TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Worlds of Fun (WOF) Discussion Thread

I'm also kinda wanting to try out Timberwolf again, having heard about them re-tracking.... I haven't been on that coaster in over a decade because it was just too rough for me my first time on it way-back-when.

Overall, Timber Wolf is probably in better shape than when you last rode it. That said, it is only two seasons into a planned four year restoration project. The first drop to just before the upward helix has been rebuilt and is smooth. The helix was to be redone this off season, but the project was put on hold apparently, so nothing else has been done as of now. The helix is definitely in need of work and is currently the roughest part of the ride. Hopefully the restoration work will continue the next off season.

I wonder if it was placed on hold due to the Ghostrider renovation. I know GCI is handling the retracking, so I'm curious if WoF is debating whether or not to get the full Ghostrider treatment--full retrack + Millennium Flyers. On that point, could MFs work on the parts already retracked, or if they would need to be retracked as well. Wof is probably considering all of that.

On the other hand, I wonder if the retracking budget was instead placed into the two "new" attractions this year + revamped entrance.

I remember hearing during a Q&A session a couple years back that the park was considering Millennium Flyers for TimberWolf. That was two years ago though. If I were in charge, that would for sure be my 2018 plan. It really is a great ride layout (I'd argue even stronger than GhostRider). It just really needs some love.

It doesn't even need much more work outside of the helix, after that, the ride is at least bareable. I think the addition of Millennium Flyers would be great, and the removal of the god awful double trim brake would be even better!

I believe the plan was to keep the trim brakes on at least until the helix is redone. The last stretch of the ride, as it heads towards the brakes, is also in need of some work. Those last few valleys have some bouncing that is pretty off putting and I hope that is taken care of soon as well.

Here are a few updates on the new attractions opening next week. Mustang Runner looks pretty much complete. The sign looks very nice, and the aged wood around it looks very "western", if that makes sense. Fits the area well. They didn't share anything on Falcon's Flight, but you can see the tower in the background of the second Troika pic. They haven't been sharing much on it recently, which gets me a little worried about it's progress. Hopefully I will be running on Opening Day. It looks like great flat ride for WOF to add to their collection.

Additionally, it looks like the front gate is nearing completion as well. Everything is looking very nice in International Plaza. It needs a little more landscaping, but overall it's a vast improvement to the old gate.

IMG_1067.thumb.JPG.e3150be1b9993cd6fc1c8689def2011e.JPG

IMG_1072.thumb.JPG.9ca7c973c3f2daa9512bce8bed4a77ef.JPG

IMG_1073.thumb.JPG.a29ba641ce7cf1c2119729fb52ef8714.JPG

They didn't share anything on Falcon's Flight, but you can see the tower in the background of the second Troika pic. They haven't been sharing much on it recently, which gets me a little worried about it's progress. Hopefully I will be running on Opening Day. It looks like great flat ride for WOF to add to their collection.

Same here. As a long-time Huss Condor fan, I am truly shocked, appalled, and deeply crestfallen by the lack of, well... ANYTHING concerning Falcon's Fury. No test runs, no pictures of the gondolas, no pictures of the tower, no nothing.

They didn't share anything on Falcon's Flight, but you can see the tower in the background of the second Troika pic. They haven't been sharing much on it recently, which gets me a little worried about it's progress. Hopefully I will be running on Opening Day. It looks like great flat ride for WOF to add to their collection.

Same here. As a long-time Huss Condor fan, I am truly shocked, appalled, and deeply crestfallen by the lack of, well... ANYTHING concerning Falcon's Fury. No test runs, no pictures of the gondolas, no pictures of the tower, no nothing.

I personally fail to see what Busch Garden Tampa's Intamin Drop Tower has to do with Worlds of Fun, but if you want pictures,DSCN0157.thumb.JPG.4d90c506734f5ebd150fdb9d9acaa130.JPG

Here you go.

In full operation, too!

Well, if it makes you feel better, here's the sign!

