TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Worlds of Fun (WOF) Discussion Thread

A few things I want to say.

First of all, that entrance is going in the same place as the old one?

Second, when do you think we'll see a real picture for the first time?

I do like the concept art. I don't know why, but I feel like it's missing something. I'm 99% sure I'll change my mind when I see it in person though. I'm probably the only person in the world that misses the old entrance. Not that the new one is bad, but I just grew up with the other entrance and it's gonna feel odd seeing the new one. I'm sure I'll like it though.

Also: that entrance would look WAY better with a coaster going over it!!!

Do you think there's a way we could squeeze in a coaster in the Scandinavian area to go with the new entrance? I don't see it happening, but I hope so.

I visited this park for the first time back in August and absolutely loved their entrance area. The structures themselves, the setting, the trees, the plaza once you enter, the colors, etc. I can see why it would underwhelm though because the buildings did seem very small.

I was really displeased to hear they were getting a new entrance gate because the newer ones at Cedar Point and Carowinds are hideous to me. All gray and cement, little vegetation, etc.

However, I will say this concept art looks FANTASTIC! I love the logo statue in the center, and the buildings themselves look much more warm that Cedar Point or Carowinds. I also like the entry on the left and ticket booths on the right. That really makes sense for this park because it is like a main street feel almost and since people enter this area from both sides, it makes sense in terms of functionality as well. I really like the layout.

A few things I want to say.

First of all, that entrance is going in the same place as the old one?

Slightly east of it, near Fjord Fjarlane.

Second, when do you think we'll see a real picture for the first time?

Once construction is closer to completion.

I'm probably the only person in the world that misses the old entrance. Not that the new one is bad, but I just grew up with the other entrance and it's gonna feel odd seeing the new one. I'm sure I'll like it though.

You're not the only one. The old entrance was much better. This "temporary" one they've had for 22 years sucks. I'm optimistic the new entrance will rival the old one, though. Concept art rarely shows you exactly what something will turn out to be.

EDIT: Just noticed your age. You don't remember the old entrance at all. I looked around for pictures of it, but that was before digital cameras, and it doesn't look like anyone has digitized an old photo. The old entrance was in the Americana section, near where Steelhawk is now. The first thing you saw when you walked in was the fountain in that slightly recessed brick area. That's why that section is called "Front Street." It used to actually be the front.

Also: that entrance would look WAY better with a coaster going over it!!!

Do you think there's a way we could squeeze in a coaster in the Scandinavian area to go with the new entrance? I don't see it happening, but I hope so.

Just because Cedar Point does something doesn't mean everyone should. I don't want us to run out of room building coasters that sink into Lake Erie.

There's plenty of room in Scandinavia for a coaster north of Patriot. Anything they want to build really. There's enough room for a giga. Just don't count on a new coaster of any sort any time soon, and when we do get one, it'll be small.

You're not the only one. The old entrance was much better. This "temporary" one they've had for 22 years sucks. I'm optimistic the new entrance will rival the old one, though. Concept art rarely shows you exactly what something will turn out to be.

EDIT: Just noticed your age. You don't remember the old entrance at all. I looked around for pictures of it, but that was before digital cameras, and it doesn't look like anyone has digitized an old photo. The old entrance was in the Americana section, near where Steelhawk is now. The first thing you saw when you walked in was the fountain in that slightly recessed brick area. That's why that section is called "Front Street." It used to actually be the front.

I'll have to look through some of my old photo boxes that we got from my grandparent's house after they passed. There are bound to be countless photos of WOF in the 70s and 80s in there. I know there is a ton of Extremeroller pics because my aunt won a contest to be one of the first riders after they converted it and the family was invited to the grand reopening.

