TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Worlds of Fun (WOF) Discussion Thread

• 6 months later...

I am not cool enough to receive emails from WoF, but anyone know if they happened to send out an opening date like the other Cedar Fair parks?

On another note, WoF broke ground 50 years ago and the park posted a nice article about it with photos: https://www.worldsoffun.com/blog/2021/breaking-ground-on-worlds-of-fun-50-years-ago

Riptide racer is looking ready for riders as well: 

• 1 month later...

Worlds of Fun has announced their operating calendar for 2021, they will be bringing Haunt back but they are not having Winterfest this year, I wonder why that is and what it could mean for other parks’ Winterfest.

DA2310B4-86D9-484D-A99C-02B817C65C97.jpeg

It wasn't packed full of people, but it was enough to give Prowler, the only high thrill ride open,  a 1hr+ queue. But then again, it was running one train and was cursed by WOF's typically abysmal dispatch times. So that might not have been the best judge of crowd levels. Jokes aside, from my experience, they definitely drew in a decent crowd size. But when I visited, the park cleared out well before closing. There just wasn't a lot to do outside of Prowler or Spinning Dragons, if you didn't want to watch any shows or live entertainment, that is. Knowing that most WOF's clientele doesn't visit the park to see shows or entertainment, but instead visits for rides, it would make sense that the event may not have been as popular as they had hoped. There was a demand for that type of event, but it must not have been as big of a demand as they would like to see in order to keep running it. It would make sense to cut it after such a financially hard year like last and with this year not looking that well either. Just my guess.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Rick Tengle said:

KC is weather in December is too unpredictable

You know that Cedar Fair runs this event in Canada and both other major parks in the region run Christmas events with basically their full parks open, right? If their attendance sucked they have nobody to blame but themselves. The weather in Kansas City is fine.

• Like 4

Six Flags Saint Louis is successful in November and December. We have a nearly identical climate, five hours away.

The excitement and edginess of a park this size is relevant to the first post on this page being from July. It's the most vanilla park I've ever visited, and it's such a shame given its potential.

^I grew up in Columbia two hours from both WoF and SFStL and I always chose SFStL when presented with the option. Oceans of Fun is definitely more popular, and they have kept it up with exciting additions. Not adding coasters is one thing when you are investing in other things, but WoF's recent investments have given me zero excitement about going.  Since their last coaster they have added:

• 2010: A light show and a Subway restaurant (eat fresh! $20 footlong!)
  • 2011: Planet Snoopy (okay, family areas are a good investment... but not really that exciting for anyone who isn't a kid or doesn't have them)
  • 2012: FastLane (literally... that's the addition for the year)
  • 2013: OoF gets new slide complex, WoF gets Dinos Alive (happy 40th birthday!)
  • 2014: SteelHawk (another good investment)
  • 2015: Nothing notable... some stuff was removed
  • 2016: More Planet Snoopy stuff (woo!)
  • 2017: New front entrance and some (sucky) flat rides (the front entrance is nice...)
  • 2018: Another (sucky) flat ride and Timber Wolf got neutered
  • 2019: A new BBQ restaurant (a NEW RESTAURANT guys! come visit!!!!)
  • 2020/2021: New ride for the water park

So in over a decade they have made ONE investment in SteelHawk that was interesting enough for me to be like "oooh, I think I should go to WoF." The place is essentially the same as it was in 2009. 

Meanwhile during the same time period, SFStL has added (or is about to add) six interesting flat rides (SkyScreamer, Tsunami Soaker, Fireball, Spinsanity, Supergirl, and Catwoman Whip), a new coaster (okay it was a Boomerang but hey, it's at least a coaster), updated their dark ride, and managed to keep the water park updated. They continue to at least add rides that are newer within the industry and provide exciting experiences.

As much as people say Six Flags doesn't care about SFStL, it seams like Cedar Fair has literally given up on WoF ever being a place people outside of Kansas City will ever bother spending their time going to. I don't want to sound like I don't like WoF, I have had many fun times there. However, they really need some investment if they want to pull any sort of crowds.

• Like 2

In the comments on the vid, someone said Heidi confirmed on Instagram that she wrote it.

Also, omg, that was great! Didn't know someone from KC was on the show now!

PS: Viking Voyager is probably my least favorite ride at the park, lol.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

This year's big addition. The local contracting company who constructed it got free single day admission tickets, so that should increase attendance by 7.

On another note, we only made it 24 days into the month before a new post! That's only 2 days behind April!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 5/23/2021 at 5:14 PM, WOF_Fan said:

Anyone see the new hut/building near Timber Wolf? 

It reminds me of the "town" that was built in Power Park, Finland. It was a set for a fantasy movie.

1941123887_ResizeofIMG_5827a.JPG.fe031a548fb671b19ff6137c90033fb8.JPG

TPR 2014 Scandi Tour.

On 5/25/2021 at 5:34 PM, CP_RULES said:

^Meanwhile, locals like me are driving to Texas next week to hit up SFOT and SFFT... bye WoF, thanks for being true to yourself and never changing....

It's pretty damn busy today. Maybe some of the locals missed the memo that they were supposed to drive somewhere else?  Line to Patriot extending way outside queue.

FB_IMG_1622318262796.jpg

• Like 1