TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Worlds of Fun (WOF) Discussion Thread

18 hours ago, prozach626 said:

Was that part of the original entrance?

Yes. It can vaguely be seen in these images from 1997:

image.thumb.png.a268ac36315fcaed76691be72f131d23.png

Yellow is Zulu, blue is where Zinger was, orange rectangle with arrow is the entrance.

Compared to today (Zulu at the very top of the image):

image.thumb.png.907ad8348ae8ab6f54337ef2d1083800.png

image.png.f6f4101d098a421b69c09bec53e65de8.png

image.thumb.png.ac46bdebcbc26894ae53811ca04c050b.png

image.png.754b9b9aed310a758c054b4a14b282bf.png

Boomerang can be seen in the background in the last image.

18 hours ago, coasterbill said:

^^ Yeah, I expected Timberwolf to be awful but it was running really well. We instinctively rode in the front and leaned forward because it’s a Dinn and it always worked for Mean Streak but I have no clue if it was even necessary. 

The ride wasn’t amazing or anything but I 100% enjoyed myself and I didn’t expect to.

Timber Wolf is nothing special overall, but it is at least enjoyable now and has a good amount of airtime. There was even more fresh track on it this year than last, got to give credit where credit is due. They are doing a heck of a job maintaining TW.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/10/2022 at 12:16 PM, Philrad71 said:

Hey guys...good to see you here. I am back after a hiatus as well. Just trying to reassemble my life is all. lol

Excited to hear about the new coaster - looks like it should be a lot of fun!

Hey man! Yeah, I hear you. These last couple years have been rough on everybody. We need to catch up. 😊

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Last issue of Amusement Today has an article about the new Zambezi Zinger and other information about 2023 at Worlds of Fun.

Enhanced theming throughout the park, renaming of Orient to East Asia, Africa being split into three sections, new bird show, history display in Tivoli Theater lobby, 50 Days of Celebration for the 50th Anniversary including the 50 Nights of Fire show and more. 

• Like 5

7 hours ago, WOF_Fan said:

Last issue of Amusement Today has an article about the new Zambezi Zinger and other information about 2023 at Worlds of Fun.

Enhanced theming throughout the park, renaming of Orient to East Asia, Africa being split into three sections, new bird show, history display in Tivoli Theater lobby, 50 Days of Celebration for the 50th Anniversary including the 50 Nights of Fire show and more. 

I read that article and it sounds great! Between Zambezi Zinger and the renewed focus on the lands and their identities, Worlds of Fun is high on my list of parks I want to get to next year.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, WOF_Fan said:

Focus on theming sounds fantastic. I always loved the Jules Verne original theme idea of including the cultures of the world in one park under a name that suited the theme. Worlds of Fun literally meant fun from all parts of the world. My first experience at the park was notably different from the Midwest/Colonial theming at SFStL. While I have made my opinion on Prowler Junior clear, I am happy to hear about the other improvements that will certainly add charm and culture to Worlds of Fun.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 11/3/2022 at 6:57 AM, prozach626 said:

With Cedar Fair swapping roles with Six Flags, I wonder if the new coaster will be open by July.

Sarcasm or not.  This is actually very accurate.  It’s November and I haven’t seen one footer in the ground on the land they cleared.  July is a real possibility because we all know how they will say "Well it was a harsh winter" because it’s said every time construction gets behind in any industry. 

21 hours ago, greenman said:

Sarcasm or not.  This is actually very accurate.  It’s November and I haven’t seen one footer in the ground on the land they cleared.  July is a real possibility because we all know how they will say "Well it was a harsh winter" because it’s said every time construction gets behind in any industry. 

But, when it does open... I bet it will run close to the projected capacity.  The crew will know what to do in any common guest situation; the station and queue will be clean.  The communication in the station will be clear and the walkway into and from the ride will be relatively close to the midway/main walk way.  There will be good accomidations for ADA folks, and minimum crowding in station, and station exit  (the turnstyle will be at the entrance of the staion where it belongs). In that respect, it will be totally different than Six Flags.

Let it open late, let it open in 2025.  At least it will be operable and user-friendly.  Cedar Fair has higher standards, so what if it's late ☺️

I guess those high standards don't include opening up a new attraction at the beginning of the season. It's impossible to do it both correctly and timely. "Good food takes time." Be patient. 2025 will be here before you know it.

• Like 1

On 11/9/2022 at 2:58 PM, greenman said:

It will be Worlds of Fun's 50th anniversary and they have working on things over the last several months, so there is no way the ride will open that late, other than some unforeseen issue arising. I was surprised there weren't any footers, at least none that were visible, but I think the groundwork was fairly involved, as they had to remove much of the old Zinger tunnel, footings, etc. And GCI has been busy in Iowa working on The Legend at Arnold's park too. Luckily the Zambezi Zinger 2 is a relatively small ride and the lift is all steel, so I would imagine that should go up fairly quickly. And a good portion of the track is on the ground so that will likely help in getting it built more quickly. The weather is already colder than usual/normal lately, so I hope we don't have a bad winter either way.

10 hours ago, RailBlazer said:

It will be Worlds of Fun's 50th anniversary and they have working on things over the last several months, so there is no way the ride will open that late

It's insane to me that anyone still believes that parks actually care about this.

Anyway, be right back. They just called my boarding group for Tron.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, coasterbill said:

It's insane to me that anyone still believes that parks actually care about this.

It may be insane to you, but Cedar Fair apparently does care and has been doing a lot to Worlds of Fun in preparation for the 50th anniversary.  It’s not an accident that a reimagined Zambezi Zinger is opening with the 50th anniversary. The park has been putting more emphasis on restoring theming to Worlds of Fun and started working on this during the summer months of 2022, in addition to any planning that was going on before that time. They’ve announced at least some of their plans at Coaster Christmas at Silver Dollar City over the weekend and it was also in an article in Amusement Today a few months ago.

• Like 1

Ooh, Amusement today. I stand corrected then. 😜

I have no doubt that they (like all parks) care about this to the extent that they can hype it up and make money off of it, but I absolutely don't believe that the fact that it's the park's anniversary will encourage them to finish this coaster even one second faster than they otherwise would have. Come on...

7 hours ago, coasterbill said:

At the presentations at SDC over this past weekend he did compare their 50th celebration to the one at KI. Now will that come to fruition or not? No idea but he did specifically state that. Of course to be fair what they think is a big deal for a celebration, others may not but they apparently are planning quite a bit of retheming and celebrations, along with the new coaster. Guess we will found out in 5 months.

On 11/14/2022 at 11:25 AM, RailBlazer said:

The park has been putting more emphasis on restoring theming to *** insert any park name *** and started working on this *** every few years when a park wants to advertise fixing what they never maintained. ***

^I made a couple substitutions. Sounds like SFSTL every other season. For us, it always starts with the planters and a few painted railings. Shoot for the stars and pray to the power-washer Gods, because shit is about to get exciting.

• 2 months later...
5 hours ago, WOF_Fan said:

Worlds of Fun Live blog for Zambezi Zinger construction updates 

https://www.worldsoffun.com/blog/2022/zambezi-zinger-construction-live-blog-final 

I don't think they understand what the term "live blog" means...but yeah, good for them.

• Haha 1