TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Worlds of Fun (WOF) Discussion Thread

I agree that the park is setup to get something big in 2016. Something is either going to happen to Timber Wolf or something will take it's place. I think it's odd how no one else is talking about how insanely rough that ride has become. We complain about a lot of rough rides on this forum, but nothing I've ever ridden has come close to being so ridiculously shaky as this thing. Mean Streak and CGA's Grizzly have nothing on this ride in terms of roughness. It's almost dangerous.

I've somehow got immune to the roughness of the ride. I don't notice it anymore until it hits me after the ride where every kne collapses and starts crying in pain lol just kidding. I still like the airtime and how they don't use the trim anymore

I don't see WOF getting anything major in 2016. Maybe a flat ride or an upgraded family edition. Don't get me wrong, it's possible for the park to get something major, but I don't see it happening in 2016. I only think this because Valleyfair is right on the line for a major coaster in 2016, along with Canada Wonderland. I just don't see all 3 of these parks getting major coasters for 2016. CW already has major land clearings and Valleyfair's GM is hinting at 2016, also someone on the VF thread is sitting on a rumor for 2016 from a reliable source. Maybe 2017 is for WOF but if I were to give it my best guess I would say 2016 is the year for Valleyfair and Canada's Wonderland.

Holy crap was yesterday busy. Patriot had full que and went back to steelhawk, mamba had a full que and went to then photo booth.boomernag had a full que and went back to the pretzel shop. Prowler had a full que and went back to the train bridge. Timberwolf had half que, which will be explained later.

Now I may have made the biggest discovery in boomerang history, I found a place to sit where it wasn't all that rough, the very back. It was actually fun to ride it there and theforces are really strong there.

Timberwolf was absolutely brutal, and mamba was running good.

SteelHawk is closed for the rest of the season too.

After what most consider a very disappointing new addition for 2015 I can't help but wonder if it means we are getting something BIG for 2016?

Honestly, I would love something along the lines of Maverick or Helix, if not a RMC anything.

After what most consider a very disappointing new addition for 2015 I can't help but wonder if it means we are getting something BIG for 2016?

Honestly, I would love something along the lines of Maverick or Helix, if not a RMC anything.

RMC anything at any Cedar Fair park would be welcomed. And seeing how rough Timber Wolf has gotten, that would be a good jump-in.

Yea, after watching a video of helix, I think it would be perfect for worlds of fun, we need launches, inversions, intensity and airtime. Not that worlds of fun lacks airtime because almost all their rides have airtime, but it makes a coaster better

You're talking about a massive expensive coaster. Not many have been built in the US and Cedar Fair has been utilizing B&M for their major coaster projects lately. I love Cedar Fair, but that's not the type of innovation you see on this side of the ocean. Especially from a corporate park like WoF, at least lately. Even if Cedar Fair did go that route, I doubt you would see the new cutting edge roller coaster pop up in Kansas City. You'll likely get something already proven that is marketable and reliable.

You're talking about a massive expensive coaster. Not many have been built in the US and Cedar Fair has been utilizing B&M for their major coaster projects lately. I love Cedar Fair, but that's not the type of innovation you see on this side of the ocean. Especially from a corporate park like WoF, at least lately. Even if Cedar Fair did go that route, I doubt you would see the new cutting edge roller coaster pop up in Kansas City. You'll likely get something already proven that is marketable and reliable.

And that is unfortuante if it becomes true. WoF could use a great, cutting edge ride. It will pull locals into the park plus attract non locals as well. If they have a good ride, it will work out for them. Simple enough.

Of course this is purely speculation and I could be completely wrong, but I think WOF next coaster will be either a launched coaster, or a wingrider, or thanks to HW, both. And I wouldn't be surprised if it were to interact with the front gate in some way.

^ I agree. A launched wing rider is probably the safest bet and it would go well with the park.

If they have a good ride, it will work out for them. Simple enough.

It's really not that simple. You have other factors like reliability and capacity. That's why B&M, although not cutting edge, is a safe bet for Cedar Fair. Although not cutting edge, the GP loves them, they are high capacity, and they are reliable. Except for parks like Cedar Point, people who travel to ride roller coasters make up a small percentage of park revenue. You can build a giant launched coaster, but you're still going to pull mostly from the surrounding area, which is made up of a somewhat small population pool. The ends have to justify the means.

