TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Mark's Postcard Paradise

• Replies 972
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Those who guessed Cedar Point are correct. Though the card is postmarked 1941 I would have guessed the photo to have been much earlier. I suppose it still could be, maybe a little earlier. rcdb.com lists eightpast wooden coasters for this park.

cp2bs.jpg.4021bb18ce084c8316114ac11666f19f.jpg

postmark is July 2, 1941

cp2s.jpg.8c08ae0eb32c0749e574ff5e6bf7c1ad.jpg

I have no idea where ^ is, but what the heck is that in the bottom right-hand corner of the postcard?

It "looks" like a swings ride... but in the ocean surf???

Back in the days of sea-side parks, many of them had circle swings in the water. They were people powered, you hung on to them like a trapeze.

Ahhhh, progress.

(But I'm glad I got to AW in the fall of 1992.)

And thanks Mark and Dennis, about the "sea swings" lol. I'm not sure if I ever saw them in any other postcard. Strangely familiar, but I just wasn't sure.

Kewl!

The circle swing in the water reminds me of this playground contraption near me when I was a kid. It consisted of a circular wooden plank/platform suspended on wires about waist high from a central steel pole. You could spin and rock the whole thing as you sat or stood up on it. It was really quite awesome, but I'm sure many a kid's jaw was busted good on it!

OK, here's another. Maybe a little tougher. Again, park is still in operation. I think both buildings pictured are still there, but not the circle swing, of course. In this case, the background topography might be the best clue.

guess2.jpg.c4294a0e26fda576da04ca4a13ec4f81.jpg

restoca...I just noticed it looks like both your Cedar Point and Lake Compounce cards were made by the same company. Also, the same company name appears on cycamps' Riverview and CP Ballroom cards from p.43, so this company must've been one of the major park postcard makers back in the day.

^ You're right, Mark. I noticed the similar numbering system on the lower right of most cards with a white boarder. I'd sure like to see a catalogue of all this company produced related to amusement parks.

Here's another beauty they did. Although it's not identified on the card, I think this must be the Dips coaster, which began operation in 1909 and was designed by Edward Vettel.

westview1b.jpg.aee71adfda82c7a8d33d894cc01ae758.jpg

westview1.jpg.ebd34fc19c3903a54d261aa643516601.jpg

One of my rare Idora cards became part of the discussion over at my Closet. I thought I'd share it here as well. Idora fans will notice the white-painted structure instead of the later, more familiar deep yellow/turquoise color scheme. Though its been gone for 20+ years, I still miss the wonderfully intense and powerful Wildcat.

ip2.jpg.ca84642dc0f4914efaf85921d44bb455.jpg

ip1.jpg.1681381f8752e715fd689b148cbc5ce7.jpg

Here's another old ride that deserved a better fate – The Mountain Park Flyer. I was lucky to ride it many times during its last few seasons. It was always fast, loose and entertaining. The Century Flyers made this classic extra special. I miss it too.

mfler2.jpg.ca75a545bb44efe0df8b5ab699ba516f.jpg

mflyer1.jpg.e23711ed2d6ac2c522ad294886a85ca8.jpg

One of my favorite parks on the US west coast is Bonfa...err Gilroy Gardens. Those Circus Trees are amazing! You can see one of them forming a garden gateway arch in the lower right corner of this card as well as on the back side of the card.

112174315_BonfanteBack_800x527.jpg.df9c12602fc96c4e954365ed8e651bbc.jpg

711018966_BonfanteFront_800x527.jpg.0fe336c8ddd767deea7fea278639c8f7.jpg

That's a sweet card! I've always been intrigued by Glen Echo's Coaster Dips. It was notorious for being a wild ride and suffered at least five fatalities during it's long run ... including decapitations.

I find it amusing that the Do Not Standup warning is on the "front" of the lead car.