TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Worlds of Fun (WOF) Discussion Thread

My first ride on a Condor at Six Flags Great Escape was awesome. My in-laws had me go on with them to opening night of Fright Fest. It did make me very dizzy but was definitely re-ridable. The decision to place it in Europa will give this area a much needed thrill without overkilling for families to enjoy. The model I rode had capability for one and two riders together in the carriages.

I'm going to be visiting Worlds of Fun on October 14 & 15 (Friday night and all-day Saturday). How busy should I expect the park to be. Would it be worth getting Fast Lane one of the two days? (I won't be getting Fright Lane because I'm not interested in the mazes.) Any other tips for conquering the park?

If you arrive at park opening you will have relatively minor waits up until about 4pm. The twilight admission kicks in then and there will be a huge wave of guests arriving. 6pm is when the scary stuff starts to kick in. By 8:30 if you're not interested in haunt stuff then probably best to leave as the park becomes difficult to navigate without going through it.

I went haunt last night and man it was a blast. On a side note if you get fright lane plus it will be a time crunch to get every haunt and bonus room in. We were there for the entire haunt period and went from haunt to haunt with only one break for prowler (15 min wait), but only managed to do all the bonus room and 7 of the 8 haunts. Asylum was amazing, but I did get multiple confirmations of Saturday being the last night for it. Finally the phone repair man is hilarious and a highlight of the night which makes it almost a necessity to do fright lane plus.

I went haunt last night and man it was a blast. On a side note if you get fright lane plus it will be a time crunch to get every haunt and bonus room in. We were there for the entire haunt period and went from haunt to haunt with only one break for prowler (15 min wait), but only managed to do all the bonus room and 7 of the 8 haunts. Asylum was amazing, but I did get multiple confirmations of Saturday being the last night for it. Finally the phone repair man is hilarious and a highlight of the night which makes it almost a necessity to do fright lane plus.

This so much. I love our Haunt but I feel that you have to go-go-go so much to see everything that by the end you are get desensitized from being worn out that it almost ruins the final houses of the night.

I went to Haunt for the first time on Saturday night.

My overall impression is it's good, but definitely would be worth a fright lane pass.

My friends were all busy so I went by myself and was able to tag along

With people I had met standing in front of me. 3 of them were former screamsters from the previous year.

Without them I don't think I would have found Lore of the vampire, which in my opinion was the best house.

London terror was neat and so was blood on the bayou, but lore of the vampire was the longest that I went through.

Some of the haunts had people sitting, and i get that because it was hot. Lore of the vampire was like an oven at 1230 am.

The wait for asylum was crazy. We didn't get to see that. I don't know how much it will change, I know they have to drop

"Mental" due to sensitivity. I had never seen the park that busy ever. I got there at 8pm and parked in lot G maybe?

We also got to jump the line at cornstalkers because one of the girls knew everyone working it.

Overall my experience would have been better if I had bought a fright lane pass.

I did ride Prowler at night and it was one of the best rides I've ever experienced.

Don't bother with Boomerang. Spinning Dragons' main audience is young children below 48", and they won't be out on Friday night. I'd start with Prowler, then go to Patriot (might do Spinning Dragons while you're over there), then move around to Timber Wolf and finish with Mamba. The focus will be on the haunts, though, so you may not need any real strategy on the coasters. Just ride them while you're in the area for a haunt. If you don't care about haunts, then you can do as you please.

Just left the park about an hour ago and holy crap, that might be the most crowded amusement park I've ever seen. They were parking cars in the grass field near Patriot, and many of the rides/mazes had full queue lines (some of them spilled out on the midway). They certainly do a good job of bringing everyone in.

Anyway, I had a great time and I plan on posting a trip report in this thread soon.

Just left the park about an hour ago and holy crap, that might be the most crowded amusement park I've ever seen. They were parking cars in the grass field near Patriot, and many of the rides/mazes had full queue lines (some of them spilled out on the midway.

Clearly you've never been to any the Orlando parks. But still, daaaayuuuum. Parking on the grass?!

Just left the park about an hour ago and holy crap, that might be the most crowded amusement park I've ever seen. They were parking cars in the grass field near Patriot, and many of the rides/mazes had full queue lines (some of them spilled out on the midway). They certainly do a good job of bringing everyone in.

