TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Worlds of Fun (WOF) Discussion Thread

Worlds of Fun has announced their new for 2023 roller coaster, Zambezi Zinger, a tribute to the original Zambezi Zinger that used to stand at the park!

image.thumb.png.aec002cbdaaa02639c7995b121a0ad8b.png

https://www.worldsoffun.com/new-in-2023/zambezi-zinger

The new Zambezi Zinger roller coaster will take guests on a thrilling journey above its galvanized steel and wood hybrid frame, dropping guests from an iconic spiral lift hill into a low-to-the-ground track that races through the trees and terrain of the African Serengeti.

Packed with several moments of airtime, banked turns and quick transitions, riders are connected to the feeling of an epic safari chase and fast-paced adventure!

• Designed by: Great Coasters International and Skyline Attractions  
  • Length: 2,428 feet
  • Speed: 45 mph  
  • Duration: 2 minutes  
  • Track Style: Hybrid Titan Track  
  • Trains: New Infinity Flyer Trains, capable of taking on the most extreme coaster elements  
  • # of Trains: 2  
  • Riders/Train: 16

The original Zinger was one of the park’s most popular rides – and one of three coasters – when Worlds of fun opened in 1973. Beloved by adults and kids alike, it had cars configured in a bobsled style that dashed through the trees for a fun and exhilarating ride. The new Zinger is sure to delight a new generation of guests while providing a nostalgic nod to the past.

image.thumb.png.a4d5e95c016bab9363ed034017dde55b.png

image.thumb.png.53ae9c18bcacbcf3fd6b376f79a5832b.png

image.thumb.png.9475108c390f88cccf59f2b68aa9706b.png

• Like 10

I'd imagine GCI has the ability to do some cool (read: RMCish) maneuvers with this track system so I find it interesting that this seems pretty typical GCI in terms of elements, pacing etc. I know it'll ride differently than the rendering suggests, and its not a huge gripe I guess since I probably won't run out to this park anytime soon to ride it, but is there anything really new happening here besides the lift?

I love a good GCI, this looks fun, not trying to trash it but

steve-harvey-im-just-saying.gif.aa2c21ed4fd7ca2719126d5895b3f17e.gif

Yes, they could have added 90 degree drops, loops, in-line rolls and all BUT zambezi zinger had none of that. They are capturing the essence of a long gone ride and, I'd dare say, it's pretty damn identical. And in the spirit of the long gone coaster, this seems to be geared to families. 

• Like 9

13 minutes ago, grsupercity said:

#whatsintheshed

EXACTLY.  I hope they stick to it.  I know things change when they go to build.  I’m hoping the tunnel is on a turnaround low to the ground and has some length.  Let’s bring back the snake fell on my head in the tunnel rumors.  Not saying it didn’t happen, but that just adds to the thrill factor😂

Looks like a fun ride! Obviously, it's not something that's gonna be mind-blowing, but it still looks like a super enjoyable ride. I think it's a great way to pay homage to the original Zambezi Zinger. I'm also really interested to see how those Infinity Flyer trains perform.

• Like 2

Interesting to see (at least in the renderings) that this ride isn't entirely Titan Track. Large sections of it are, but there are a lot of wood track sections too. I would think that it would either be entirely one or the other. Maybe a cost factor, or maybe as a furthering test of Titan Track and it's capabilities?

• Like 3

Really love this! 

It’s a tad ironic that I’d criticize my non-enthusiast’s friends RCT2 skills back in the early 2000s due to lack of realism (spiral lift on a woodie??) but this ride (and I suppose the plethora of RMCs) has me putting my foot in my mouth 🤣 

1 minute ago, rachelmadcow said:

Why? i agree with the post above just rebuild the original Zambezi Zinger. 

And how would you propose doing that, given that the original coaster is now operating in another park (in a third-world country to boot, so you know maintenance hasn't been done), has recently had a major incident, and is by a long-defunct manufacturer?  Seriously people, think before you speak.

• Like 5
  • Confused 1

13 minutes ago, AmyUD06 said:

And how would you propose doing that, given that the original coaster is now operating in another park (in a third-world country to boot, so you know maintenance hasn't been done), has recently had a major incident, and is by a long-defunct manufacturer?  Seriously people, think before you speak.

I never specified to rebuild the actual original. You merely inferred that. 

Why don't you think before you speak? 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, rachelmadcow said:

I never specified to rebuild the actual original. You merely inferred that. 

Why don't you think before you speak? 

Nice ninja edit there to make me look silly.  Before your changes, you said specifically "rebuild the original" with nothing else.

• Like 1

I absolutely loved the old Zinger.....was my very first roller coaster ride and an amazing family thrill ride.  I was still young when the got rid of it and to this day WoF fans still regularly bring it up.  Especially with the much hated boomerang that sites in it original station.  I also hated it when the Orient Express was removed and it kills me to see the Busch Garden sister ride of it still operating strong.  It too replaced by a carny ride with no character.  Ive only been to to WoF 2x since my teen days when I would marathon OE.  All there new rides have just been unremarkable and the park just is sub standard compared to the closer to me SDC.

So.....got to give WoF some credit.  They must know the love of the old ride and its takes some....uhmmm.......you know....to try to replace it.  Wasn't expecting to like this project at all with I heard GCI was doing it.  As interesting as it is.....it is still a strange coaster type considering the park already has 2 woodies and there are 2 more over at SFstl.  They hybrid part is obviously the most interesting thing about the coaster by it seems like that are going for a more family friendly ride so it won't excite the region that already had Outlaw Run and Texas Giant not too far away.  

I do love the spiral lift hill.....its kinda silly and fun which ironically imo WoF lacks in it's rides.  I do hope there is a tunnel as the website says....that was a major element on the original.  Diving through a tunnel that looked like you wouldn't fit.  

Hopefully.....WoF has a plan for a new Orient too......and it doesn't take 10 years.  Plenty space in that old lot for big looping coaster.....something Wof really doesn't have in its lineup.  or a maverick like launch coaster.... Just saying.

I think it's certainly an interesting looking coaster.

Definitely want to try this new hybrid track and while not as fast (or somewhat violent) as Prowler, it should be a decent ride for families and the GP that remembers and loved the original.