TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Worlds of Fun (WOF) Discussion Thread

H A P P Y 4 0 T H A N N I V E R S A R Y W O R L D S O F F U N!

May 26, 1973 - May 26, 2013

Went to the media day for the new slide complex at the park today. The new slides are a lot of fun. The three Predators Plunge (the Aqua-Launch) slides are great in that the stairs come up in front versus the back so you get to see and hear prior riders, which according to the park is the first time this has been done. It freaked a lot of people out and gives you something to occupy the last 5 or so minutes of waiting. It was my first time on one of the Aqua-Launch trap door capsule slides. Not as scary as they look, but very fun. The new tube slides are great, Sharks Revenge with two with drops - one a large steep drop and the other a smaller followed by a larger drop at the end give some great air! The Constrictor was great, fairly long ride, with dark and light moments and some decent G forces. And the refurbished Diamond Head triple slides (the original 3 body slides from 1982) are smooth, fast and as crazy as opening year with the re-glassing of them. They were walk on all day. As someone said, they don't make slides like that any more, and its as close as you can come to being in a car wreck without getting seriously injured. Maybe they should rename Diamond Head, Crashem Bashem instead of the kiddie bumper cars being called that.

The new slide complex has three almost straight ques at the bottom, one for the three tube slides to the left (Shark's Revenge and Constrictor), one for the 3 Aqua-Launcher slides to the right (Predators Plunge) with the Fast Lane access in the center. An attendant holds all three lines just before the stairs and lets a group go from each que every so often, which avoids a ton of people standing on the stairs. It seemed to work out pretty well, once you get to the first platform for the 3 tube slides there is hardly any wait, and about a 5 - 10 minute wait for the 3 Aqua-Launchers. Sorry about not taking pics. Everything was in the locker.

Overall the Oceans of Fun side has never looked better with all the renovations. There isn't a building that wasn't repainted and a ton of new concrete, new chairs, loungers and landscaping and all new signage throughout. Looks spiffy. I love the new Typhoon logo (the dual speed slide with a triple drop).

I'm going back tomorrow to do just Worlds and will get some pics for you all.

I normally would post this in my model coaster thread, but I recently made a new improved Zambezi Zinger working model coaster, and since it originally opened on this day 40 years ago and lives on in South America as Broca, I didn't think it would be a problem to post this one in the WOF main discussion thread in celebration of this milestone. Enjoy. And definitely check out Oceans and Worlds of Fun this year!

• 2 weeks later...
Took my first trip to Worlds of Fun this Saturday & Sunday. Had a wonderful time.

After reading lukewarm reviews on Mamba I was expecting the worst. I was very pleasantly surprised that, on my first ride Saturday night, the mid-course breaks didn't engage at all and it flew through the bunny hills back to the station! To ride it in that condition was a great ride... No, not Magnum XL quality of course, but still a great ride. On Sunday morning, however, the trims engaged so much that I half-wondered if we would make to back to the station. There was no airtime at all on the second half of the ride. Sadly, it seems that most people experience that version of Mamba and write reviews on it. Why can't they get the mid-course breaks right all the time and keep the train moving quickly back to the station?

Patriot was a wonderful B&M invert. I agree completely with other reviews that the zero-G roll is perfection. Also really loved the floater air toward the Ferris wheel. Smooth as day. Does anyone know of any other B&M coasters with a dual colored paint job like Patriot? I was very impressed but it seems like it would be much more difficult to do. The paint job was terrific.

Prowler was the ride I was looking forward to the most. My first ride was last row, in the dark at 9pm on Saturday. Prowler did not disappoint! Kudos to CF for building something new and different that is so exciting. We ended up riding 15 times from pretty much every row and there was always something new to enjoy!

Cyclone Sams was closed both days. I had read from other trip reports that this is not to be missed.... Looking forward to trying it on a future visit.

Summary: Worlds of Fun was a great, albeit small park. With admission now including Oceans of Fun, it's still a great value. If they could get one more serious coaster they would really be doing well, I would think.

Just wanted to say that Cyclone Sams's is an insane ride (at least when I rode it) despite being a carnie ride in a barn.

Took my first trip to Worlds of Fun this Saturday & Sunday. Had a wonderful time.

After reading lukewarm reviews on Mamba I was expecting the worst. I was very pleasantly surprised that, on my first ride Saturday night, the mid-course breaks didn't engage at all and it flew through the bunny hills back to the station! To ride it in that condition was a great ride... No, not Magnum XL quality of course, but still a great ride. On Sunday morning, however, the trims engaged so much that I half-wondered if we would make to back to the station. There was no airtime at all on the second half of the ride. Sadly, it seems that most people experience that version of Mamba and write reviews on it. Why can't they get the mid-course breaks right all the time and keep the train moving quickly back to the station?

Patriot was a wonderful B&M invert. I agree completely with other reviews that the zero-G roll is perfection. Also really loved the floater air toward the Ferris wheel. Smooth as day. Does anyone know of any other B&M coasters with a dual colored paint job like Patriot? I was very impressed but it seems like it would be much more difficult to do. The paint job was terrific.

Prowler was the ride I was looking forward to the most. My first ride was last row, in the dark at 9pm on Saturday. Prowler did not disappoint! Kudos to CF for building something new and different that is so exciting. We ended up riding 15 times from pretty much every row and there was always something new to enjoy!

