TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Worlds of Fun (WOF) Discussion Thread

9 hours ago, PKI Jizzman said:

Prowler is running really well. Just finished a 6 ride power hour front and back, it's fantastic. Don't talk crap about this kitty coaster!

Translation: Prowler is still tossing folks like a rag doll, Zach loves pain.

Crap talked.

• Haha 1

On 10/16/2021 at 8:29 AM, PKI Jizzman said:

Right next to the airport is Scott's Kitchen and Hanger, go get some burnt ends that will rock your world! 

https://www.scottskitchenandcatering.com

20211015_143226.thumb.jpg.65e1cd27ff8ea669e9ad407c4c0ec644.jpg

Worlds of Fun is a mostly pretty park that just needs so more rides. Patriot was better than anticipated, Prowler is funning fantastic, Timberwolf was alright, but Mamba was down all day and we were told is down the weekend. We overheard airbrake issues, but who knows. 

The Pumpkin Eater scare zone was really well done, it should be a maze! People kinda forgot about it, I walked through it 2x nearly by myself until a black and white fuzzy friend decided to join me:

20211016_082620.jpg

20211016_082604.jpg

Scott’s kitchen is great,  I’m not a fan of the sauce, it’s heavy on vinegar, but the meat is smoked great. 
I agree with Peter Pumpkin eater.  It’s a very cool scare zone that uses the old dinosaurs alive path and is heavily wooded.  
I think I saw the same skunk or maybe a family of skunks.  The irony of the them running around in scare zones.  I was in line for cornstalkers, and that little shit ran down a drain 10 feet from me.   I told everyone to get quiet, I didn’t really want to be sprayed point blank.   The haunts have improved a lot since my last haunt visit in 2018, with the exception being Zombie High, that haunt is still bad.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, sdcfan88 said:

Guess I do too. It's my favorite coaster there. Lol 😅

It seems enthusiasts either love it or think it is meh, and I have accepted I am in the "meh" group. The good news for the people who love it is I have never seen it with a long line. Not sure if that is due to the somewhat hidden location or if the GP is in the "meh" group too. Given @PKI Jizzman mentioned 6 rides in an hour, I'd say it didn't have much of a line during his visit either.

This is from the Peter Pumpkin Eater scare zone.  Like PKIJizzman said they should really think about making it a haunt.  It would easily be the longest haunt.  Cover the area in fog and make it a werewolf forest.  It definitely has the howling vibe

CB6E8C39-DFEA-433C-90A2-0443348F4965.png

ACF5E1CD-03AD-48FA-9185-4347A688C2F1.png

• Like 1

14 hours ago, CP_RULES said:

It seems enthusiasts either love it or think it is meh, and I have accepted I am in the "meh" group. The good news for the people who love it is I have never seen it with a long line. Not sure if that is due to the somewhat hidden location or if the GP is in the "meh" group too. Given @PKI Jizzman mentioned 6 rides in an hour, I'd say it didn't have much of a line during his visit either.

The Prowler ERT session was on Saturday morning at open. It was a good 30ish minute wait on Friday night during Haunt.

On 9/12/2021 at 9:01 PM, CP_RULES said:

^I have never had a smooth ride on it… but “newest” was certainly a joke there (yes, technically correct, I know)! I won’t say the wheels are square, but I wouldn’t be surprised if Prowler was equipped with octagons. 

I'm curious when you started riding Prowler as it did develop the wheel issue you describe, but it mostly didn't start doing that until roughly five seasons in, give or take.  I'll comment more on a later post.

3 minutes ago, RailBlazer said:

I'm curious when you started riding Prowler as it did develop the wheel issue you describe, but it mostly didn't start doing that until roughly five seasons in, give or take.  I'll comment more on a later post.

I missed the first two seasons after it was built, but rode it in its third year. Wheel issues shouldn't last half a decade, and it would have been that long even if I started riding "five seasons in." Intrigued to hear what more you have to say!

On 9/12/2021 at 5:15 PM, CP_RULES said:

Went to WoF today for a private event hosted by Garmin (my husband works there) and brought some friends who had never been. Not a lot to say, other than Timber Wolf is running INCREDIBLY SMOOTH. I was very impressed, best ride I have had on it in a while. There are way too many trims on it now though. Rode Prowler twice just to confirm I still don't like it. It is a lot of fast paced intensity, but that intensity still comes in the form of a jackhammer simulator instead of a fun ride. Uh... I think that is all that is worth posting about, it's WoF, decent day with the park rented out overall.

