TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Worlds of Fun (WOF) Discussion Thread

Lol, I didn't even know WoF announced anything new because of all the fanboys whining that they didn't get a coaster again. Between this and Valleyfair, a drinking game would just be toxic.

WoF saw that their family area needed an upgrade. They already have a decent collection of coasters for a park their size. A hyper, a B&M, a spinning coaster, and a GCI woodie added in a short period of time is why the park is not in need of a coaster right now. The time will come. Cedar Fair obviously also doesn't want to take as big of a risk as I have heard many reports of the waterpark being a major draw here, rather than some of the dry side.

Just the absolute clueless were claiming a coaster was coming in 2016. Those in the know and ones that follow the park knew that would not be the case.

The flyers were always on tap for this year. Originally it was going to be just the flyers and a new gate. The new gate coincidentally is already designed and will be coming in the near future. When the park decided that the earmarked funds were not sufficient to do the front gate redesign the way they wanted the money became available to do something else. It was then that the idea to add to Planet Snoopy came into fruition. After seeing the success KI had with adding the flyers to their Planet Snoopy, the plan changed to locating them there along with adding more kiddie rides (which are cheaper than mega thrill rides - more bang for your buck).

Also related is that money also had to be budgeted to continue work on the re profiling of Timber Wolf. The plan is to still take two more seasons to finish the project but there is a possibility of that being sped up.

Also unless something drastic happens, look for place making and a new Darkride in Bicentennial Square for 2017. This is supposedly the next "area" that will be upgraded (and falls in line with a future coaster plaza in that area rumor).

Oh and ThunderHawk *may* be back next year. Its fate is still being decided. If it is removed, I've heard rumor that entire area might be shut off for 2016 and Timber Wolf would use its "Haunt season exit" where it empties by the Cyclone Sam's exit by Planet Snoopy. Again lots can change between now and the start of the 2016 season.

^Why does everyone lately seem to assume that coasters appeal only to hardcore nerds who travel alone and don't spend anything at the park? Most major coaster additions I've heard of have spurred attendance increases of 10-20%. You ever notice how many kids are in line for the big B&M's? They don't stay in Planet Snoopy forever.

There are a lot of other variables in play, as you mentioned later in your post, and others have mentioned as well. However, I have silently felt this way for a while now, reading about the black/white way people talk about parks being either "family friendly" or "kid friendly" by adding fewer coasters, and more kiddie rides and such. Maybe my kids (11,8,7) are an anomaly, but when we went to Michigan's Adventure - a large kiddie park, essentially - they pretty much wanted to ride all of the coasters, and hit the smaller rides if they had time afterward. My 8 and 7 year old are too short for the large B&M's this year, but they are both eager to ride them, as soon as possible. So I think assuming coasters aren't for young kids is a false assumption, unless my kids are just oddities! (Of course, watching all of the TPR Roller Coasters in the RAW! videos repeatedly could have contributed to this aspect of them! )

Lol, I didn't even know WoF announced anything new because of all the fanboys whining that they didn't get a coaster again. Between this and Valleyfair, a drinking game would just be toxic.

WoF saw that their family area needed an upgrade. They already have a decent collection of coasters for a park their size. A hyper, a B&M, a spinning coaster, and a GCI woodie added in a short period of time is why the park is not in need of a coaster right now. The time will come. Cedar Fair obviously also doesn't want to take as big of a risk as I have heard many reports of the waterpark being a major draw here, rather than some of the dry side.

Just the absolute clueless were claiming a coaster was coming in 2016. Those in the know and ones that follow the park knew that would not be the case.

The flyers were always on tap for this year. Originally it was going to be just the flyers and a new gate. The new gate coincidentally is already designed and will be coming in the near future. When the park decided that the earmarked funds were not sufficient to do the front gate redesign the way they wanted the money became available to do something else. It was then that the idea to add to Planet Snoopy came into fruition. After seeing the success KI had with adding the flyers to their Planet Snoopy, the plan changed to locating them there along with adding more kiddie rides (which are cheaper than mega thrill rides - more bang for your buck).

Also related is that money also had to be budgeted to continue work on the re profiling of Timber Wolf. The plan is to still take two more seasons to finish the project but there is a possibility of that being sped up.

Also unless something drastic happens, look for place making and a new Darkride in Bicentennial Square for 2017. This is supposedly the next "area" that will be upgraded (and falls in line with a future coaster plaza in that area rumor).

Oh and ThunderHawk *may* be back next year. Its fate is still being decided. If it is removed, I've heard rumor that entire area might be shut off for 2016 and Timber Wolf would use its "Haunt season exit" where it empties by the Cyclone Sam's exit by Planet Snoopy. Again lots can change between now and the start of the 2016 season.