IMG_1089.JPG.99b143e4a83017f5fc619d5b88135926.JPG

I like how they have in a way "themed" these rides. I wouldn't say they are heavily themed at all, but they have a feel to them, an environment, or in simple terms, a vibe. Mustang Runner does have a nice western feel because of the wooden railing, colors, and entrance sign. Falcons Flight looks to have a nice medieval feel because of the stonework on the sign and the patterns on the shade structure behind the logo. Overall, i'm quite pleased with these new additions. I expect that they will really liven up the areas around them!

I'm really loving all of the improvements around the park.

To recap, the park has added:

-A new front entrance, plaza, and Guest Relations

-New catering pavilion

-Mustang Runner (Troika)

-Falcon's Flight (Condor)

-WinterFest

-Gigantic storage buildings at WOF and OOF for HAUNT and WinterFest

-New funnel cake shop at the front on the park.

Overall, seems like WOF has had a very big year for a park it's size.

I personally fail to see what Busch Garden Tampa's Intamin Drop Tower has to do with Worlds of Fun, but if you want pictures,[attachment=0]DSCN0157.JPG[/attachment]

In full operation, too!

What the? Hmm... brain said "flight," fingers typed "fury."

I'm an idiot and deserve to get dunked on for that.

How will next weekend's crowds be? I've never came to opening weekend before but the prices for BAF is great ($22)

Crowds shouldn't be too bad. Of course the new rides will have a bit of a longer line but they both have a pretty good capacity. Don't expect any lines above 30 minutes.

Here's an awesome photo I found on Instagram. Not very clear but you can see a lot of the new stuff, including all that shiny new concrete.

It is a neat aerial view but for someone who is not overly familiar with the park, like myself, you cannot tell what is new and what is not lol!

Season pass preview went great last night! Despite the two rides being open, everything was better than I expected. The park was packed for a season pass preview, but the gates new capacity held up. The new security booths were still a little slow but much improved over last years setup. The brand new guest relations, season pass, and ticket windows looked absolutely wonderful, and definitely very efficient. The new catering facilities also looked great and about ready to go. The balloon topped the whole area off. Overall I would give the gate an A+ for looks and operation.

The International Plaza looked beautiful as well. I can't wait for Haunt and Winterfest to see how the park uses the new area. Looks like they barely finished the funnel cake building next to Chickies and Petes. That should look really nice. Moving around to Scandinavia, Fjord received a huge upgrade including a new queue, ride panel, paint job, and lights soon to come. I'm hoping it will run similar to the other Swing Arounds. Moving on, the Tivoli Theatre's outside looks completely different. It should look better by the time Winterfest comes around. Finnish Fling wasn't open last night, I'm guessing because there weren't any operators to operate it.

Something I noticed this year more than ever was how bad the asphalt looked in Africa and parts of Americana, but they've done a good job in the past few years slowly replacing parts that need it most. Moving into Africa, Zulu wasn't open and Boomerang was open off and on. Prowler was running pretty well, I'd say up to how good it was running last fall, which is good. Mamba was running absolutely insane! The trims were barely on, and I actually got airtime on the bunny hops! Moving on, Falcons' Flight still looks like it has a lot to be done so I wouldn't expect it to be open for another 2-3 weeks.

The new pavement in Europa looks a lot better than the old asphalt. Moving up to Americana, Mustang Runner (also not open) looked very close to completion though. I'd expect it to be open next weekend. Not too much has changed in Americana besides a new First Aid building in the half of the arcade closest to Thunderhawk's old spot (which is almost destroyed). Bicentennial square should be getting more upgrades as that is supposed to be a hub for Winterfest. Timberwolf wasn't open last night which was kind of disappointing. Something else I noticed was most of the restaurants have a screen on the counter, which may be a new option for the customer to order what they want.

