TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Worlds of Fun (WOF) Discussion Thread

Yes, but with the new amazing technology known as animation, we can pretty much "ride" the coaster before it is even built, knowing pretty much what to expect. Its not like the Arrow coasters of yesteryear that were designed using coat hangers and you knew nothing about it until it actually opened.

As said before the coaster enthusiast world really is being cynical about this ride. Yes I understand everyones point about we are going to spend more money to go there, and we are more jaded, but maybe we should try keeping an open mind about the coaster since it HASN'T BEEN BUILT YET! You are just setting yourself up for failure, maybe that "downtime" everyone is gossiping about will be a healthy dose of airtime, or surprising positive g's. Maybe that "to high" zero g roll will actually be strong........ My love for Cedar Fair is hit and miss, but damn Silver Bullet is not that bad, it doesn't have that great wow factor but it has 3 very good things going for it that 90% of all other coasters don't. 1. Very Smooth, 2. Very Reliable and 3. very reridable. If you go to WOF convinced the ride is going to suck, it will probably suck.

As said before the coaster enthusiast world really is being cynical about this ride. Yes I understand everyones point about we are going to spend more money to go there, and we are more jaded, but maybe we should try keeping an open mind about the coaster since it HASN'T BEEN BUILT YET! You are just setting yourself up for failure, maybe that "downtime" everyone is gossiping about will be a healthy dose of airtime, or surprising positive g's. Maybe that "to high" zero g roll will actually be strong........

The problem I have with this logic is IT HAS BEEN BUILT, at least in computer animation format. Looking at the frontseat POV, as well as the other various angles shown, you can pretty much get the general idea for how the ride will be. There won't be any healthy doses of airtime, the only moments there will be are in the zero-G roll (if you call that airtime) and the final hop into the brakes. There is no camelback hump, straight drop, or any other factors that will produce "surprise" negative G forces, unless Kansas City is the epicenter for some unknown natural occurance in which gravitational forces are different.

With the zero-g roll being that high and spread out, it will not be strong simply because of the speed at which it will be at during that moment on the ride (unless, the gravity is different there or they add boosters after the vertical loop or something).

No one on this entire thread thus far has said that the ride is going to suck. The comments I read are that the ride looks boring, its pretty much what everyone expected from CF, it doesn't look like its that necessary for me to rush out to WOF next season, looks like Talon, etc. No where did I see anyone say "this ride will surely suck, I am going to go to Sucky Worlds of Suck and prove beyond a sucking of a doubt that this ride surely sucks more suck than the last suck that ever sucked."

And how is anyone setting themselves up for "failure"? Is my coaster card, credibility, and Golden Ticket survey entry going to be taken away from me because I say "this looks like it resembles Talon" when really it acts more like Alpengeist? Or will I just drop to page 197 in the "Who's Who Among Coaster Enthusiasts" journal that is published every year? :?

My love for Cedar Fair is hit and miss, but damn Silver Bullet is not that bad, it doesn't have that great wow factor but it has 3 very good things going for it that 90% of all other coasters don't. 1. Very Smooth, 2. Very Reliable and 3. very reridable.

Silver Bullet is not that bad, if you look at only those 3 things that "90% of all other coasters don't" that you look at. Of course, of the 508 different coasters that I've been on, I believe there are only 5 coasters that were not working on my first visit; Batman and Robin: The Chiller opening year, Superman: ROS-SFA (chain break) Deja Vu SFOG, and Kingda Ka. Seems like the reliability issue is skewed, and none of those "unreliables" were old tried and true technology. As for rerideable, lots of things are rerideable (not that you can actually reride anything at CF without going around and around and around, not to mention the awful operations at Knotts with those darn microphones). Tea cups are rerideable, if I don't want to spin, I don't have to. But sometimes I don't want a nice, relaxing, smooth ballet; sometimes I want to go to a rock concert and hang out in the mosh pit. Sometimes I want both. The majority of those coasters with that duality end up in my top rankings, such as Phoenix, Colossos, Expedition GeForce, Kumba, Nemesis, Dueling Dragons, and Shockwave at SFOT. If I always wanted smooth and force-lacking, I'd just drive in my car at 40mph all the time.

Rides like Silver Bullet, Hydra, and Patriot are exactly what Cedar Faire asked for, a nice ride with mild thrills set for the enjoyment of the General Public. While we're all glad there is another coaster being added to the parks and we'll pay our respects and ride them pretty much on every visit once or twice (if there is no line), we're not going to be spending our entire summer riding these things 10 hours a day, 7 days a week. If you don't believe that rides like this don't spark that much interest in coaster enthusiasts, go there during an ERT session where these coasters are opened to ERT sessions at the same time as Ghostrider, Steel Force, and Mamba. At first they may have a little bit of a line (just because many haven't ridden them yet) but after 30 minutes or so, everyone will be over at the other coaster.