Anyway, I had a great time and I plan on posting a trip report in this thread soon.

HAUNT is a very popular event, that's for sure. Parking in the grass is not too uncommon for WOF's event. Most of the time, it's to be expected. And it only gets worse from here...

Just left the park about an hour ago and holy crap, that might be the most crowded amusement park I've ever seen. They were parking cars in the grass field near Patriot, and many of the rides/mazes had full queue lines (some of them spilled out on the midway.

Clearly you've never been to any the Orlando parks. But still, daaaayuuuum. Parking on the grass?!

2nd Saturday in a row this has happened. Corn Stalkers last week had a stand by line of over 3 hours. There were reports of 22,000 last week in attendance on Saturday. The park will only get more crowded the closer to Halloween.

Does Haunt start the first weekend of October, or does it start in late September?

It started mid-September

Ok. I would like to go, but from these recent posts about crowds I'll just wait until next year and go in September. Seems like it will be less crowded.

Does Haunt start the first weekend of October, or does it start in late September?

It started mid-September

Ok. I would like to go, but from these recent posts about crowds I'll just wait until next year and go in September. Seems like it will be less crowded.

"Less Crowded" is only marginal. Friday's are the least crowded days but again only "marginal"

The event is a hot ticket in KC. Just pony up the money for Fright Lane and go enjoy yourself.

^ Cool! We're headed there this weekend too. With Fright Lane, you'll be fine. As far as coasters, prioritize Prowler. It's the best coaster there, and isn't the highest capacity ride in the park. Mamba you should be able to go on any time, never really has a long line. Ride Patriot in the front row, like most inverts, and Timber Wolf opens about an hour after the park opens. Have fun!

^ Cool! We're headed there this weekend too. With Fright Lane, you'll be fine. As far as coasters, prioritize Prowler. It's the best coaster there, and isn't the highest capacity ride in the park. Mamba you should be able to go on any time, never really has a long line. Ride Patriot in the front row, like most inverts, and Timber Wolf opens about an hour after the park opens. Have fun!

Both MAMBA and Patriot have had full queues most of the evening the past two Saturdays

Sorry to bug your thread but i'm headed to WOF tomorrow night for haunt from Valleyfair up in Minnesota. I'm just wondering if I need any tips regarding the park or haunt. (I will be getting Fast Lane)

Have you been to WOF before, or will this be your first visit?

Both MAMBA and Patriot have had full queues most of the evening the past two Saturdays

He mentioned he'd have Fast Lane. With it, the queues are never really all that long, few minutes for each.

Sorry to bug your thread but i'm headed to WOF tomorrow night for haunt from Valleyfair up in Minnesota. I'm just wondering if I need any tips regarding the park or haunt. (I will be getting Fast Lane)

Have you been to WOF before, or will this be your first visit?

This will be my first visit down

Visited Worlds of Fun for the first time last week from the 14th through the 16th and had a great time. I though it was definitely the most well-themed and well-landscaped Cedar Fair park I've been to so far (haven't visited Knott's yet). Of course, it wasn't amazing theming but it made most of the park pleasant to look at. They have a fairly good lineup of roller coasters and thrill rides for a park of this size. Friday night crowds were manageable with 15-20 minute waits for most rides, but Saturday crowds might just be the most I've seen in a park that isn't in Florida or California (mostly full queues with a few lines spilling onto the midway). Operations were mostly average; except for Mamba, all the coasters would consistently stack the second train, but they got the job done. Not really a Haunt guy, so I'm not the best person to ask, but they put on a great event for sure. Walked through a few scare zones to get to rides faster and particularly liked all of the fog usage. Scare actors were definitely succeeding at scaring everyone. Overall it's a fun park that I'm glad I got to visit. I don't feel the need to go back until they add another major thrill ride or coaster, but I'd visit if I was in the area again.

My thoughts on the coasters...

