TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Worlds of Fun (WOF) Discussion Thread

Was it confirmed that the Go Karts are being removed for Steelhawk?

Well, they say that steel hawk will be across from patriot. So I don't know If that means the go karts a being removed or not. I can't seem to find any other area near patriot for it to go besides where the go karts are. So more than likely, they are being removed

• 2 weeks later...

Iron Horse for sure..I don't see topper track getting any of the GP excited. With Iron Horse they could do much more, like make it taller, give it some heavily-banked turns and even add inversions - but even then, I really don't think Timberwolf has that great of a layout to want to keep it even in Iron Horse form. I hope they tear it down and build a steel coaster.

Timber Wolf doesn't need any major changes to its layout. Topper track to bring the ride back to the amazing fast, smooth, fast, fun, and fast ride it was those first few seasons is all the coaster needs. Then WOF could get an all new design from RMC to have 3 of the best wooden coasters on the planet. Put something worthy of Orient Express's memory in that spot in the front of the park. The terrain changes there are an opportunity for a creative designer to come up with a ride that blows people's minds.

Iron Horse for sure..I don't see topper track getting any of the GP excited. With Iron Horse they could do much more, like make it taller, give it some heavily-banked turns and even add inversions - but even then, I really don't think Timberwolf has that great of a layout to want to keep it even in Iron Horse form. I hope they tear it down and build a steel coaster.

If it were to be torn down, I'd prefer to see an RMC take its place. But at the same time, this is Cedar Fair. For some reason they have not done anything with RMC and it doesnt make sense.

^I'd be for an RMC in that spot in 5-10 years, granted they build a good steel coaster elsewhere in the meantime.

Have any coasters ever done completely re-done with topper track? I don't see topper track as a great option for Timberwolf either way. If RMC did an Iron Horse version of Timberwolf, they could get rid of that crappy mid-course helix, make the ride taller and redo the first drop to be better and get rid of the pre-drop turn. Yet, I still can't see the ride being as great as New Texas Giant, Iron Rattler, or even Six Flags Medusa, so why not tear it down in 5-10 years and build something new?

What would serve the park best would be to have a unique signature coaster out in that field next to the highway behind Timberwolf. So really it would do them a lot of good to remove Timberwolf and expand the park into that space. The park has two woodies; one is by far their best coaster and the other is by far their worst. I rode Timberwolf this past summer when we were up there, and it was still fun, but my back was sore afterward and I had to sit down. It's a well-designed, fun coaster, but it has most definitely seen better days, and it needs to go. With Prowler filling its spot and doing it better in every conceivable way, I think WoF's clientele will not be disappointed if it is replaced.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

^ I agree. I think that would be perfect for WOF. I wouldnt say it is too far fetched to be a possibility either. I dont know how true the rumor is, but I have heard that Leviathan was slated for WOF before the decision to put it in Canada's Wonderland. So, we very possibly could see a Giga in our park sometime in the future.

If it were to be torn down, I'd prefer to see an RMC take its place. But at the same time, this is Cedar Fair. For some reason they have not done anything with RMC and it doesnt make sense.

Maybe because of their limited experience. Let's remember, the products that RMC have put out are awesome. However, Rob Decker and his team are going to watch them to see how they hold up for at least a few years. Cedar Fair invests for the long haul and they take their investments pretty darn seriously.

^^It seems almost every single Cedar Fair park without a giga has claimed that Leviathan was originally meant for them, yet Canada's Wonderland already confirmed that it was their idea to build a B&M giga. And even though many people don't believe that, it makes sense since it was obviously custom designed for CW, and if a $26 million dollar B&M was meant for another park but then moved to CW, they could have chose any B&M design, but they decided to go with a giga. Having said that, a B&M giga would definitely help Worlds of Fun, but I think a more realistic guess for the future would be something launched, like Powder Keg.