OK, so Prowler is a Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde roller coaster (I've had many rides like you describe and some really great ones too) and I am still trying to figure out exactly why and how it can change, in some cases very quickly.  Here are some of my experiences on it this season and a bit from last.

They did some re-tracking before last season and some the year before.  After that work, the track was in good shape and I had some of the best rides I'd had on it in awhile, last season.  The track overall has been in good shape this season too, other than a little spot near the end of the ride, I noticed last time I was there.

This season, I've had mostly "square wheel" feeling rides on the few times I was out there this summer.  Then I went to the park on a Friday night for Haunt maybe three or four weekends back and...  WOW!  Completely different ride!  It was flying and smooth!  The main difference that was obvious is the track had been freshly greased.  It was so good and smooth, no square wheels that is and it was excellent!  People were very enthusiastic that night when the trains were coming back in.  I met a friend out there late Sunday before they closed, just two days later, expecting the ride to be at least good and it was back to square wheels and average.  I was amazed how different it was and my friend was skeptical that it had been so good on Friday.

I went again the following two Friday nights and had mostly the same experience with greased track and fast, but a minor amount of square wheels, mostly on the final turn into the brakes.  My friend met me out  there on the second Friday and experienced Prowler like it CAN run, but often doesn't.  We rode several times that night.  And the thing just seemed to get faster, especially after the turnaround and really flew into the brakes, which was so great and like it used to do when it was new.

Friday nights during Haunt *might* be the time to give it a try as that has been the time to ride lately.  Of course, it's hard to say if it will be like that each time.  Another odd thing, was during Winterfest the three years we had it, the ride flew around the track and was smooth, at least in the seats I rode in.  I do think sometimes the square wheel thing can be worse in some seats more than others.  It doesn't seem like just greasing the track would make it change so drastically, but in my experience it has.  The square wheel thing is something that GCI coasters do and PTC coaster don't.  I've felt it a bit on a few other GCI rides.  I so wish WOF could get this figured out and get it running like that all the time as it is a great ride when it runs like that.

• Like 1

^Sounds to me it depends on which train they happen to be running on a particular day. On most of the visits I had made it was the Wow so fast and smooth experience you described. Only one or two times I've gone and had the square wheels feeling. Maybe they are slacking on maintenance on one of the trains and it's due for a wheel replacement?

Maybe it's just a maintenance thing. Timberwolf has ridden like a huge piece of shit every time I made the mistake of riding. Meanwhile, American Thunder and Mystic Timbers are still incredibly smooth, with SFSTL and KI having a history of maintaining their wooden coasters very well.

On 10/20/2021 at 3:32 AM, sdcfan88 said:

^Sounds to me it depends on which train they happen to be running on a particular day. On most of the visits I had made it was the Wow so fast and smooth experience you described. Only one or two times I've gone and had the square wheels feeling. Maybe they are slacking on maintenance on one of the trains and it's due for a wheel replacement?

I think it's likely that some cars on one or both trains have wheels which are riding rougher than others.  That said, both trains have been on during all of my visits.

On 10/21/2021 at 10:31 AM, prozach626 said:

Maybe it's just a maintenance thing. Timberwolf has ridden like a huge piece of shit every time I made the mistake of riding. Meanwhile, American Thunder and Mystic Timbers are still incredibly smooth, with SFSTL and KI having a history of maintaining their wooden coasters very well.

I definitely think that the rough riding "flat wheels" thing on Prowler is related to maintenance.  It's possible that is has something to do with the wheel bearings, but I'm not sure.  I have felt the same thing on a few other GCI coasters too.  I don't think I have ever felt it on the fairly few rides I've taken on American Thunder and same goes for some rides I had on Renegade a few years ago.  I did notice a minor version of it on Mystic Timbers when I was there recently, but it was only on one of the rides I took.  It's strange how it can be bad in some seats/cars and not in others, which is why some people have have crappy rides and others aren't bad.  Prowler has had A LOT of trouble with this over the years, which is a shame as when it's running fast and smooth, it's such a good ride.

