TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Worlds of Fun (WOF) Discussion Thread

On 8/11/2022 at 2:33 PM, AmyUD06 said:

And how would you propose doing that, given that the original coaster is now operating in another park (in a third-world country to boot, so you know maintenance hasn't been done), has recently had a major incident, and is by a long-defunct manufacturer?  Seriously people, think before you speak.

Uh, I am sorry, but Indiana Beach literally did exactly what you just described. Anything can be for sale, and any modern company could recreate it way better than what is essentially a junior Prowler. Hell, remove the spiral lift and add a family friendly launch to modernize it, that would fit the need more than this. This is a turd. 

• Haha 2

17 minutes ago, CP_RULES said:

Uh, I am sorry, but Indiana Beach literally did exactly what you just described. Anything can be for sale, and any modern company could recreate it way better than what is essentially a junior Prowler. Hell, remove the spiral lift and add a family friendly launch to modernize it, that would fit the need more than this. This is a turd. 

I fail to see how buying a SBNO coaster from a closed park equates to forcibly buying an operating coaster from an operating park, but you do you.

But thank you for confirming the sterotype of a WoF (or VF, SFStL, Dorney, Darien Lake, etc. etc.) local enthusiast - no matter what you get, its never enough.  Would you rather go another 13 years without a coaster?

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, jarmor said:

You know what, you are right.  It's a turd because base on your post, if anyone would know a turd it would be you my friend. . .

@jarmor has really been out to get me. Responding negatively to every post where I express my opinion. Wonderful content.

20 minutes ago, AmyUD06 said:

I fail to see how buying a SBNO coaster from a closed park equates to forcibly buying an operating coaster from an operating park, but you do you.

But thank you for confirming the sterotype of a WoF (or VF, SFStL, Dorney, Darien Lake, etc. etc.) local enthusiast - no matter what you get, its never enough.  Would you rather go another 13 years without a coaster?

If you read what I wrote, I said a modern manufacturer could make a better ode to a classic than GCI trying to get someone to buy their titan track. YES YES 100% YES I’d rather wait another however many years to get a proper roller coaster. We have waited this long this is just a slap in the face.

*********MY OPINION HAVE YOUR OWN

6 hours ago, CP_RULES said:

We have waited this long this is just a slap in the face.

Take it easy, bro. It shouldn't be this personal, because the park owes you nothing. A slap in the face would mean caring what you wanted. They don't. Their strategy is to get as many guests through the gates as possible. Their guess is that this will do just that.

My opinion? Meh. It's a bland addition for one of the most bland parks I've ever been to. WoF is just a shoulder shrug to me, mostly because there are so many better options in about the same driving distance for me.  But, it certainly doesn't offend me. I don't know what people expected from this park.

Also, no one needs to get started on trying to say WoF is affected at all by what other parks withing 4-5 hours offer. That's just silliness.

No hate from this guy.  Also I would have taken Wicked Twister in a heartbeat had they relocated it.   This reimagining of Zambezi Zinger is original and not a cloned coaster such as a raptor.  Not throwing shade on a raptor either.  I just think you gotta be excited when something original comes to your park that hasn’t ever been done before.

C86F6370-082C-4273-9636-09022E665989.jpeg

• Like 7

Man, I actually think this coaster look really fun, and cool, and look forward to hopefully getting to ride it next year when I finally take my kids on a Missouri coaster trip! I don't get the negativity about it at all! Regulars at my closest amusement park Michigan's Adventure would kill for something like this to be added there! lol

• Like 5

19 hours ago, prozach626 said:

Take it easy, bro. It shouldn't be this personal, because the park owes you nothing. A slap in the face would mean caring what you wanted. They don't. Their strategy is to get as many guests through the gates as possible. Their guess is that this will do just that.

If their goal was paying tribute to a beloved ride... they didn't. I never rode Zambezi, not personal at all for me. Just a laughable addition that in MY opinion is not going to get "as many guests through the gate as possible."

This looks like a decent addition to the park. Is it what I would have added: no. But it looks fun and depending on travel prices and the KC Royals schedule, I might try to make it down to the area over a weekend next year.

And then with the new attraction being so close to the Boomerang, that attraction's ridership numbers could increase due to increased traffic in the area. So I'm wondering if the park will get one of the new-gen trains for it. Or is that asking too much?

6 hours ago, CP_RULES said:

If their goal was paying tribute to a beloved ride... they didn't. I never rode Zambezi, not personal at all for me. 

748976510_tribute2.jpg.0d5342ced20c5d3e3eff6ad9860e6d32.jpg

Just because it holds no nostalgia for you, does not mean it pays no tribute to the original ride.

Edited by CaptainUnknown
Added Boomerang content
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, CP_RULES said:

If their goal was paying tribute to a beloved ride... they didn't. I never rode Zambezi, not personal at all for me. 

