trains will have arm guards to prevent this. 

It's such an old school design and I love it. 

• Like 4

• 1 month later...
On 4/3/2023 at 8:44 AM, DarienPoint said:

Based on the 2023 park map (it was posted on a Facebook group), Falcon's Flight is removed from the map. So either it is SBNO or completely trashed. :(

Monsoon was also removed from the map as well as 3 or 4 different rides in Planet Snoopy. I can understand why they'd remove Falcon's Flight considering how much of a maintenance headache it seems to be. I mean, I can count the days it operated last season on a single hand. Monsoon was a bit surprising, but it has rapidly deteriorated in the last few years. I don't spend much time around OOF, but I've heard from others that it spent most of last year running a single boat and suffering constant lift issues. The real head scratcher are the few rides removed from Planet Snoopy.

Also it appears Gold Rush Pizza is closed this year, with nothing to replace it (I assume the Gateway Pizza at the entrance replaces it.). Arcade was moved from Zinger exit area to where the old arcade was in Americana that was used as a dressing room the past few years.  Also, I forget the name, but the Cake place in Europa (used to be pizza) is off the map too.  That appeared closed since Covid anyhow.  No replacement there.  So there's a new coaster but a net loss with so many removals.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jazma said:

Also it appears Gold Rush Pizza is closed this year, with nothing to replace it (I assume the Gateway Pizza at the entrance replaces it.). Arcade was moved from Zinger exit area to where the old arcade was in Americana that was used as a dressing room the past few years.  Also, I forget the name, but the Cake place in Europa (used to be pizza) is off the map too.  That appeared closed since Covid anyhow.  No replacement there.  So there's a new coaster but a net loss with so many removals.

I haven't seen anything suggesting Gold Rush Pizza is gone. The sign was off the building last weekend, but several signs were down. Europa doesn't get the traffic is used to, but it appears Forum Road is off the map this year, so maybe they will get more interest there now as people will have to go through it.

^ Good to know.  It was off the map as a food location, but perhaps the concept is just changing, or an oversight.  Let Them Eat Cake! is the location in Europa also not listed on the map.  I had forgotten the name.  But I have not seen that open since 2019 or so.

2 hours ago, DarienPoint said:

Does WoF have any issues with finding staff? I wonder why a lot of things are being removed or not operated.

I personally feel they've done better than most parks in the area when it comes to staffing. When I visited last summer, every food stall and most shops were open, including the coke stand in Europa that never seems to be open. They even had 6 operators checking restraints on Mamba and 3 to 5 on the other coasters. This was also a mid-week visit. So they seemed to be doing alright. Though I heard that the staffing issues became more noticeable during haunt, which is to be expected with a lot of their employees going back to school around then. Whether that is the reason for the removal of some of those attractions is beyond me. 

Well, I can't recall if it was last year, or 2021, but for a while the Planet Snoopy rides were open half for 30 minutes, then the ride op moved over to another attraction and those were open 30 minutes, then back again.  I assumed this was due to staffing, but also could have been due to demand and less than normal traffic post COVID.  I don't ride the Planet Snoopy rides, so it was of little consequence to me, I just noted it.

On 4/9/2023 at 8:25 PM, prozach626 said:

Doesn't make you want to move to the country and avoid urban areas forever, at all.

Actually, no, the country is pretty but after a couple days boring as hell 😉 However, it is a shame that the new teen fight club/outrageous behavior to get on social media trend seems to be such an issue everywhere. They are now instituting a chaperone policy for kids under 15 after 4 pm, it's on their web site. Not sure how enforceable this will be but better than doing nothing I guess. To have any chance of working they will have to make some examples if they catch troublesome kids whose over 21's have left them by banning all parties from the park.

• Like 3

On 4/10/2023 at 6:48 AM, RideThroughTime said:

What a shame! Not a good start to their season at all. Hopefully things improve once Zambezi Zinger opens, whenever that will be.

Yeah, can't wait for a-holes to try and climb that circular lift hill, once the coaster opens. Fun times ahead.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/15/2022 at 2:13 PM, prozach626 said:

^I made a couple substitutions. Sounds like SFSTL every other season. For us, it always starts with the planters and a few painted railings. Shoot for the stars and pray to the power-washer Gods, because shit is about to get exciting.

I had already seen enough changes at Worlds of Fun late last season to know the work they were doing was above and beyond anything usual.  As I mentioned before, they started this makeover during last season, so it was clear this was a big project. This year is Worlds of Fun's 50th anniversary, so I imagine that played a part in the decision to put more theming and details back into Worlds of Fun. And after going to the park regularly (and that is an understatement) since 1979, I can tell you the work they have done (and is still in progress) is making Worlds of Fun look the best it has since probably the 1980's. 