As for Timber Wolf, most of the trouble with it has been due to track which was in need of replacement and/or a few other things.  A significant amount of the ride was re-engineered by GCI and rebuilt and/or retracked starting before the 2015 season up until before this season.  The park did some of the work I believe, at least on a short section this year.  Overall, the ride is FAR smoother than it was for many years.  I do not like to ride in the back seats of the cars, so I can't speak for how those seats feel, but it's way smoother than it was overall.  They did skip over a few sections in the last half, mostly near the end of the ride, so those may get rough again.  But the work GCI smoothed out the track to make it way more rider and maintenance friendly.  It also is mostly a much tamer ride.  Unfortunately, there are trim brakes in three spots, though they vary as to how hard they are on.  One hill in particular still gives a lot of airtime, even with the brakes, so I do not see the brakes easing up until that hill changes.  And the helix was removed, so there is less track to use up the energy.

On 10/20/2021 at 8:22 PM, CP_RULES said:

I’d hate to think it is a GCI issue. I have always enjoyed my rides on American Thunder.

I don't mean to suggest it's a GCI "issue", but it's something that I only notice on their trains and don't on PTC trains for example.  I think some parks know how to avoid the issue and some don't, for lack of a better way of putting it.

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know if the park will do a rollover again for this year? I got the rollover from last year but I was unable to make it out again this year too. I wasn't sure what their policy was on that. I'm sure they keeps records of attendance and when the pass was last used. (2019) I am also a platinum passholder too.

5 hours ago, sdcfan88 said:

Does anyone know if the park will do a rollover again for this year? I got the rollover from last year but I was unable to make it out again this year too. I wasn't sure what their policy was on that. I'm sure they keeps records of attendance and when the pass was last used. (2019) I am also a platinum passholder too.

Not 100% positive on this. I'd just shoot the park an email and ask them. :) 

• 2 months later...

What does everyone think of Screamscape's rumors that WOF may be getting a coaster in 2023? They are long overdue. They have a bunch of land where Dinasaurs Alive was. Do they replace Boomerang or add an additional coaster? Or is it all wishful thinking?

The park is really pretty and is going to be looking better than ever for its upcoming anniversary year, I would love to see WOF get a new thrilling coasters. Mamba was way better than expected and Prowler is a great GCI, combo that with Patriot and you've got a solid big 3. Would love a #4.

A broken clock has to be right eventually... It's getting pretty weird how long WOF has gone without a new major attraction, and I am pretty sure the park does OK attendance wise. There is certainly the population for it, so even if their numbers haven't been great that's all the more reason to give the park a jump start. SDC has been so packed during parts of the year that they regularly have to turn people away. SDC has added two major coasters, a massive kids area, a huge water ride, and several other things since the last time WOF got a coaster. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Shavethewhales2 said:

A broken clock has to be right eventually... It's getting pretty weird how long WOF has gone without a new major attraction, and I am pretty sure the park does OK attendance wise. There is certainly the population for it, so even if their numbers haven't been great that's all the more reason to give the park a jump start. SDC has been so packed during parts of the year that they regularly have to turn people away. SDC has added two major coasters, a massive kids area, a huge water ride, and several other things since the last time WOF got a coaster. 

Absolutely, I definitely think WoF is waaay over due for something (anything!) majorly new. I have a soft spot for this park for some weird reason (never been but it's a bucket lister), and I really hope that CF gives them at least something. I just wouldn't get my hopes up for 2023, especially if Knott's is getting that giga. If that happens, then I'd bet that's the chains only major project for next year. Cedar Point is also coming due for something I think. Plus while SDC is adding stuff at a good clip, SFStl. Isn't exactly doing much either.

It's a big bummer that this park is a 'few hours to half day park' in reality, it really needs to be fed more thrills. The flat rides are plentiful, the flume looks fun, and adding more rides will hopefully make their lower capacity rides reduce wait times a bit.

I have driven past WoF many times, but I have never been able to visit because I always visit KC for Thanksgiving-Easter. I would think a wooden coaster, an invert and B&M are out. Whatever they get, I really hope it is a hit with the common guest. Something they ride, go home and tell their friends and family how it was awesome, more people visit, repeat. Can't afford to gamble too much for a first coaster in over 10 years

I'm all for WoF getting a new coaster, I just hope they go a little more original this time.  Mamba is 90% a clone of Steel Force and Patriot is 90% a clone of Talon.  Great rides, no question about that, but unless it's a wooden coaster they tend to do the "Hey, let me copy your homework.  I'll change it up a little so the teacher doesn't know" method.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1