The safest bet would be a traditional B&M coaster without any gimmicks - such as a standard floorless or wing coaster. There will be no launch and you can expect 4-5 inversions.

I love to speculate with the best of them, but let's not be completely ridiculous. I've been with this park long enough to know how things work -- AND if you think that a coaster will appear before 2017 then you will be disappointed. 2016 is basically a done deal already and it does not include a coaster

The safest bet would be a traditional B&M coaster without any gimmicks - such as a standard floorless or wing coaster. There will be no launch and you can expect 4-5 inversions.

I love to speculate with the best of them, but let's not be completely ridiculous. I've been with this park long enough to know how things work -- AND if you think that a coaster will appear before 2017 then you will be disappointed. 2016 is basically a done deal already and it does not include a coaster

Well, let's be honest, here: A wing coaster is a gimmicky new style. There are only a handful of them, and they've only been in North America since 2012. Most people have not ridden one at all, since you have to know where they are and plan to go to a park that has one. Considering that the vast majority of people only go to their local park, you can guarantee there will be a sizable portion of WoF's patrons who have never heard of a wing coaster, let alone seen one. So a wing coaster would be a new and exciting thing for them.

But really, I think a standard B&M sit-down looper, floorless or floored, would be a great choice. There are a lot of us who loved Orient Express and still feel like we haven't seen its replacement. A standard B&M would fit most people's expectations of what Orient Express II should look like, and it would be a big hit for Worlds of Fun, at less of an investment than a wing coaster would be, whenever the time comes for a new coaster.

Well, let's be honest, here: A wing coaster is a gimmicky new style.

A wing coaster is not a gimmicky coaster, they are a new type of coaster that offers a very different experience compared to regular roller coasters.

The Premier drifting coaster is an example of a gimmicky coaster.

Well, let's be honest, here: A wing coaster is a gimmicky new style.

A wing coaster is not a gimmicky coaster, they are a new type of coaster that offers a very different experience compared to regular roller coasters.

The Premier drifting coaster is an example of a gimmicky coaster.

And I absolutely loved the one wing coaster I've ridden, X-Flight at Six Flags Great America in Chicago. But this was in response to a member who lumped them in with floorless coasters as a "traditional" style, and they most definitely are not traditional. Also, consider that no park builds coasters for enthusiasts; with few notable exceptions I'm sure we could all name, parks build coasters in general for the people from that local area, most of which are not knowledgeable about coasters, especially coaster types that have never before been seen in that area. If you ask any random non-enthusiast to describe a wing coaster, what they'll tell you is that the seats are ON THE SIDE!!!!!!! That's a gimmick. In the case of X-Flight, it's a very well done and highly enjoyable gimmick, but that's what it is, and that's how it will generally be perceived.

If you ask any random non-enthusiast to describe a wing coaster, what they'll tell you is that the seats are ON THE SIDE!!!!!!! That's a gimmick. In the case of X-Flight, it's a very well done and highly enjoyable gimmick, but that's what it is, and that's how it will generally be perceived.

Inverted coasters: seats are UNDER THE TRACK! By your definition that's a gimmick. Loops, cork screws... banked turns... steel roller coasters... all gimmicks.

^ Yes, if you asked me in 1994 if an inverted coaster is a gimmick, I'd tell you it is. Keep in mind wing coasters have been around now for three full seasons in the US, and there are exactly 3 of them (and one under construction). They're not mainstream. The wooden coaster with inversions is very much a gimmick at this time also.

You've brought up older elements like the corkscrew. Why do you think Cedar Point's Corkscrew goes over the midway? That was a gimmick, and an effective one. They could have put the corkscrews anywhere, but they wanted something to grab people's attention. Any design decision whose primary purpose is attention grabbing is a gimmick.

The word "gimmick" is thrown around so much by coaster enthusiasts for no good reason.

Wanna know the definition of "gimmick"? "A trick or device intended to attract attention, publicity, or business."

So therefore any new addition to a park is a gimmick, whether it be a wing coaster or a kiddie coaster that consists of a single hill.

But this was in response to a member who lumped them in with floorless coasters as a "traditional" style, and they most definitely are not traditional.

Wrong. This was in response to a member who was stating that any new coaster would be a STANDARD B&M coaster WITHOUT GIMMICKS -- AS IN A LAUNCH. Which is what numerous younger posters were foaming at the mouth about earlier.

If and when WOF gets their next coaster it will contain a standard chain lift.