TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Mark's Postcard Paradise

5 fatalities and decapitations?! Now I'm really intrigued by this postcard and coaster. Unfortunately, there are no pics of Coaster Dips on RCDB that I could find, and it's not ringing a bell with me right now. Looks like I'll have to peruse the coaster books to search for more info unless either of you have some photos you could share with us.

• Replies 972
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...at least five fatalities during it's long run ... including decapitations.

I find it amusing that the Do Not Standup warning is on the "front" of the lead car.

The Glen Echo Guillotine... has a nice ring to it.

Yes, that rider safety warning placement is questionable. Maybe directly related to their number of accidents?

5 fatalities and decapitations?! Now I'm really intrigued by this postcard and coaster. Unfortunately, there are no pics of Coaster Dips on RCDB that I could find, and it's not ringing a bell with me right now. Looks like I'll have to peruse the coaster books to search for more info unless either of you have some photos you could share with us.

I'll look around The Closet for a few pics I have. The ride was a large ravine thriller that featured a number of devious elements including plenty of head-choppers (literally!) and a 100-foot double dip that ended up in the bottom of the gully. It was buried in the trees. If you go to Glen Echo today, you can still find concrete footers and follow the path of the ride if you know the layout.

I'm off to Kings Island tomorrow for Diamondback's media preview but will look for the pics when I return home.

yes Spinnaker was moved to Fiesta Texas. Here is the Six Flags Great Adventure version of the Schwarzkopf ride.

Make sure you check out the look back at Six Flags Great Adventure: The Roaring Rapids years over at Shane's Amusement Attic

690183076_postcardenterpriseb.jpg.a4af56be0f9dfcfe528c5de56b8f618f.jpg

postcardenterprisea.jpg.42f67cd8166d8269a6146dff3f45dd4d.jpg

I can never decide if I like the Schwarzkopf or Huss Enterprise more than the other. if I remember correctly, with the Schwarzkopf version there is more of a bench to straddle and you sit higher off the floor. I also love that slam sound of the Schwarzkopf version when you pull down the lid of the car. Oh well both versions are cool!

^ Shane you just never know what cards you'll find in parks today. I'm still amazed when marquee attractions such as SROS at SFNE and Goliath at SFOG did not have postcards when I visited a few years ago, yet other attractions in those parks did.

it's time to play "GUESS THE POSTCARD"

Here is my version of guess the postcard. Sorry I am not Big Mike so there will be no prizes for the winners. But you will have the satisfaction of knowing that you are a bigger coaster nerd that those that guess wrong.

There are two coasters below... I will give you two hints and then you are on your own. Good Luck, and as always, please control the pet population by have your pet spayed or neutered.

-Shane

457940826_TXGIsnip.jpg.ce2e6a6279a4b778b43c2007638772e3.jpg

Here's your hint: This coaster features 0 inversions.

what did you expect, they are pretty easy

996129494_TXCYsnip.jpg.2e7a3a043b5d6e34cc37da175fddccf8.jpg

Here is your hint: It is not a steel coaster

Another coaster with rider warnings posted on the outside of the train. This area is still a lovely summertime beach destination, with a small amusement area. Would be much lovlier, however, with a classic seaside woodie.

The ride pictured here is most likely the Jack Rabbit, which operated from 1917 to 1946.

orchard1bxs.jpg.5883e830363e9df34a7535fe739dc732.jpg

orchard1xs.jpg.f247460a367cf860b10af9bdc69567d2.jpg

Well that's certainly an obscure coaster...no info on RCDB. In this view it appears to have had somewhat of an exciting figure 8 type layout.

I'm not sure about the upper OOB card, but this link leads to one labeled Jack Rabbit. I believe that is incorrect. That looks more like the PTC/Schmeck Cyclone that operated 1930-48.

It's on page 77. It's pretty convincing.

As for the first card, I've been looking for shots of the Cyclone's rolling stock but have yet to find any. Schmeck used the PTC two-bench trains for most of his twisters and those orange trains look like three-benchers to, so THAT may really be the Jack Rabbit. Anyone have anything to add?