-Prowler was by far the best ride in the park. It's full of fantastic laterals, strong pops of air, fairly aggressive forces, and it doesn't let up at all until the brakes. My new favorite GCI and a top five woodie for sure. 8.5/10

-Mamba was a pretty good Morgan hyper. Overall it felt very similar to Wild Thing, but I'd give Mamba the slight edge for a more forceful helix and more sustained airtime in the return run. 8/10

-Patriot is the least intense invert I've ridden but I still had a lot of fun on it. The zero-G roll is excellent and the helix near end pulls some decent forces. 7/10

-Boomerang was actually, dare I say, a fairly smooth ride. Nothing too amazing, but the loop in reverse does have some nice intensity. 6.5/10

-Timber Wolf had a nice first first drop and good pops of air throughout, though a few rough/rattly sections that haven't been retracked yet brought it down a bit. Once GCI finishes with the refurb it should be much better as a whole. Pretty slow operations though, they were taking a good three-and-a-half minutes to dispatch the train. 6/10

-Spinning Dragons: Kinda hard to get excited about it when I have the exact same ride at one of my home parks, but still fun for what it is. 6/10

Onto the photos...

IMG_3688.thumb.JPG.b9d5030a44c450e6aa28fd5b72dfe5d2.JPG

This was my view for most of the drive to WOF. ;)

IMG_3696.thumb.JPG.d4fb84b0e3d9f0ddcca05f4a778c26c3.JPG

Nice view from my hotel room.

IMG_3699.thumb.JPG.4df61a4c8aa87537d77586702d33bd8e.JPG

Nothing like visiting a new park for the first time. :)

IMG_3700.thumb.JPG.7ce98f806a2b1ac5b0cd0bcf9b540c16.JPG

IMG_3701.thumb.JPG.74f0cc5682c4e185ecaab762721d8b72.JPG

Glad that WOF is getting a new front gate next year. This one definitely seems a bit undersized for this park.

IMG_3702.thumb.JPG.03094647dd1527cb2edaf72897d45ce8.JPG

Heading in...

IMG_3703.thumb.JPG.95b002f2a2cfd31ffa82d6f4475ed812.JPG

Nice entrance plaza.

IMG_3707.thumb.JPG.cbebddebf28817a62dac0b426822ffee.JPG

The area around Patriot is very photogenic.

IMG_3709.thumb.JPG.1ee53b34e99d8b7c81fad355084ba6a0.JPG

First ride of the trip.

IMG_3711.thumb.JPG.46a88c88765dc3c13cf566b63027abdf.JPG

IMG_3714.thumb.JPG.30d4452cade53668d1ba91ef85b3d88a.JPG

Dominator is much better than the Power Towers at VF and CP.

IMG_3717.thumb.JPG.e3a39eebcc5d2107be7f73de1cb7eef1.JPG

Sunsets make all coaster photos better.

IMG_3724.thumb.JPG.fa399cef1b0e73e9a7147eec911ffc5c.JPG

Such a great ride.

IMG_3725.thumb.JPG.b8644a5bccaa282be950bec7a2dc2895.JPG

Prowler's line due to one-train operation (they put the second train on later).

IMG_3727.thumb.JPG.2397bfb043375cd3aa43aaf195bf89d7.JPG

Timber Wolf in the dark.

IMG_3730.thumb.JPG.7feb097530f82c33685ce0d62bd69fab.JPG

Fun ride but slow dispatch times.

IMG_3734.thumb.JPG.a20cf83ee8c2a484abec8b76ffb8fdc8.JPG

Not bad for a Vekoma.

IMG_3744.thumb.JPG.ba9d0a05b2fed40d6f97fff913ace11d.JPG

Wow, they moved my favorite coaster to Worlds o... Oh, wait. :|

IMG_3747.thumb.JPG.e371f74bb98a71a6a747c50a667c9d97.JPG

Timber Wolf and Mamba.

IMG_3754.thumb.JPG.c0e206b9297b087c72e6241a57fa46e1.JPG

Weird that Mamba's ride ops have to manually release lap bars with the foot pedals every time. When I worked Wild Thing, the lap bars popped up automatically once the train parked.

IMG_3757.thumb.JPG.13c9d903a62b9fd1ea0aed2f1b04f3e2.JPG

Airtime!

IMG_3765.thumb.JPG.af1cbad23c17c255479714ac769779c8.JPG

Mamba had a full queue most of Saturday night. Thank goodness I had Fast Lane.

IMG_3767.thumb.JPG.2bfe83dae7173830d4e5e4ff0531e9f4.JPG

Heading out...