A significant amount of work has been done in painting most of the park's buildings and the majority of them have new color schemes. They have also been adding additional details to structures with painted patterns and designs, painted signage on some structures (on sides of buildings and in addition to main signs), and some architectural embellishments as well. And signage is a huge part of the makeover with many shops, rides and even restrooms getting all new signage. Some signs haven't been put up yet, so it would make sense those will be new as well.

You mentioned "a few painted railings" in your comment. WOF did one better and has painted more fencing in the park than has ever been painted. In fact, most of the wooden fences in the park were never painted, but they are now. 

And thank heavens, the Coasters diner in Africa which never should have been, is now getting a bit of a makeover to be the Sand Dune Diner. They even added palms to the landscaping this past week and near Mamba.

On top of all that, the new Zambezi Zinger will hopefully be opening sooner than later. But at least for me, the work they have done to the park is so nice it's like seeing Worlds of Fun more like it was back in its glory days. 

I don't have many pictures of the new looks around the park, etc. but I will share a few and try to get more as they wrap up the work.

IMG_4065[1].JPG

IMG_4066[1].JPG

IMG_3051[1].JPG

MR 2023.jpg

MR 043023.JPG

Mamba and palms 043023.JPG

336649528_223097726967649_5451341895549527379_n.jpg

IMG_3555.JPG

IMG_3585.JPG

IMG_4097[1].JPG

• Like 5

On 5/1/2023 at 12:48 AM, RailBlazer said:

I had already seen enough changes at Worlds of Fun late last season to know the work they were doing was above and beyond anything usual.  As I mentioned before, they started this makeover during last season, so it was clear this was a big project. This year is Worlds of Fun's 50th anniversary, so I imagine that played a part in the decision to put more theming and details back into Worlds of Fun. And after going to the park regularly (and that is an understatement) since 1979, I can tell you the work they have done (and is still in progress) is making Worlds of Fun look the best it has since probably the 1980's. 

A significant amount of work has been done in painting most of the park's buildings and the majority of them have new color schemes. They have also been adding additional details to structures with painted patterns and designs, painted signage on some structures (on sides of buildings and in addition to main signs), and some architectural embellishments as well. And signage is a huge part of the makeover with many shops, rides and even restrooms getting all new signage. Some signs haven't been put up yet, so it would make sense those will be new as well.

You mentioned "a few painted railings" in your comment. WOF did one better and has painted more fencing in the park than has ever been painted. In fact, most of the wooden fences in the park were never painted, but they are now. 

And thank heavens, the Coasters diner in Africa which never should have been, is now getting a bit of a makeover to be the Sand Dune Diner. They even added palms to the landscaping this past week and near Mamba.

On top of all that, the new Zambezi Zinger will hopefully be opening sooner than later. But at least for me, the work they have done to the park is so nice it's like seeing Worlds of Fun more like it was back in its glory days. 

I don't have many pictures of the new looks around the park, etc. but I will share a few and try to get more as they wrap up the work.

IMG_4065[1].JPG

IMG_4066[1].JPG

IMG_3051[1].JPG

MR 2023.jpg

MR 043023.JPG

Mamba and palms 043023.JPG

336649528_223097726967649_5451341895549527379_n.jpg

IMG_3555.JPG

IMG_3585.JPG

IMG_4097[1].JPG

Thanks for the report, haven't taken the time to drive across the state to WOF in a number of years, but we will be at SDC sometime this summer to use a couple of free tickets we got at the mostly snowed out Coaster Christmas event and are definitely planning on swinging up to WOF at that time to celebrate the 50th and catch ZZ.

Omg, that Coca Cola marketplace is so cute!

And I absolutely love all the new painting and palms and what-not by Mamba. Coasters was always SO out of place; I'm excited to hear they're giving it a makeover!

Thanks, @RailBlazer for the report/pics. I sadly haven't had a chance to be at the park since 2014, when I was working at the airbrush stand. So much has been changed and updated since then; it's gonna feel like a whole new park next time I go!

Oh, also... the closing of Monsoon is... interesting. Not surprising, 'cause it's been pretty rundown for years now. But what will be interesting is seeing what they decide to do with that area. Will they use it to put in a new slide(s) for Oceans of Fun?

Or maybe they'll convert Fury of the Nile into a Mystic River Falls-type ride? I could see that happening someday.

Well, if they go with Intamin, it might not be so unreliable? I don't know how Infinity Falls is doing compared to Mystic River Falls.

Mostly, I just thought it could be an interesting idea to convert FotN into a raft ride with a drop similar to MRF and IF.