Same location, same name, same queue building, spiral lift hill, tunnel, track going around the spiral lift hill, track that races through the trees, both about 2500ft long, family coaster for everyone to enjoy. Not sure how you can say they aren't paying tribute to ZZ. 

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

This will be a fantastic addition to the park, filling the much needed stepping stone between the ho-hum Spinning Dragons and the more intense coasters and it will also be great for anyone's first wooden coaster experience. As much as I love white knuckle, super intense coasters, I also love a low to mid intensity coaster that is just a lot of fun, which this would seem to be.

CF/WoF was very smart, in my opinion, to recognize that they needed a family coaster, make the effort to design a custom layout instead of another off the shelf model, and tie in enough similar elements of a much loved and lost coaster that it would appeal to the nostalgic fascination of the predecessor's devotees. I would bet that it will be enough to entice many in the KC metro area who haven't visited in years to make the trip at least once next season.

Also, GCI is an amazing manufacturer of high quality woodies that introduced the world to butter smooth twister elements and I would love it if they continued adding more of their products! This would seem to be a project where CF is testing the Titan Track product for viability/reliability in a few different sections, so they can compare how it fairs versus standard woody track. I have high hopes that it will prove highly successful and it will give CF the confidence to green light full, ground up TT coasters. How awesome would it be to get a full TT re-creation or extended version of Orient Express?? Imagining the first ever woody/hybrid interlocking loops has me salivating...

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Alright, I've been busy as hell with a huge concert tour  (K-pop, Seventeen, come see it, there's explosions and flamethrowers) so I've been a bit out of the loop.  I'm on a day off in a rainy Houston, though, so here's my input -

Y'all people complaining about this coaster are goddamn morons.  The media they've released make it look like a great mid-size woodie and the POV convinced me to finally visit WoF for the first time next season.  You goofy bastards need to calm way down.

• Like 6

While I personally feel this coaster would've been a much nicer fit at Dorney Park, that's just the dorky coaster nerd in me who pays attention to "well-rounded lineups" and crap like that. I am still absolutely stoked that WOF is finally adding a coaster after 14 years. Cedar Fair finally threw one of their small parks a bone and I think that is something to be excited about for sure.

These new coaster announcements are fun, it finally is starting to feel like pre-COVID now that most of the COVID-delayed rides are now open (looking at you Aquaman). I think Cedar Fair killed it with announcements this year and the fact that they made all of those announcements when Six Flags was presenting their Q2 earnings call is just.... kinda hilarious.

Already looking at a WOF & SDC trip next year!

• Like 3

Had this ride been added ten years ago, I would consider it throwing WoF a bone, but not after 13 years. Not when it's the second coaster in 18 years.

The ride looks neat, and will probably be fun as hell. I like the throwback element. But, can anyone just admit  WoF could have probably used something a bit more exciting after their long coaster drought?

Granted, it's not supposed to, but this isn't going to get me to drive 5 hours to the park.

8 hours ago, prozach626 said:

...can anyone just admit  WoF could have probably used something a bit more exciting after their long coaster drought?

No, for the same reason nobody expects a park like Darien Lake, Great Escape, Adventuredome, etc, to get some massive coaster.  They're not in major markets and they perform well enough to remain profitable.  If the bean counters saw that a $20 million coaster would have an ROI of $20,000,001 over the next five years then they will change their tune.

Now if you know some way to make Kansas City suddenly become one of the top cities in the country for disposable income, I welcome you to contact the powers that be at Cedar Fair and have a blast with your pitch meeting.  I don't think that's gonna happen, though.

Ok, I'm not saying this isn't a great addition for WOF, but anybody acting like KC ISN'T a "major market" is ignorant as all get out about US cities, population growth, and is using such a tired and stupid coaster enthusiass excuse for defending why cheap park companies don't add new coasters to parks that absolutely merit them based on geographic and population metrics. This area is one of my wheelhouses, and I'm not letting that nonsense slip by.

I think it can be applicable to a lot of scenarios, but Kansas City isn't a small metropolitan area. I'm not advocating for anything 200 feet. I just think they could have used something a little more edgy. Something along the lines of a Raptor, or even Timber Wolf RMC.

^Bruh. I was wondering where you were.

I just hope they don't cut down every piece of vegetation in the immediate area around the tracks. If I remember correctly, ZZ was surrounded by trees, right? That was about 30 years ago, so it's hard to say.

• Like 2

On 8/20/2022 at 8:10 AM, DILinator said:

Ok, I'm not saying this isn't a great addition for WOF, but anybody acting like KC ISN'T a "major market" is ignorant as all get out about US cities, population growth, and is using such a tired and stupid coaster enthusiass excuse for defending why cheap park companies don't add new coasters to parks that absolutely merit them based on geographic and population metrics. This area is one of my wheelhouses, and I'm not letting that nonsense slip by.

I said "top cities for disposable income."  KC is a large city, yes, but it's also quite impoverished and blue collar.