TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Worlds of Fun (WOF) Discussion Thread

On 6/3/2022 at 10:11 AM, slickpoetry said:

Hey all, thanks for the advice earlier. My trip is coming up in a couple weeks and I had another question.

How would you rank the coasters at WOF? Which is the best, which is the worst? Are there any that are really painful/in bad shape? (I'm 42 and have occasional minor back issues) Which ones do you always skip?

Also if there's any really unique flat ride I should definitely do let me know. They look all pretty standard to me

If you rate them on a hot sauce scale, they would be room temperature mild sauce packets at Taco Bell.

• Haha 5

On 6/7/2022 at 6:28 PM, prozach626 said:

If you rate them on a hot sauce scale, they would be room temperature mild sauce packets at Taco Bell.

Yeah I kinda got the sense that the park in general is pretty lame. But we're in KC for a week and thought it'd be worth one day out of the trip. 

From what I recall, it's a nice looking park and well maintained. From memory, it would be a nice place to walk around and have a couple beers. But, there was no edginess to it and all of the rides left you wanting a lot more. I'm sure you'll have a good time and I definitely wouldn't pass it up.

Take what I say with a grain of salt. I haven't been to Worlds of Fun since 2016. The new wave turn on Timer Wolf has been added since then, so I'm sure the park is much more exciting.

I'm starting to plan my coaster desert escape for this year, and it looks like WoF is gonna be one of the stops and was wondering if I could get some "first timer" advice for the park?

I have a couple specific questions:

Generally speaking I've heard the plan of attack should be to hit Spinning Dragons first, then Mamba, and then work my way around the park. Is this still a valid plan?

Edit: Awesome, just found out that this park doesn't do off season maintenance and so they are apparently "upgrading the operating system" on Mamba....and running only one train...and using "timed entry passes" for the ride on Saturdays (when I'll be there), Sundays, and Holidays...unless you are a pass holder in which you get in 30 minutes early, or have Fast Lane in which case you "don't need one"... So, should I go here first and then go to spinning dragons? Does anyone know more about this?

Any tips on food here? Cotton Blossom looks solid from some reviews, or is it pretty typical theme park food?

Are there bins for rides, or should I be prepared to get a locker?

Does Cyclone Sam's allow single riders?

Any other advice that could be given would be really appreciated! Thanks in advance everyone!

Edited by swfan1988
Lol, added more info thanks to CF not doing off-season maintenance

So. I say skip all that and go to SFSTL. I see you're going to SDC. If I had my choice between WoF and SFSTL, I would pick the latter. We have everything you'd ever want, except for a hyper and a Merry-Go-Round. It's hard to tell which of those we're more likely to get first.

• Haha 1

On 6/16/2022 at 5:16 PM, swfan1988 said:

I'm starting to plan my coaster desert escape for this year, and it looks like WoF is gonna be one of the stops and was wondering if I could get some "first timer" advice for the park?

I have a couple specific questions:

Generally speaking I've heard the plan of attack should be to hit Spinning Dragons first, then Mamba, and then work my way around the park. Is this still a valid plan?

Edit: Awesome, just found out that this park doesn't do off season maintenance and so they are apparently "upgrading the operating system" on Mamba....and running only one train...and using "timed entry passes" for the ride on Saturdays (when I'll be there), Sundays, and Holidays...unless you are a pass holder in which you get in 30 minutes early, or have Fast Lane in which case you "don't need one"... So, should I go here first and then go to spinning dragons? Does anyone know more about this?

Any tips on food here? Cotton Blossom looks solid from some reviews, or is it pretty typical theme park food?

Are there bins for rides, or should I be prepared to get a locker?

Does Cyclone Sam's allow single riders?

Any other advice that could be given would be really appreciated! Thanks in advance everyone!

The operating system was upgraded during the off season. The issue is the trains needed new parts for the new operating system and so unfortunately right now, only one train is able to operate. They are waiting on parts for the other trains. Mamba is running the best it has run in a long time. 

There are bins at almost all the rides, no need for a locker. Cotton Blossom is BBQ, its good for a theme park, the new set up at Coasters is good. The pot roast is really good.

Cyclone Sams allows single riders. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 6/20/2022 at 6:26 PM, prozach626 said:

Looks like a missed opportunity for WoF to market it as a new attraction.

If they would ever shut off the dang mid course it could actually be a whole new ride!

2 hours ago, CP_RULES said:

If they would ever shut off the dang mid course it could actually be a whole new ride!

