TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Worlds of Fun (WOF) Discussion Thread

I would definitely buy a rumor that WOF will get a new entrance soon. Even aside from the current trend, WOF's entrance has always been wack. I guess they're probably not going to want to move those buildings around, but they can certainly do a lot to fix up that awkward long walk from the parking lot. Or maybe they'll even just move the front gates out to the parking lot - that'd free up some easy space for some new stuff.

Finally decided to post after reading the forum for some time.

The topic that was mentioned about Timber Wolf not getting the RMC/GCI treatment looks to be true. Has anyone considered the hypothetical possibility it was a bone to throw us off? I find half truth in most rumors and it could be they have been in talks with RMC/GCI, just not for Timber Wolf. My thought would be since Worlds of Fun is still considered a smaller park a more fitting coaster might be in store for the Front Entrance Plaza. A tall RMC/GCI woodie could be nicely integrated into Orients old lot as said before. It would give the park a major cost effective anchor ride/front entrance combo and third wood coaster on each corner of the property respectively. The budget could still include the flat ride package, dark ride and improved capacity to fit the scale of the park. The park wouldn't be replacing a coaster for another one thus keeping our coaster count leaving space on west side of park for next big ride.

The topic that was mentioned about Timber Wolf not getting the RMC/GCI treatment looks to be true. Has anyone considered the hypothetical possibility it was a bone to throw us off? I find half truth in most rumors and it could be they have been in talks with RMC/GCI, just not for Timber Wolf. My thought would be since Worlds of Fun is still considered a smaller park a more fitting coaster might be in store for the Front Entrance Plaza. A tall RMC/GCI woodie could be nicely integrated into Orients old lot as said before. It would give the park a major cost effective anchor ride/front entrance combo and third wood coaster on each corner of the property respectively. The budget could still include the flat ride package, dark ride and improved capacity to fit the scale of the park. The park wouldn't be replacing a coaster for another one thus keeping our coaster count leaving space on west side of park for next big ride.

I could see that. Could you imagine though, an RMC wood coaster doing a zero-g stall over the main entrance to the park?!?! ..sorta like Gatekeeper and the keyhole elements.. one can only dream right?

I'm assuming people are starting to hear about the new entrance Kings Dominion is potentially receiving? Would CF do more than one park entrance in one year?

This thread gets so dead so quickly..

Possibly. I love Cedar Fair and I'm pretty 2016 is going to be a BIG year for the company. Let's hope it's something MASSIVE and full of THRILLS!

Based on the Previous Ouimet Years (2013, 2014, 2015) He seems to just want to go "Big" at one park (Gatekeeper, Banshee, Fury 3 2 5) and if the Rumors of a Dive at CP are true, Then that's the "Cookie" that year.

Hmm I wonder what they all have planned at kings dominion, cedar point, and world's of fun for 2016. I also remember hearing about Michigans Adventure. 2016 is shaping up to be a big year for Cedar Fair.

I have read threads on every cedar fair park. Every year everyone has high expectations. We can all hope some of the older cedar fair parks finally get some love. I feel since the Paramount purchase, the other parks haven't received as much attention. Lets all hope for a big year!

Yes, but WOF is the only park to announce that something WILL be built next year, via their enthusiast event.

I'm assuming people are starting to hear about the new entrance Kings Dominion is potentially receiving? Would CF do more than one park entrance in one year?

I'm hearing KD is 2017, while next year is small stuff.

The topic that was mentioned about Timber Wolf not getting the RMC/GCI treatment looks to be true.

I think the Screamscape "rumor" was WOF had requested for bids from GCI and RMC. It doesn't appear that RMC will be doing a conversion of Timber Wolf (at least anytime soon), but it's possible the extensive retracking of the first drop and first turn are being done by GCI. They have done restoration work on woodies at other Cedar Fair parks recently.

Everybody seems to be thinking every Cedar Fair park is getting a giant B&M next year. CP, CW, KD, VF, and now WOF? What's next? Michigan's Adventure? At most, two CF parks will be getting new B&Ms.

I heard that Canada's Wonderland and Kings Dominion will be the ones in 2017 to get a coaster. As for Valleyfair,they just got a major investment to there waterpark, so I don't see Cedar Fair giving them something huge for 2016 either since Valleyfair is on the smaller side.I have also heard from an employee that 2016 Dorney Park will expand and with that expansion they will first get a coaster like a nice and cheap GCI woodie, like in 2013 when Cedar Point got Gatekeeper and CGA also got Gold Striker in the same year.

Just like I posted on MIA thread, I think a small B&M dive coaster like Baron 1898 or Oblivion would do this park great! Even though it might be a little pricey, I don't think it would cost a HUGE fortune. The important thing is making sure the ride has a great theme or storyline.

^ I highly doubt a Dive Machine would be installed in a small Park like WOF. I think the best types to speculate for WOF would be a Wingcoaster, an RMC, or a premier. A Dive Machine would be great, but just extremely unlikely.

I think a wing coaster like Gatekeeper is highly unlikely too, it was very expensive and I think I heard that they wanted to make Gatekeeper the only one in the chain. RMC I think is also unlikely at this point in time since Timber Wolf already is getting retracked by GCI. I like the idea of a Premier launch coaster since they don't have any launch coasters at the park.

I think a wing coaster like Gatekeeper is highly unlikely too, it was very expensive and I think I heard that they wanted to make Gatekeeper the only one in the chain. RMC I think is also unlikely at this point in time since Timber Wolf already is getting retracked by GCI.

And then the depression sets in...

