TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Worlds of Fun (WOF) Discussion Thread

BUMP.

I went to Worlds of Fun on Sunday evening with a couple of my friends. When we were riding Prowler at night, on the turnaround I saw some parts for something that sort of looked like B&M track in the back parking lot. Since it was dark and the ride was fast, I couldn't see a lot, but I could still make out some interesting things.

It'd be amazing to get another B&M, but it would be better to get an Intamin... for certain reasons... . I guess we'll have to find out around the beginning of September...

^VERY interesting. I was at the park this last weekend but didn't pay attention to that area. I'll have to keep my eyes open next time.

Another B&M would be a great addition to the park. I've been wondering what they would have in store for the park's 40th birthday in 2012. I know it's not a B&M trend right now, but a sit-down or floorless looper would be a good fit IMO. I think we need something to replace the void left by Orient Express.

This, and the Windseeker rumors should make for an interesting off season for WOF!

^VERY interesting. I was at the park this last weekend but didn't pay attention to that area. I'll have to keep my eyes open next time.

Another B&M would be a great addition to the park. I've been wondering what they would have in store for the park's 40th birthday in 2012. I know it's not a B&M trend right now, but a sit-down or floorless looper would be a good fit IMO. I think we need something to replace the void left by Orient Express.

This, and the Windseeker rumors should make for an interesting off season for WOF!

Aren't ya'll expected to get a windseeker along with carowinds & KD? I could be wrong but maybe we'll see new coasters in the CF chain & no flats but time will tell.

• 2 weeks later...

Looking for former WOF Ambassadors!

So as you may be aware, Project 31 is going to open at Union Station on October 15th as a permanent exhibit, "Screams of the Past". We are going to have a Gala Grand Opening event to raise money for a well known Children's Charity: Give Kids the World. The event will be "Little Coasters for Kids" on Saturday, October 15, 2011 from 6 - 10 p.m. and 100 percent of the funds from admission tickets, raffle tickets and auction items (including my latest model, Blue Blaze) will be donated to Give Kids the World.

We have a surprise that we are going to try and pull off at the opening. Are you a former park ambassador? Want to be in on the surprise? (it's pretty cool, actually). Any ambassadors will do, but I'd really like to include ride operations ambassadors who worked on any of the Project 31 coasters: Schussboomer, Zambezi Zinger, Funicular/Silly Serpent, Screamroller/EXT and the Orient Express.

If you participate in the surprise, you'll be able to attend the event for free. There will be snacky type food from Pierpont's Union Station, soda and a CASH bar (note you'll be buying your own alcohol!). Lot's of other cool stuff that night too, which I'll announce hopefully in the next few weeks. We will need to meet Friday October 14th at from 7 - 8 p.m. at Union Station to go over the surprise.

If you'd like to participate, and are available on those dates and times, please PM me with your name, the season(s) your worked at the park, position (department and location) and email information. Also if you have smaller children (say 5 to 10 ish, no one under 5, please) they can participate as well. I'll let you in on what it is when you contact me. Look forward to hearing from you! Peace. KCForce

Worlds of Fun has sent us a press release regarding their upcoming Guinness World Record-breaking attempt.

Join Harvesters Community Food Network, BRR Architecture, Associated Wholesale Grocers, and Worlds of Fun as we attempt to break the Guinness World Record for the largest canned food pyramid—an effort to promote the fight against hunger.

In August, Worlds of Fun and Harvesters have teamed up for “Cans for Coasters,” a campaign providing Worlds of Fun guests with a great discount on park admission with the donation of two canned goods. For more information, please click here!

Saturday, August 27, we'll attempt to break the official Guinness World Record for the largest canned food pyramid, which is currently 15,000 cans, at the Worlds of Fun front gate. Volunteers from BRR Architecture & Harvesters plan to use over 17,500 cans to build a 15-foot-tall structure, using cans collected at Worlds of Fun and donated from Associated Wholesale Grocers (Country Mart and Best Choice Food brands).

BUMP.

I went to Worlds of Fun on Sunday evening with a couple of my friends. When we were riding Prowler at night, on the turnaround I saw some parts for something that sort of looked like B&M track in the back parking lot. Since it was dark and the ride was fast, I couldn't see a lot, but I could still make out some interesting things.

It'd be amazing to get another B&M, but it would be better to get an Intamin... for certain reasons... . I guess we'll have to find out around the beginning of September...

Has somebody been able to get confirmation/pics on this? If true it sounds like B&M is going to have a good year

BUMP.