I saw a lot of the gift shops have new merchandise. Other than the flags being removed on the bridge from Scandinavia to Orient, nothing has really changed in Orient. Finally, I have to mention the employees. I know it's the first day, but everyone seemed like they actually wanted to be there and everyone seemed happy. That's about it! This is definitely going to be a great season. I'll share some pictures from last night. Not all the pictures below are mine. I didn't want to worry about taking video and picture last night and focused on just having fun.

58ee5c1361f5f.image.thumb.jpg.b321242a64b468669fead74663a89892.jpg

New Balloon and Turnstiles

DSC_0698.JPG.e860f777d04b523e3b72e4b5f69652c3.JPG

New Security (Credit to Midwest Info Guide)

DSC_0716.JPG.c48c1c7f3730c6243bf0f074059c4bb0.JPG

International Plaza with gate in background (Credit to Midwest Info Guide)

IMG_7406.JPG.6198be7fde148b3224e946ca9b852342.JPG

Fjord's new look

IMG_7407.thumb.JPG.fa25a13a81ec527f80569e56a2a1c9b4.JPG

Falcon's Flight

IMG_7408.JPG.a7c9014f4e8f11d9a113ad067fdcff7a.JPG

Mustang Runner

IMG_7409.JPG.e3b93e64b2d354aab1fc9d85030e1f85.JPG

Tivoli... (Credit to WOF.org)

Edited by Slides to rides

Although i could not make it out to pass holder preview day, i took advantage of a day off from school and made it out to opening day yesterday. I want to say i had one of the best visits to the park i've ever had. Briefly, id like to describe some of the things that i thought were awesome. The new entrance is great. There is now permanent metal detectors right before you enter the entrance plaza. The new international plaza looks great! Though, it is kind of empty. It would look a bit better if they threw in some benches and maybe a bit more landscaping. Either way, the process to enter the park was quick and painless!

Being opening day, there was quite a few rides not operating. Timberwolf was closed and had a train stopped on the lift and the brake run. Viking Voyager was closed all day, and Fury of The Nile opened around 5:00 that evening. Zulu was down all day, but we saw it test a few times. Both the new rides were closed and doing some very minor testing. Mustang Runner looks good to go, but Falcons Flight is far from opening. Even the fencing around the ride was a mess. Not sure if its complete or not, but the painting on it was extremely sloppy.

Ride operations for the most part were pretty good! All the coasters were running two trains. Patriot has an interesting procedure where as the ride ops are checking the restraints, the op at the panel says "ready", "ready ready", or 'ready ready ready" depending on where the other train is on the circuit. It really helped speed up the process! But just like on all the other rides, they wait way too long to open the gates. Mamba had a great crew in the later half off the day! There was absolutely no stacking. Even the new ride ops were hustling to check restraints. Prowler, i will say, did not have good operations. All the ops were easily distracted, but they were all new. They were pushing 5 minute dispatches all day. Boomerang ironically had the best operations. They would open the gates right as the restraints unlocked and left them open for about 10 seconds. Then, the ride ops checked restraints quickly and got most trains out in under 1 minute!

Also, there was a lot of new wood on prowler. The top layer was replaced on most high force sections excluding the drop. It really helped smooth out the ride and it seemed to give it some more speed! I had one of the best ride ive had on it yesterday while it was raining. It was flying through the ride! I left some space with my lap bar and seatbelt and i was flying all over the place. I was even riding in a middle row.

One thing id also like to mention is that every employee we encountered was extremely friendly! Food service was still not the best, but ive experienced worse at Six Flags parks. From ride ops, to gift shop employees and those at the front gate, they were very nice! It honestly made me feel i wasn;t at Worlds of Fun!

Overall, i think this is going to be a great year for the park, and i cant wait to see how the new entrance and rides hold up over time!

Is International Plaza comparable to International street at KD and KI

They're really not comparable. It's called International Plaza because the park is themed to 5 different regions of the world, so International Plaza acts as your starting point. Of course, KI's and KD's top Worlds of Fun's. they really couldn't top a 300ft. tall tower with a gorgeous fountain display in front of it. But it's extremely nice and spaced out.