The chances of WoF ever getting a giga coaster are slim to none. The park is far too small to receive a giga coaster, Cedar Fair won't invest a capital investment of that size into a park that small in the chain. WoF can still get some amazing rides, but I highly doubt you'll ever see a giga coaster at any of Cedar Fair's smaller parks. (WoF, Valleyfair, Michigan's Adventure, Dorney Park and Great America)

^ and ^^ I'm sure there were people saying that when Hyper Coasters were rare, but WOF got one. I still believe a Giga coming to WOF has a fair chance. I'm not saying it will happen, I'm just saying there is a good chance. It would be a distant future project if it were to happen. I'm expecting a Launched Coaster, and a Wing Coaster first.

I would say in 10-20 years, it could be possible. That is a pretty long way out though, and it's also a possibility that in 10-20 years Worlds of Fun could no longer be part of Cedar Fair. I have to think that the first 300 foot coaster in this part of the country could attract a large number of people though. I still think that a launched or looping steel coaster would be ideal for their next coaster.

I have this fear that they'll get a Euro-Fighter. Maybe I'm spoiled, but I'm legitimately scared.

The chances of WoF ever getting a giga coaster are slim to none. The park is far too small to receive a giga coaster, Cedar Fair won't invest a capital investment of that size into a park that small in the chain. WoF can still get some amazing rides, but I highly doubt you'll ever see a giga coaster at any of Cedar Fair's smaller parks. (WoF, Valleyfair, Michigan's Adventure, Dorney Park and Great America)

This argument makes no sense to me. All those parks you've mentioned besides Great America have received huge rides in the past from Cedar Fair.

WOF got Mamba, at the time one of the largest steel coasters in the world.

MIA got Shivering Timbers, one of the most massive wooden coasters in the world.

ValleyFair got WIld Thing, at the time one of the largest steel coasters in the world.

Dorney got Steel Force, at the time one of the largest steel coasters in the world.

Dorney got Hercules in the 80s, and a 150 foot wooden coaster drop at the time was insane.

I just don't get why any of these parks aren't a candidate for another huge coaster, such as a giga.

Say what you want about Cedar Fair, but they certainly give just about every major park in their chain a massive coaster every once in a while, however big or small the park may be.

And to say KD is a "bigger" park or somehow more worthy of a giga than any other in the chain doesn't make any sense to me. Richmond has just over 200,000 people. KD is a regional park just like any other Cedar Fair park besides maybe CP. They plunked a giga in their, and I could imagine them installing one just about anywhere else.

If anything their giga installations have been pretty random over the past few years! CP having a record breaker in 2000 makes since, but I don't think anyone saw Intimidator coming to KD more than a year before it arrived. And CW just had gotten a very similar coaster 4 years before Leviathan!

This argument makes no sense to me. All those parks you've mentioned besides Great America have received huge rides in the past from Cedar Fair.

I understand your point, but for instance all of the additions you mention rides installed before 2000 with a very different leadership team for Cedar Fair and without all of the former Paramount Parks acquired.

For instance, Shivering Timbers was built before Cedar Fair even bought Michigan's Adventure. The same goes for Hercules at Dorney, it was built before Cedar Fair took over the park. Dorney, Valleyfair, and WoF all got a package deal with the Morgan hyper coasters and were a much bigger part of the Cedar Fair chain before the Paramount parks were bought. You can tell by the additions to the park since 2007 what parks are receiving the big ticket rides. For instance Kings Dominion, Cedar Point, Kings Island, Carowinds, and Canadas Wonderland have all received 20million dollar plus rides since they were acquired because those are the top visited parks. Knott's might not be included but it is, I believe at least the highest attended park in the chain. I mean WoF did receive Patriot which is a larger investment, but that was before the Paramount parks were acquired. But for a park to support a giga coaster of that size when the park doesn't hit a million visitors a year (according to 2011) is pretty unrealistic in my opinion.

Bottom line is that they could always get one, but chances are we won't see it because an investment of that size in the Cedar Fair chain could be much better spent at another park business wise. And if they ever did, it would probably be a long ways off if they are still part of the chain.

But I mean this report shows the distribution pretty well : http://cf.wddnsweb2.wddonline.net/_upload/pressreleases/final%20funforward%20presentation%20-%20with%20ebitda%20reconciliation.pdf

WOF got Mamba, at the time one of the largest steel coasters in the world.

MIA got Shivering Timbers, one of the most massive wooden coasters in the world.

ValleyFair got WIld Thing, at the time one of the largest steel coasters in the world.

