TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Worlds of Fun (WOF) Discussion Thread

I never realized how unimpressive the old gate was until they started tearing it down. Looks like a small crew with hand tools and a beat up pickup truck could demolish this thing.

Yeah, it's pretty awful. I went to Cedar Point for the first time, ever, last year and was thoroughly impressed with their gate setup, with the plaza in front. (Of course Gatekeeper made it just that more awesome.)

When did the make the switch?

Pretty sure the 96 season - basically when CF took control of the park from Hunt Midwest

Based off of a post from Wof.org, Frank Wilburn is no longer working for Worlds of Fun or cedar fair. It was mentioned that his replacement is someone from Kings Island. Let's hope this is a positive change for the park!

Yep. Sounds like it was a very sudden departure.

Based off of a post from Wof.org, Frank Wilburn is no longer working for Worlds of Fun or cedar fair. It was mentioned that his replacement is someone from Kings Island. Let's hope this is a positive change for the park!

Interesting. It seems like it could go one of two ways.

Either it will be a very big change that will push the park into more diverse territory with a bigger emphasis on competing with Silver Dollar City and SFSTL or it will be more of the same - incremental updates.

Either it will be a very big change that will push the park into more diverse territory with a bigger emphasis on competing with Silver Dollar City and SFSTL or it will be more of the same - incremental updates.

So it will stay the same or change. That's a bold prediction Captain Obvious.

I'd say Worlds of Fun is the most similar park to Kings Island in the Cedar Fair lineup (besides possibly Kings Dominion). Just look at their top three coasters:

Mamba and Diamondback (both themed to snakes, ironically)

Prowler and Beast (Prowler's theme is inspired by the Beast)

Patriot and Banshee (nothing similar here. Color scheme kinda?)

Also Kings Island takes place in a very wooded area, similar to Worlds of Fun. And I'd say Worlds of Fun and Kings Island have the two best kid's areas in the chain (Worlds of Fun has the most rides and Kings Island's kid's area is consistently voted the best).

I do know that we've had a bunch of Kings Island employees transfer to Worlds of Fun this year (I talked to one of them opening day), so does this possibly mean there are bigger things to come? I hope so. Kings Island and Knott's Berry Farm are my 2 favorite Cedar Fair parks, so more KI at WOF is always a good thing in my book. We already got a little bit of Knott's in 2016, and I loved it.

I'd say Worlds of Fun is the most similar park to Kings Island in the Cedar Fair lineup (besides possibly Kings Dominion). Just look at their top three coasters:

Also Kings Island takes place in a very wooded area, similar to Worlds of Fun. And I'd say Worlds of Fun and Kings Island have the two best kid's areas in the chain (Worlds of Fun has the most rides and Kings Island's kid's area is consistently voted the best).

I do know that we've had a bunch of Kings Island employees transfer to Worlds of Fun this year (I talked to one of them opening day), so does this possibly mean there are bigger things to come? I hope so. Kings Island and Knott's Berry Farm are my 2 favorite Cedar Fair parks, so more KI at WOF is always a good thing in my book. We already got a little bit of Knott's in 2016, and I loved it.

Look I grew up with WOF and could probably be labeled a fanboy, but even I can't pump that much sunshine

image.jpeg.9c623e92877d6907f0b552be1ebe9d0b.jpeg

Look I grew up with WOF and could probably be labeled a fanboy, but even I can't pump that much sunshine

Is it a crime to be a little overly-optimistic once in a while?

^ I agree. Both parks have 3 coasters that stand above the rest, and of analogous types. KI's are all superior to WoF's in each category.

In my book, Prowler kicks Beast's ass any day of the week in my book. I believe Mystic Timbers will be better, but the Beast doesn't even touch Prowler.

What I meant was, we will either start to see significant investment in the park to make it more competitive, as it does sit in a major metro which has rebounded from the recession. (Especially given the prospect of the 10,000+ jobs Cerner's expansion is expected to bring to the KC area.) The initial explanation (at least speculated explanation, I suppose) was that Carowinds was seeing significant investment because the Charlotte metro was growing more rapidly and had a broader market reach than WoF does. But with the prospect of significant employment growth and with it, population growth; changes to management may see a change in direction where WoF is more heavily invested in to take advantage of the expanded customer base that may be within its grasp as well as more direct competition with SFSTL and SDC.

Or CedarFair believed that Wilburn wasn't managing the park properly and brought someone new in to try to put it on the right track, and we will only see incremental improvements over the next few years with focus on customer experiences, ride management, etc.

Or something completely different happened and the King's Island guy is just the person that happened to be willing to take the job, and we will continue to see the same thing out of WoF, small updates and maintenance of existing infrastructure and investment in "small rides."

• 2 weeks later...

Few things...

1. Frank barely made it into the Haunt season before being fired. Sounds like he had been having issues with Bender for awhile and apparently there was a final straw that caused the firing.

2. They have completely torn out the gate, ticketing area, Tivoli West and Central catering and the Baltic Bazaar. WOF has payed a video on their twitter feed of the current condition of the area. They've cleaned up most of the rubble and are now taking out the old foundations (cement)

3. To add fuel to the fire so to speak of the rumor WOF is getting a Skyrocket II in 2018, Premier announced recently that they will be installing one stateside in 2018. Not a confirmation that it's going on at WOF but nonetheless interesting that it lines up with the timeline we've heard all along.

Haven't been on a Sky Rocket II yet but it looks like it would be a great fit for Worlds of Fun if it did happen. They already have a decent coaster selection and I felt that the lack of a launched coaster of any type was the only thing preventing the lineup from being very well-rounded.

Haven't been on a Sky Rocket II yet but it looks like it would be a great fit for Worlds of Fun if it did happen. They already have a decent coaster selection and I felt that the lack of a launched coaster of any type was the only thing preventing the lineup from being very well-rounded.

They're great! Smooth, forceful, and intense! So glad more are being built!