They did shut off that dang mid course. That's part of the system upgrades for Mamba.

I visited last Tuesday and the mid course brakes didn't engage at all. To tell you how fast it's running now, you get solid airtime dropping off the mid course even in the front row. There were some rides I had on it just a year or two ago where the back didn't even get airtime on that drop. I've always liked the ride even when the midcourse made it feel like it would valley on the return run. But now, it's an excellent ride outside of that whole "physically cannot run more than one train" bit. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jaykethekid said:

But now, it's an excellent ride outside of that whole "physically cannot run more than one train" bit. 

Ah. It joins the ranks of Steel Vengeance and Lightning Rod.

• Haha 1

On 6/22/2022 at 5:06 PM, Jaykethekid said:

They did shut off that dang mid course. That's part of the system upgrades for Mamba.

I visited last Tuesday and the mid course brakes didn't engage at all. To tell you how fast it's running now, you get solid airtime dropping off the mid course even in the front row. There were some rides I had on it just a year or two ago where the back didn't even get airtime on that drop. I've always liked the ride even when the midcourse made it feel like it would valley on the return run. But now, it's an excellent ride outside of that whole "physically cannot run more than one train" bit. 

WOW WOW WEEWUH! Alright, I am definitely headed to WoF this year once they figure out the train situation. This is the best news out of WoF since 2009!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

It's certainly an odd choice to build a new wooden coaster just a few hundred feet away from the park's last new coaster, which is also a wooden coaster. Though, that's assuming that this project is related to the ongoing clearing adjacent to Boomerang. The permit lists that this foundation system has a total valuation of $785,000, so I don't imagine they'd spend that much on concrete just to add additional bracing to either of the park's other wooden coasters. That leads me to believe it's something completely new. It just feels weird that they'd build another wooden coaster. The only thing that could separate itself enough from Prowler is a Gravity Group with some sort of gimmick element to it, whether it be a shuttle coaster or something that inverts. 

• Like 1

I would assume it's an RMC. They compete heavily with SDC, and an RMC would be different than their other two wooden coasters. The only reason they would go with a "traditional" wooden coaster is if GCII gave them a good deal on their new track system or something and it turned out to be much more cost efficient than steel. I don't think the public would be too excited about a new wood coaster based on how they let Prowler fall apart. Hopefully WOF gets their own version of Goliath. 

• Like 1

@WOF_Fan I am curious as to where that second screenshot was found. I can find all sorts of legitimate things about "Project 50 Grading" HERE but nothing including the text in your second image. Next year is their 50th anniversary, but I need receipts. 

2 hours ago, CP_RULES said:

@WOF_Fan I am curious as to where that second screenshot was found. I can find all sorts of legitimate things about "Project 50 Grading" HERE but nothing including the text in your second image. Next year is their 50th anniversary, but I need receipts. 

If you pull up Plan Number: CRBC-2022-40151, go to the reviews tab (may only be viewable on a desktop). If you click on the second CPPU-Building Plan QCR, continue by clicking on the red text and it will bring up all the corrections. It lists things mentioning wood coaster foundations in one of the corrections.

1 hour ago, Jaykethekid said:

If you pull up Plan Number: CRBC-2022-40151, go to the reviews tab (may only be viewable on a desktop). If you click on the second CPPU-Building Plan QCR, continue by clicking on the red text and it will bring up all the corrections. It lists things mentioning wood coaster foundations in one of the corrections.

When I do that I get nothing. Apparently you accessed it so where are your links and proof? That’s all I want to see: real proof.

KC compass is being really goofy right now.  I pulled this earlier today, but now when I search I’m getting 215,000 different plans which are throughout the city.    It occasionally does stuff like this, or is down altogether.

1932347E-A370-4575-9F3D-6CD6131A0AD9.jpeg

42 minutes ago, greenman said:

KC compass is being really goofy right now.  I pulled this earlier today, but now when I search I’m getting 215,000 different plans which are throughout the city.    It occasionally does stuff like this, or is down altogether.

1932347E-A370-4575-9F3D-6CD6131A0AD9.jpeg

Working links > screenshots.

13 hours ago, CP_RULES said:

When I do that I get nothing. Apparently you accessed it so where are your links and proof? That’s all I want to see: real proof.

Are you trying to pull it up on your phone? The mobile version of the site is incredibly bare bones and doesn't seem to function correctly. The link the grsupercity shared pulls up everything we've mentioned so far. However, I'm on my desktop. That link may not pull up the same thing on the mobile version of the site.