Dorney got Steel Force, at the time one of the largest steel coasters in the world.

Dorney got Hercules in the 80s, and a 150 foot wooden coaster drop at the time was insane.

I just don't get why any of these parks aren't a candidate for another huge coaster, such as a giga.

Say what you want about Cedar Fair, but they certainly give just about every major park in their chain a massive coaster every once in a while, however big or small the park may be.

And to say KD is a "bigger" park or somehow more worthy of a giga than any other in the chain doesn't make any sense to me. Richmond has just over 200,000 people. KD is a regional park just like any other Cedar Fair park besides maybe CP. They plunked a giga in their, and I could imagine them installing one just about anywhere else.

If anything their giga installations have been pretty random over the past few years! CP having a record breaker in 2000 makes since, but I don't think anyone saw Intimidator coming to KD more than a year before it arrived. And CW just had gotten a very similar coaster 4 years before Leviathan!

I understand your position and can sympathize. Having said this, using the past example of the addition of the Morgan Hypers to WoF, Valleyfair, and Michigan Adventure is quite a different from making the suggestion of adding a Giga for a number of reasons:

1. The Morgan price tag vs. Intamin/B&M price tag: The Morgan Hypers are some of the least expensive hypers ever made with the Mamba & Steel Force costing $10mil ($14,588,722.74 & $14,364,969.33 in modern money)to build and the Wild Thing costing $14mil ($20,892,836.20 in modern money) to build despite being some of the longest steel coasters ever built. In comparison, B&M's hypers-Giga cost range from $20 mil-26 mil, Intamin seems to be around $25 million. What you are talking about is investing twice as much as they did before hand on parks that struggle to get 1 million visitors a year. Being that Mamba didn't duplicate for Cedar Point what Magnum XL-200 did, it would make sense that they would be reluctant. In fact their lowest attendance record happened a few years after the addition of the Mamba though that was due to removing some popular attractions without immediate replacements, still the point stands that this and the other Morgan Hypers didn't exactly make these the next destination park as they would need a lot more than one coaster to pull this off.

2. The Mamba is already the largest completed track rollercoaster for Missouri and still ranks as one of the tallest for the region. Adding a giga on top of a hyper, is doubling down on an area that the park isn't lacking when it is lacking in other areas more flats, fixing existing attractions (Timber Wolf), filling in gaps in attraction offerings (modern Mine Train type coaster), and adding something unique. Don't get me wrong, I would love to have a Giga in the local area, but that isn't what the park needs the most. When I attend WoF, I go to ride the Mamba, Patriot, & Prowler. The Timber Wolf has never impressed me as it comes off as slow and weak, the Spinning Dragons are not for me (I don't like spinning coasters), and Boomerang, well...I've ranted enough about how I feel about it...I like some of the old school flats, but the park needs more to do especially now that SDC finally has a balanced line up of top notch coasters.

3. There are awesome coasters that would make the park stand out for less cost. The Full Throttle only cost around $6 million and a coaster like it would provide the park with a launched coaster offering to compete against Mr. Freeze and Powder Keg. Assuming that the price hasn't increased too drastically, one of the next gen S&S free fly could really stand out. This would prevent them from putting all their resources in one area and instead allow a wider investment for further park improvements. Heck, even a Driving Coaster would be a better fit. Even though it would be a little more expensive than the Mamba, it would be more affordable than a Giga and offer a different experience than anything in the local area.

Concerning the parks that did get the Gigas, while I don't quite understand why KD got a Giga and KI didn't, the fact is the attendance for these parks are around 2-3 times higher than WoF. While I agree that CF should invest more into WoF, VF, and MA, they need to focus on smaller attractions as that is what is holding them back, not so much lacking a giga.

The thing about the three parks that have been given gigacoasters is that their lineup included more than 10 other coasters of various types. Worlds of Fun really needs more than just 7 roller coasters to be in the running for a giga installation. Let's get rides to replace Orient Express' and Zambezi Zinger's loss in the park before we make the leap to a giga. A non-spinning family coaster along the lines of Verbolten and a looper from B&M or Intamin are higher on my priority list to fill out WOF's coaster offerings before a giga.