TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Worlds of Fun (WOF) Discussion Thread

^

Considering all that I've heard about Timber Wolf being a back-breaker, it would be the perfect coaster for Cedar Fair to try out RMC. I guess it is possible that it could be just topper track as opposed to a complete I-box transformation. Either one would make this ride much better. All things considered, this probably wouldn't happen until 2017, but I could be wrong.

Anyone read Screamscape this morning? Cedar Fair may end up using WoF as a test park for RMC:

2016 / 2017 - New Additions - Planning - (11/24/14) Screamscape sources tell us that Worlds of Fun is planning on adding unknown new attractions to the theme park in both 2016 and 2017, one of which is rumored to possibly be a new Triotech style dark ride. There are also rumblings about some kind of possible upgrade for Timberwolf being planned, with bid and design requests sent out to both GCI and RMC. Hmmm… interesting times…

I think it will be a transformation into a topper track wooden coaster rather than an I-box transformation. If this is true, and all goes well, I think Ghostrider and Mean Streak will follow suit.

I went to Coaster Mayhem this year at WOF and asked them if they had been talking to RMC recently (as a joke) and he said yes. He said they were in talks with RMC and GCI. Even if nothing comes of it, what is on Screamscape is true. RMC also announced that they have FOUR projects for 2017, hmmmm....

As for the dark ride, that is realistic too. I asked him "Is a dark ride coming to WOF in 2016/2017?", and he responded with "That hits a little too close to home...", then the GM and the maintenance director laughed nervously.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

There's a chance I might be going to Kansas City in early May, and while there I'd like to pay a visit to Worlds of Fun. Not completely sure if I'm going yet, but hopefully I do. I hope a WOF local could answer a few questions.

1) How bad would lines and crowds be on a weekend day in early May? I don't think I'd need a Fast Lane, but I could be wrong.

2) It sounds like Prowler, Patriot, and Mamba are the must-ride coasters. Any other rides I should definitely check out?

3) Where are the best places to sit on the must-rides?

4) Is Timber Wolf really as bad as people say it is? If so, I might end up skipping it.

5) Anything else I should know about Worlds of Fun?

I'm not sure about the crowds because I've not been in several years. You absolutely must ride Sam's Cyclone! Its the best flat in the Park! Also, Timber Wolf is rough, but ridable. Its worth one ride for the credit, at least.

I'll second the Cyclone Sam's recommendation. Somehow being enclosed makes that ride 1000x better. They also have an old Eli wheel on a hill next to Patriot that I thought was really cool.

Timber Wolf was pretty much unbearable in October. It was so rough I was surprised it was still open for fear of lawsuits. I'm sure it will be better in May, especially since I'm pretty sure they said they would be working on it, but if you are worried about upsetting an injury or something you won't miss much by skipping it.

1. Weekend in early May will be crowded, but bearable. As long as you don't mind lines too much, should be fine. You can ride all the coasters once easily without it, but if you're wanting re-rides, Fast Lane is not a bad idea.

2. Prowler, Patriot, and Timber Wolf are the park's three custom coasters; the rest are clones. Spinning Dragons is identical other than paint scheme to Fairly Odd Coaster, Cosmic Coaster is a Wacky Worm, and Boomerang is...oh I forget what it's a clone of. So if you've been on those types before, all these are skippable. Mamba is a clone, too, but it's a very good clone, and there really aren't all that many of those anyway. So you want to ride Mamba.

3. For Patriot, the front seat is best, which is generally true of inverts. Mamba and Prowler are both more intense in the back.

4. Yes, TImber Wolf is terribly rough these days, but it's still fun. It rattles you a lot, but there's not really a big jolting drop or anything that would cause acute pain, just lots of shaking. You'll be fine on it, and with the right attitude you'll have fun, but don't go more than once.