These rides weren't made for extreme riders because CF doesn't want to "push the envelope" at these parks with these rides. These are set up to be the next step before you attempt the Top Thrill Dragsters and Xcelerators. You're finally 54 inches and Spinning Dragons just doesn't thrill you anymore, but you're thinking you're too scared to go on Mamba. That big inverted steel thing looks menacing, let me try that. Ok it wasn't bad at all, now let me try Mamba. Bingo, that's what its there for, to psyche people up and get people to actually return to the park next season. And for the next 10 years it will run reliably and require little maintenance, just like a Volkswagon. But for those of us that want a major thrill and excitement, a Ferrari it is not, and never was intended to be.

Personally, I'm a bit excited about this coaster. This is just the kind of coaster the WoF has needed. It doesn't strike me as being the best invert ever built but I think it's going to be a pretty solid ride. 150ft is a good solid number and the entire first half of the ride looks pretty decent. I hope to hit this bad boy up when I make my way to Kansas City next year for the Indycar race.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow! They are really getting a head start. I figured the footers would be poured, but already putting up supports...wow!

When Raptor was constructed, the first supports didn't go up until late October. Of course they also had to remove the Mill Race.

Wally "Iwonder if it's going to be a bad winter?" Weiss

• 3 months later...

Well today they finally "CROWNED" Patriots. It's finally done

http://www.worldsoffun.com/public/inside_park/rides/roller_coasters/patriot/constructionjournal.cfm

(Courtesy of WoF.com)

http://www.midwestinfoguide.com/worlds/patriot/011406/

(Courtesy of Dustijin Hollon of MiG.com)

This ride looks a whole hell of alot betta than in the 3D animations.

Yeah, I find it slightly humorous and sad, at the same time, that nobody seems to really care about this project. After years of rumors and hopes, it finally happens but nobody pays attention. Sure, it has some similarities to Talon, and B&M hasn't been building a great deal of stellar rides in the last year or two, but this thing still looks pretty solid. I hope it turns out to be a really good ride.

I can tell you my reasons on why I think this project has gotten a lack of attention:

1. Cedar Fair hasn't been known for building really "intense" B&M rides lately.

2. Talon, Silver Bullet, and Hydra all come to mind.

3. This is pretty much a clone of Talon (the more I look at it, to me the more it looks like a *slightly* modified version of Talon)

4. Talon wasn't the most mind-blowing ride (pretty much at the bottom of my inverter list)

5. WoF isn't known for amazing rides. (Mamba, Timber Wolf, Boomerang....etc....)

Let's hope this ride breaks all those patterns, and I hope it does, but honestly, I'm not holding my breath.

--Robb

There's nothing wrong with Mamba. The problem with it though is that it needs to stop being trimmed so heavy. It got better this year especially in cooler weather and at night time. It ran good under those conditions and I can understand Timber-Wolf. In fact Timberwolf is supposed to be getting retracked for this season.

Yea, and I thought Talon rode better than Raptor when I was there this year as well. Maybe Im just far too used to Raptor and something different was in the cards, but I had just ridden BTR the day before and found more than a couple spots on Talon to reach the magniture of BTR.

Patriot has alot of uniquness. The loop is a bit round for B&M and it just looks different - especially that zero g.

Oh and to whomever said its on flat land... HA! Have you looked at any of the photos? Theres a pretty good undjulation in the land. Ive already tried recreating it in NL and its going to take some doing to figure out all the heights and drops for each element since the land drops off pretty nicely.

Heck the loops exit was tightened because of the land. Come on Viking, you should know better

Yeah I know its not on a flat piece of land, but compared to many other coasters the location isnt that interesting.

Plus, it depends where you come from. There are regions where anything below 300m (~1000ft) is just another "hill". And what's "10-20 meters" (~30-60ft.) then?

redunzelizer, waiting for them Norwegians to build the ultimate "Fjord Dive Coaster"!

Yeah I know its not on a flat piece of land, but compared to many other coasters the location isnt that interesting.

Plus, it depends where you come from. There are regions where anything below 300m (~1000ft) is just another "hill". And what's "10-20 meters" (~30-60ft.) then?

redunzelizer, waiting for them Norwegians to build the ultimate "Fjord Dive Coaster"!

They shoud build a B&M Dive machine off this cliff http://www.norphoto.com/r/nor3499.php