Okay, lets do the math (I hate math):

1. Cedar Fair said a budget for $120 million

2. We know of five POSSIBLE parks at this point: CP, CW, KD, WOF, and MIA.

3. Divide $120 million by 5.

4. You have $24 million for each park.

5. THERE'S NO EXCUSE that these parks could have a 2016 roller coaster.

Heck, you could even get a B&M coaster with $24 million! Take a look at Thunderbird which is the world's first launched wing coaster. That was $22 million! Then you would have $2 million to spend on creating the theme for the ride.

Now I could be totally wrong about these numbers, so don't jump down my throat about how "inaccurate" this may be, but it's something to think about. At this point Cedar Fair is carefully overlooking each park to see what the public may want, and whatever that might be I truly hope it's a ROLLER COASTER!

That math is good, but Cedar Fair's past does not change. I totally agree that they could just put a roller coaster at those five parks that you mentioned if this was Six Flags, but Cedar Fair like to spread out there money to all the parks and give investments to everyone (usually). Cedar Fair usually doesn't get more then 2 coasters every year, look at this year, the only real coaster they got was Fury 325. In 2016 I see Cedar Fair installing a roller coaster at two of there parks and one being the B&M dive coaster going at Cedar Point and the other could go to WoF, MIA, or DP. IMO KD will get a coaster in 2017 and somehow I am thinking CW in 2018, then back to KI in 2019 so they focus on one big park a year and in the same year a smaller park.

Honestly a small dive machine isn't something certainly to rule out. Griffin was what 16 mil and it's the biggest if the bunch. Patriot was 14 mil and it didn't seem to set the park back too much seeing that they got prowler three years later. The smaller dive machines definitely wouldn't cost that much seeing that they take up less material and space. It would also fill the needed gap of a sit down inverting coaster or a floorless coaster.

I love Cedar Point, but it's time to let another park have their shine. When Cedar Point moves rides and clear land some cheer coaster. But when other parks move rides or clear land some think negative. Many think nothing is going to happen, or no coaster is coming. But what we fail to realize is that Cedar Fair might surprise us all next year. What we think might come to a certain park, might end up going somewhere. I would love to see a COASTER at WOF, MIA, or KD. All I can say is that rumors are going to be rumors until we start to see some significant evidence. But it's all about HAVING FUN speculating! As long we continue to share our ideas with each other and what we think may come in 2016 is what Cedar Fair and other major companies look for. Without us as theme park junkies speculating or throwing our ideas around, they wouldn't have any clue as to what to add at their parks. To be honest, theme park companies HIGHLY depend on rumors. It sounds crazy, but true.

As long we continue to share our ideas with each other and what we think may come in 2016 is what Cedar Fair and other major companies look for. Without us as theme park junkies speculating or throwing our ideas around, they wouldn't have any clue as to what to add at their parks. To be honest, theme park companies HIGHLY depend on rumors. It sounds crazy, but true.

I don't know what to do with that. I mean. I'm pretty sure cedar fair, herschend, sea world, and six flags all have multi-year plans. I don't think us speculating led to Carowinds getting a $50,000,000 investment in 3 years. I also don't think us speculating has much impact on the theme park industry in general, because if it did there would be 12 million rollercoasters every year lol. Just like every other industry the world has, money is what determines who gets what and when. It's a nice idea to think enthusiasts have a say in what happens in parks across the globe, but let's be honest. Moneymoneymoneymoney. That's why parks get improvements, expansions, new rides, new food, etc. Regardless of what we want to believe the end goal for all of the parks is increased attendance, which means an increase in profit.

IMO, a theme park would see an increase in attendance if a large new attraction was built. Especially in a metro area where there isn't any nearby competition. And room for expansion every which way. OH WAIT. THAT WOULD MAKE SENSE FOR WORLDS OF FUN. INTERESTING.

People always say ,"oh worlds of fun doesn't get a big enough flow of visitors to get a coaster." I mean you have to start somewhere. Making a big investment will bring in, usually, more people. More people = more money. More money means more investments. It's that simple.

People always say ,"oh worlds of fun doesn't get a big enough flow of visitors to get a coaster." I mean you have to start somewhere. Making a big investment will bring in, usually, more people. More people = more money. More money means more investments. It's that simple.

Ask six flags how that worked for them!

Possibly. I love Cedar Fair and I'm pretty 2016 is going to be a BIG year for the company. Let's hope it's something MASSIVE and full of THRILLS!

Based on the Previous Ouimet Years (2013, 2014, 2015) He seems to just want to go "Big" at one park (Gatekeeper, Banshee, Fury 3 2 5) and if the Rumors of a Dive at CP are true, Then that's the "Cookie" that year.

Actually, from what I understand, its the parks themselves who decides what they want. Rob Decker is over design and something for the entire chain. Each park is given a budget based on their performance the prev year, i think. Its up to that park to use all said budget or not. If they don't it seems they still have that money to use. So yeah...if a park hasn't gotten that big coaster you feel deserve...blame it on that particular park lol.

Actually, from what I understand, its the parks themselves who decides what they want. Rob Decker is over design and something for the entire chain. Each park is given a budget based on their performance the prev year, i think. Its up to that park to use all said budget or not. If they don't it seems they still have that money to use. So yeah...if a park hasn't gotten that big coaster you feel deserve...blame it on that particular park lol.

I know this is what it used to be like when I worked for them. Each park was operated as an Individual Business Unit, which means the Suits kick in for somethings, but not everything, and there must be an ROI in a reasonable amount of time. It appears to me this may be the case today.