Has somebody been able to get confirmation/pics on this? If true it sounds like B&M is going to have a good year

I've ridden Prowler about 25 times in the past 2 days, and I haven't seen anything back there. I'm new to this park, and the turn around is so fast, but as far as I can determine nothing is back there or well hidden. I did see some truck storage containers back there, and I'm not sure if that's normal. Something maybe in there. Sorry I couldn't be more definitive. I've definitely enjoyed Prowler.

We were there last night for the final stop of a midwest swing. Prowler rips around the return. It isn't possible to get a good look, but I'm confident there was no B&M track back there. Just a storage box and a pile of lumber or iron, most likely Haunt crap.

Prowler is a fantastic ride!

Edited by PAL

Is there a Haunt in the wooded area near Boomerang? Couldn't tell what was going on in there.

If it is, that is awesome!

Yes there is. Its Cornstalkers and the que starts at the Fury of the Nile entrance. Theres also another haunt right underneath the Boomerang hills. That one is the Doll Factory. Anymore WoF haunt questions? I am a bit of an expert when it comes to questions like these

It was a bit confusing at Coaster Mayhem, regarding how the Clown and Steampunk Scarezones are going to interact, could you clue me in please.

The steampunk zone you are referring to will be London of Terror. It will be replacing Dominion of Doom. From what I have been given the entrance will start over by the Detonator and is suppose to be the longest walk through haunt at WoF. As for the clowns and steampunk interacting I have no clue what that could be. They will be a good distance away from each other. Unless you meant Outlaws Revenge wich will be just an arms reach away from the new LoT entrance?

• 2 weeks later...

Worlds of Fun has notified us of their latest Guiness World Record achievement!

http://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/news/largest-can-pyramid-built-in-kansas-city/

An engineering firm in Missouri (USA) has stacked its way into the record books by building the world's largest can pyramid.

Local company BRR Architecture Inc were contacted by the Worlds of Fun amusement centre in Kansas City to carry out what was to prove a successful record attempt at the park last month.

Guinness World Records guidelines for the record required the team to build the construction from a minimum of 15,000 cans.

Grocery store Country Mart stepped up to the plate and offered to donate the identical food cans needed. This donation came close to 18,000 canned food items, a remarkable contribution.

To ensure the food was used and did not go to waste, Harvesters- The Community Food Network joined the project to contribute to the record building pyramid and then walk away with a grand donation and contribution for their food warehouse.

Ahead of the attempt, the amusement park, was bustling with excitement. A large area was barricaded off where large pallets holding thousands of canned food items were stacked. The cans were taken out of the plastic wrapping and carried over to the BRR Architecture team, who then strategically placing the cans in a formation.

The group plugged away building the free-standing structure for over 7 hours with only an hour break for lunch.

The eventual base for the pyramid measured 37 x 37 cans with each successive layer subtracting one can. The final construction equaled a grand total of 17, 575 cans, surpassing the minimum requirement for a new record by a huge margin.

Congratulations to Worlds of Fun for this successful record attempt, and a special thank you to BRR Architecture, Inc, Country Mart and Harvesters for their support and hard work.

1631009828_ScreenShot2011-09-15at2_27_34PM.png.fedebfeec757cae69525221233b3b1ee.png

602392498_Tincanpyramid2_500x299.jpg.51dbc406aa84ec9f78a0da8b76a71fe7.jpg

1223475705_Tincanpyramid3_500x299.jpg.d5e69e233cac51debe56fdfe898a865a.jpg

149160388_Tincanpyramid4.jpg.58c6fc2b6135cfbadb32c49181f8a862.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Worlds of Fun has sent us a media advisory about their very different event taking place this month... See for yourself!

Looking for something a little different to cover?

Who: Half Pint Brawlers, as seen on Spike TV, Jackass 3d, MTV, TMZ and more.

What: Hardcore midget wrestling. Something a little different for Haunt, but don’t sell these guys short, this show will not be for the timid.

When: Friday, October 7 – Saturday, October 29. Showtimes are 8:30, 10:00, and 11:30 pm.

Where: Worlds of Fun Amusement Park, Kansas City, Mo.

We were also told that Puppet 'the Psycho Dwarf' will be there as well...

Please tell me someone can go get photos of this event!

Edited by Moose

I kinda wish WOF would spend less time on beer pyramids and midget wrestling and more time on building a new coaster. But that's just me...

Or at least a new quality flat, they've done pretty well for themselves in the coaster department over the past years. Not saying I'd be opposed to one, however.