There is a blurp on Screamscape.com about the Liseburg park selling their Kanonen launch coaster. After viewing some vids on YouTube I thought to myself what great ride for WOF! Granted its a 2005 Intamin and used...but could refurbished for the right price point for our park. It has inversions, launch, small tight footprint, 2 trains (16 person capacity), 930 PPH, 78Kph launch, 78ft high Top Hat, 65ft loop, and heartline roll. Great for families and a step up from Spinning Dragons. Wishful thinking I know but it has been sold to another park of which is unknown at this time.

There is a blurp on Screamscape.com about the Liseburg park selling their Kanonen launch coaster. After viewing some vids on YouTube I thought to myself what great ride for WOF! Granted its a 2005 Intamin and used...but could refurbished for the right price point for our park. It has inversions, launch, small tight footprint, 2 trains (16 person capacity), 930 PPH, 78Kph launch, 78ft high Top Hat, 65ft loop, and heartline roll. Great for families and a step up from Spinning Dragons. Wishful thinking I know but it has been sold to another park of which is unknown at this time.

There's still Zaturn at Space World. A 205ft Kingda Ka

Hmmm, interesting. Depending on land elevation of where it was placed at WOF it could look equal in height to Mamba. The only thing I'm not sure of is bang for the buck and public perception. The ride offers speed and height and at 20 per train could potentially be a people eater.

Idea. If they purchased both and merged them into a dual launch. On the return curve into station of Kanonen delete the curve and place Zaturn launch in place of brake run into station. This way once the second launch is over it would go directly back into station of Kanonen. The width difference between the two is 25M and 30M respectively. This might take a small custom transition piece for the width difference and deletion of two 180 degree curves off both rides but possible. Maybe even add an enclosed dark ride element on second launch platform on Zaturn. Then length of both together is 90M and 150M but would change + or - depending on the merge configuration. With this layout it may be even possible to add a third train raising the PPH.

Looking at possibly booking a trip to the park over 4th of July weekend (I know, I know, but it's my birthday weekend and my hometown MLB team is in town that weekend) so just curious as to how miserable the lines/crowds would be? Most likely would stay in one of the onsite cabins. What other hotels in the area should I consider for 5? (would consider getting two rooms)

Looking at possibly booking a trip to the park over 4th of July weekend (I know, I know, but it's my birthday weekend and my hometown MLB team is in town that weekend) so just curious as to how miserable the lines/crowds would be? Most likely would stay in one of the onsite cabins. What other hotels in the area should I consider for 5? (would consider getting two rooms)

Lines will be bad in Oceans but not too bad in Worlds as it will probably be hot AF by then. There are several motels across 435 from the park.

Lines will be bad in Oceans but not too bad in Worlds as it will probably be hot AF by then. There are several motels across 435 from the park.

I wouldn't stay in any of the motels across 435. Go about 10 minutes north to Liberty and stay at the Comfort Suites. It's fairly cheap (peak summer will run you around $120) and they will allow 5 people in one room if you want.

I've stayed at the Fairfield across the street and it was nice like you'd expect from a Fairfield (or Marriot in general), I'm not sure what prices would be like around 4th of July.

Either you'll get used rides, waterpark rides, or nothing.

Definitely seems to be the case for VF, MiA, Dorney, and WoF. I mean it's nice that CF invests money into the park's infrastructure, but guests want new thrills too. I guess as long as these parks sustain their attendance and revenue, Ouimet and Co. see no point in adding new coasters.

I would rather have Worlds of Fun stay away from any more used rides for a while.

They're getting 2 used rides this year and Steelhawk Last year. Either you'll get used rides, waterpark rides, or nothing.

They built 5 new rides last year, in addition to a $10 million complex at OOF in 2013 (which is more expensive than most new flat rides). Additionally, WOF's capital for this year (used flat rides included) costs just about the same as an inverting Gravity Group Coaster (like Fun Spot's) or a Hyper GTX. So it's not like WOF's not spending the money.

SteelHawk was built in 2014, not 2016, and was only the park's second used ride. The first being their Ferris wheel. So it's not like that's their "new direction", it's just a coincidence.