How would you shut off an open area of the park like that? It doesn't make sense to me. What about Blood on the Bayou? Or CarnEvil? You cant put just put a small fence up. That would look almost trashy.

They already close off that area for Haunt during the day (hence the Haunt version exit for Timber Wolf).

Would it make sense to staff games in the area if ThunderHawk is gone? No it wouldn't (and the area is battened up as in when the ride is down). Besides with the area shut off, they could start construction earlier. The fence could have teasers on it.

Regarding Clowns, it may be moved this season. Blood on the Bayou could move entrance to near SteelHawk and exit could go through TWolf's haunt exit if the area is already under construction next year's fall

I'm very disappointed with the 2016 announcement, for obviously selfish reasons. Bash me if you want, I don't care about kiddie rides lol!

I take it you dont have kids. Seeing your kids happy faces on kiddie rides is great! Getting them into theme parks is fun

All though this obviously isn't the most appealing addition for coaster enthusiasts, I see it as a step closer to a thrilling ride. Knowing that Cedar Fair and Worlds of Fun both have some sense still , they won't be adding more and more kiddie rides. They know that a majority of the crowd they get there, which is based off what I see when visiting the park, is the teen age group.

I was looking at some of my old WOF maps I had as a kid, and I noticed something. There was this one ride that I used to go on as a kid when Camp Snoopy first opened. It was called Woodstock Express. I haven't been to the Planet Snoopy area in years, and I was wondering, does anyone know if it's still there? Has it been re-themed since Camp Snoopy is now Planet Snoopy? I think it was next to Wacky Worm (now Cosmic Coaster).

Here's a picture of it:

And also, I noticed in the drawing of the Planet Snoopy expansion, they have one that looks similar. Here's a picture of it (with the new ride circled)

If it was removed, why are they adding another one that's essentially the same ride, and why did they remove the old one?

I remember when I went on my first WOF trip at age 3, that and Woodstock's Airmail were my favorite rides. Now they're Mamba and Patriot and I'm 16

Hey everyone, I just found out I have a chance to visit Knott's Berry Farm in either 2016 or 2017. We're going out to California to visit our cousins and my family is planning on going to Disney Land. However, I think Knott's is more of the park for me. My home park is Worlds of Fun, and I've never been to any other CF park. Can somebody explain how KBF and WOF compare? I know Knott's is much larger, but how do the rides compare? I am a fan of rollercoasters and thrill rides. A Cedar Point-style park would probably be my favorite (which is why I'd rather go to Knotts than Disney). Anyways, what can I expect when visiting a large Cedar Fair park for the first time after visiting Worlds of Fun every year?

Hey everyone, I just found out I have a chance to visit Knott's Berry Farm in either 2016 or 2017. We're going out to California to visit our cousins and my family is planning on going to Disney Land. However, I think Knott's is more of the park for me. My home park is Worlds of Fun, and I've never been to any other CF park. Can somebody explain how KBF and WOF compare? I know Knott's is much larger, but how do the rides compare? I am a fan of rollercoasters and thrill rides. A Cedar Point-style park would probably be my favorite (which is why I'd rather go to Knotts than Disney). Anyways, what can I expect when visiting a large Cedar Fair park for the first time after visiting Worlds of Fun every year?

If you're into roller coasters and thrill rides only, I would recommend SFMM as you can ride some awesome coasters like X2, Twisted Colossus, Tatsu, and Full Throttle. But if that isn't an option, Knott's is great. Here is a quick overview of the major rides.

To be honest, you probably won't find much of a difference between Silver Bullet and Patriot. Both are considered to be B&M's weakest inverts (even though I enjoy SB quite a bit), so don't expect anything mind-blowing. Smooth, loopy, and fun.

Xcelerator is fantastic. It's unlike anything at Worlds of Fun. Hopefully by 2016 or 2017, when you visit, it will be in better shape than it is now, considering it has been running the same train for quite some time and needs some off-season work. It's still a great ride, regardless.

GhostRider will likely be finished with its refurbishment when you visit, so it could very well be the best ride in the park if some serious work is done on it. When it's smooth (and minimal trimming on the MCBR), it's a very good coaster.

Boomerang is Boomerang. Eh. For the credit?

Montezooma's Revenge is a classic and there is nothing like it in the US. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe it runs the fastest and goes higher up the spikes than any other operating shuttle loop. Ride the back row and front row at least once (the former being my favorite).

The Log Ride, Calico Mine Ride, and Iron Reef are all great "dark" rides. The Log Ride and Calico are classic and have a lot of charm, and Iron Reef is pretty dang good for a CF dark ride (don't expect anything Disney or Universal level, but it isn't bad at all and gets more crap than it deserves IMO).