Cyclone Sams was closed both days. I had read from other trip reports that this is not to be missed.... Looking forward to trying it on a future visit.

Summary: Worlds of Fun was a great, albeit small park. With admission now including Oceans of Fun, it's still a great value. If they could get one more serious coaster they would really be doing well, I would think.

Just wanted to say that Cyclone Sams's is an insane ride (at least when I rode it) despite being a carnie ride in a barn.

Had my first visit to WoF on Monday. Can't say I agree with soundn8 on Patriot (I thought it was tame and boring), but GigaG is absolutely right about Cyclone Sam's. Best ride in the park bar none!

Photo TR coming soon!

I went to the park today, and had a great time! In the morning, every coaster was running only one train, with average lines, but later in the afternoon, Patriot, Prowler, and Mamba were all running two trains, with minimal waits. Patriot was running great! I don't find it as forceless as some say it is. It's definitely not the most forceful invert, but the forces it does offer are pretty good.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Well my WOF trip that was scheduled for the 19th is off due to finances. Really sucks because I have not been to WOF since 2006

That's a bummer!

On another note, has anybody heard anything or seen anything signifying something new for next year? We're getting close to that time where you start seeing markers and clearings and all that.

I'm probably not gonna buy a pass next year if nothing new comes around. I've been bored out of my mind this year at the park already, so what's the point of going if there is nothing new to do next year. Please don't let us down..

Well actually worlds of fun is removing thunderhawk. Something makes me think that the are between timberwolf, patriot and the highway might soon be used for something big. I'm just speculating thought. The only thing I can confirm is thunderhawk being removed

Worlds of Fun really does have great flat rides. Maybe it's Cyclone Sams that pulls it all together, so Thunderhawk leaving may not be a huge loss. I would miss Thunderhawk and, while I don't necessarily believe you, it would be sort of funny because Omegatron[(s?) an almost fair-like, double looping ship) was in the same place and was removed probably 5 years before Thunderhawk took its place. That also shows that if it was removed, it could be some time before anything is put in its place.

I would love to see another flat ride at Worlds of Fun, but I personally do not want a Windseeker. You may not see a lot of Giant Frisbees going in to parks these days, but that is still easily on my wish list for the park. As for a new coaster...the lack of rumors or hype makes me doubt anything in that department is happening for next year - but I'll always keep my fingers crossed for just about anything Intamin.

*After actually reading the posts on the previous page, I am glad to hear Cyclone Sam's getting some love. Another indoor/themed flat ride like that which could grasp the same level of insanity, like a Booster or Top Scan, would be very welcome.

I did not know Thunderhawk was being removed, but honestly its no loss to me. I just hope we get something nice for 2014. I hate how our park is so abandoned by Cedar Fair. We are certainly due for a new coaster, but I agree that that is not going to happen at least until 2015, if not longer. I certainly prefer Cedar Fair over Six Flags Corp, but seriously stop abandoning your smaller market parks! Anyway, thats my rant.

Thunderhawk has been nothing but trouble the last 2+ years, I imagine they are tired of sinking money into it and would rather put that money into a new flat ride. If anything, bring back a himalaya, but honestly that entire area is dead from the entrance of the back breaker to thunderhawk. Lots of potential there.

Hey guys. Long time no posts. Been extremely busy.

So something kind of exciting to let you all know about if you hadn't heard yet. This weekend is Coaster Mayhem and I will be bringing my working model coasters of all the past coasters at the park (Silly Serpent, Schusboomer, Zambezi Zinger, EXT and the Orient Express.)

They will be a part of the parks special exhibit, "40 Years! The History of Worlds of Fun". In addition to the models there will be all sorts of cool artifacts, including parts from past attractions (like Orient Express and Zinger), old park maps, tons of other stuff and a couple of videos, including one about the first five coasters at WOF.

It will coincide with Coaster Mayhem weekend and will be in the Tivoli Hall Theater Lobby Sat. Aug. 10 and Sun. Aug. 11th from 10:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. each day. Those attending Coaster Mayhem will get a sneak peak at 10 a.m. Several of the volunteers staffing the exhibit (self included) will be wearing reproduction WOF costumes from the 1980's.

You don't have to participate in Mayhem to see the exhibit either day, but you do have to have a paid park admission or season pass to be able to see the exhibit. Hope to see some of you there. I will be doing a video walk through tour and will post it next week for those who live far far way or who won't be able to make it this weekend. Peace!

I know I am a major dork, but in the q&a with the new director of maintenence I don't think Thunder hawk is going anywhere for a while. They just sunk a bunch of money on motor rebuilds, breaks, and electrical work. It seems to have started running quote well.

He also was talking about some major work on Timber wolf. They are strong pays off the track down to the ledgers and rebuilding with somr re-profilong.

Hinted at some additional capitol along with major work on Viking Voyager as well.

Even if they don't get something big I am glad they are fixing some of the stuff that's broke.

According to Screamscape there is a rumor that WOF could recieve Knott's Berry Farm's Windseeker! I sincerely hope this rumor does not come true! I would rather see no new addition for the park in 2014 than to recieve ANY form of a Windseeker! The ride experience is completely lackluster, and they are not reliable in the least! Besides, SFStL has a Sky Screamer, which is a much better version of the ride anyway, and that in not that far away from WOF.