5. Worlds of Fun has a lot of flats. People who like spinning rides say that Cyclone Sam's is very good, so if you're into that, by all means, go. Finnish Fling is an old ride that is becoming rare, so if you like to spin, make sure to hit that one. If you're like me and don't like to spin, Detonator and Fury of the Nile are must-rides. Detonator is a very good shot tower, a bit higher than Mamba even. The shot upwards is very intense, and there's good, sustained airtime on the return trip. Fury of the Nile is one of the better raft rides I've been on, and that's a ride type I always enjoy. Since you're going in July, it'll have a very long line, so you may want to hit it up early. The entrance is close to Mamba.

Also, don't forget that Oceans of Fun is included with your ticket now, and the renovations of 2013 really improved it. There aren't any unique slides, so I wouldn't say it's absolutely essential, but it's a very solid waterpark. If you have the inclination, you won't be disappointed.

Welcome to Missouri, and if you're staying a few days, you may want to check out some of the other Kansas City attractions. Schlitterbahn, Union Station, the World War I Memorial, and Crowne Plaza are all worthwhile, and the last three are all in the same area. Power & Light District has a great pub/music scene, and Boulevard Brewing Co. is a great spot as well. They sell their beer nationally now, so you may be able to find some near you. If you're into history, President Truman's home in Independence is a short but worthwhile trip. Have fun in KC!

Edited by ytterbiumanalyst

2. Prowler, Patriot, and Timber Wolf are the park's three custom coasters; the rest are clones. Spinning Dragons is identical other than paint scheme to Fairly Odd Coaster, Cosmic Coaster is a Wacky Worm, and Boomerang is...oh I forget what it's a clone of. So if you've been on those types before, all these are skippable. Mamba is a clone, too, but it's a very good clone, and there really aren't all that many of those anyway. So you want to ride Mamba.

All 4 Morgan Hypers, Steels Eel and Dragon are custom.

*edited*

*edited*

Steel Force has that tunnel but otherwise is identical. To me, that's a clone, but obviously opinions vary.

Mamba helix drops down to the ground and doesn't have that really long section of track before slightly going down. Definitely not a clone. The lines on those days can be around an hour. Prowler and mamba are the best rides in the park due to their airtime. Also detonator is 180ft while mamba is 205ft. I know it's a bit off topic there lol.

Now, I personally find timber wolf rough but I love the ride. It's just so unique and filled with Classic ejector airtime. I'd ride it if you won't mind a bit of a rattle.

*edited*

Steel Force has that tunnel but otherwise is identical. To me, that's a clone, but obviously opinions vary.

Steel Force and Mamba are similar rides with two big hills/drops followed by a helix, then mid-course brake, return hills and double-up near the end. They are also painted in a similar color scheme. Other than those similarities, they are two different coaster designs. The profiles of the rides are very different as both coasters are on completely different terrain, so both rides were designed for their specific terrain and park. Mamba has a much better second drop due to the ground dropping off and giving the ride a 184ft second drop. The ride then turns to the right and Steel Force continues in a straight line until it starts the helix. The helix on each ride is different (terrain again playing a role), as is the support structure for each. Mamba was designed with the track threading the supports and giving the illusion of headchoppers late in the helix. The return runs on both rides have hills, but again, the terrain is very different for each ride. Steel Force has large hills, but Mamba has to climb back up from a valley and besides the drop of the brake, the rest of the hills are very shallow.

As stated previously, all the Cedar Fair Morgan coasters are custom designs. I am sure Steve Okamoto, the designer of the rides would tell you the same thing.

*edited*

A little research goes a long way.. But they do look similar so I can understand the confusion

I'm looking at visiting the park on April 25. Am I right to assume that the crowds will be pretty light?

I would guess it will be pretty light since it's so early in the season. I usually visit on Sundays in the spring and fall and the park is completely empty most days. Saturday shouldn't be much busier...

• 2 weeks later...
I thought it was always that way. We never paid extra to go to oceans of fun. Maybe I missed something

If you went before 2013, you certainly did pay extra. Oceans of Fun was indeed a separate admission, although the two parks were connected. There was an admission gate around the back of Fury of the Nile (where the parks connect now), and they used to check your ticket there. You could buy a 2-park pass and get into both the same day, but it did cost extra. Beginning in 2013, they gave everyone admission to both parks for one price.