Jaguar/Pony Express/Coast Rider/Sierra Sidewinder are fairly standard family coasters. Sidewinder is the best of them (and you may find some similarities with Spinning Dragons at WoF). Coast Rider is good when it isn't trimmed. Pony is pretty short and hurts my back, but you may find it fun. Jaguar is long, rough, and fairly boring, but worth a ride or two.

Supreme Scream is your standard S&S drop tower. It's one of the taller ones (can't remember if it's the tallest S&S tower anymore).

That's everything, I believe, in terms of major thrill rides. Ghost Town is historic and unique if you're into that kind of stuff. And who knows, maybe some new rides will be added if you end up visiting in 2017 .

EDIT: And maybe this should have gone in the Knott's thread? I wasn't paying attention haha.

If you're into roller coasters and thrill rides only, I would recommend SFMM as you can ride some awesome coasters like X2, Twisted Colossus, Tatsu, and YOLOcoaster. But if that isn't an option, Knott's is great. Here is a quick overview of the major rides.

To be honest, you probably won't find much of a difference between Silver Bullet and Patriot. Both are considered to be B&M's weakest inverts (even though I enjoy SB quite a bit), so don't expect anything mind-blowing. Smooth, loopy, and fun.

Xcelerator is fantastic. It's unlike anything at Worlds of Fun. Hopefully by 2016 or 2017, when you visit, it will be in better shape than it is now, considering it has been running the same train for quite some time and needs some off-season work. It's still a great ride, regardless.

GhostRider will likely be finished with its refurbishment when you visit, so it could very well be the best ride in the park if some serious work is done on it. When it's smooth (and minimal trimming on the MCBR), it's a very good coaster.

Boomerang is Boomerang. Eh. For the credit?

Montezooma's Revenge is a classic and there is nothing like it in the US. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe it runs the fastest and goes higher up the spikes than any other operating shuttle loop. Ride the back row and front row at least once (the former being my favorite).

The Log Ride, Calico Mine Ride, and Iron Reef are all great "dark" rides. The Log Ride and Calico are classic and have a lot of charm, and Iron Reef is pretty dang good for a CF dark ride (don't expect anything Disney or Universal level, but it isn't bad at all and gets more crap than it deserves IMO).

Jaguar/Pony Express/Coast Rider/Sierra Sidewinder are fairly standard family coasters. Sidewinder is the best of them (and you may find some similarities with Spinning Dragons at WoF). Coast Rider is good when it isn't trimmed. Pony is pretty short and hurts my back, but you may find it fun. Jaguar is long, rough, and fairly boring, but worth a ride or two.

Supreme Scream is your standard S&S drop tower. It's one of the taller ones (can't remember if it's the tallest S&S tower anymore).

That's everything, I believe, in terms of major thrill rides. Ghost Town is historic and unique if you're into that kind of stuff. And who knows, maybe some new rides will be added if you end up visiting in 2017 .

EDIT: And maybe this should have gone in the Knott's thread? I wasn't paying attention haha.

Thanks! I am still trying to decide. SFMM sounds better but I have 2 little siblings going with me so I'm thinking Knott's is the way to go.

Maybe I should have put this in the Knott's thread. But the reason I put it here is because I figured a lot of people in the Knott's thread haven't been to Worlds of Fun and might not be able to make a comparison. Anyways, thanks for the help!

^ I kind of talked about that above, but really they have two options

1. Leave it open with everything shutdown to use as exit for Timberwolf (this happened most of last season and is happening now)

2. Shut it off and use Timberwolf's Haunt exit (this exit comes out by Cyclone Sam's exit near Planet Snoopy)

Personally I think option 2 makes most sense if THawk is indeed leaving. That would allow to go ahead and begin the placemaking of that area (which seems to be what is coming next). As for Blood on the Bayou access, you could enter near WindseekerHawk and exit through Timberwolf's Haunt exit.

Already setting up haunt around the park including Asylum Island and London Terror.

I'm very sad I won't be able to go this year. I've gone at least twice the past 4 I imagine no other park will compare because of how high WoF sets the bar. They might do a lot of things wrong, but Halloween is one thing worlds of fun does all too right.

Already setting up haunt around the park including Asylum Island and London Terror.

I'm very sad I won't be able to go this year. I've gone at least twice the past 4 I imagine no other park will compare because of how high WoF sets the bar. They might do a lot of things wrong, but Halloween is one thing worlds of fun does all too right.

I've been to a lot of Halloween events, but WoF tops all of them, even Knott's... I will be working at Haunt this year in the Boneyard, so I can't wait to scare you all...

The artwork makes it look like new attractions are all on the right, my mistake. The Kite Flyers are usually called "Linus Launcher", right? Maybe Snoopy's Space Buggies is actually the Kite Flyer.