TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Theme Park Review's 2008 Asia Tour!

I'm probably (definitely) in the minority here, but I really did not care for Tokyo Disneyland as a park. The rides themselves were mostly top notch, there were only a few I would consider inferior to whatever the best of the US version is (Space and Pirates, and even those were minor flaws).

I sort of felt like the park layout was a little mish mash and didn't feel right, stuff like looking directly at Dumbo and having Mansion in the background was really strange. A lot of Fantasyland and Tomorrowland felt old and stuck in the early 80's, and they need to get rid of Mickey Mouse Revue, which was embarrassingly dated and bad. I only spent one full day at the park and felt like I didn't want or need to park hop back during the rest of my 3 days. Then again, going to Tokyo DisneySea most likey just ruins any other park you'll ever go to.

• Replies 863
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^Robb, (or anyone), what do you think it would cost for airfare, tickets, and say... 4 nights at an on site resort?

This is just REALLY rough, but assume $1500 for airfare, about $400 per night for an on property Disney Resort, and about $250 for a 4-day park hopper. You'll need about $40 per day for food (on the CHEAP) and then whatever extra for "goodies" - what is that....

Realistically, I'd say we spend close to $100 per day between full means, drinks, popcorn, floppy gioza, and other random yummies!

About $3500! Now if you shared that room with someone else that brings the cost down $800 cheaper of course.

So if you and a buddy went you're looking at approx $2700 each.

--Robb "Or for $3500 you can do two weeks in Scandinavia with TPR!" Alvey

^ See, I dunno...we've done the resort four times each with different configurations -

1. On property at a Disney Resort Hotel (Ambassador)

2. On property at a Disney partner hotel

3. Off property at the Shinagawa Prince

4. Off Property at the Shinjuku Washington.

And, while the train ride from the Prince to the hotel is not THAT bad, it was SOOOOO NICE staying on property and NOT having to do that insane long walk between rail lines at Tokyo Station 8 times!

Part of it was just how nice the Ambassador and the rest of the Tokyo Disney hotels are. They are the "DisneySea of hotels"

IMO, if you're going to do the "Tokyo Disney Experience" stay on property, even if you're at a partner hotel like the Hilton, but if you want to save some dough, you'll have just as good of time either way.

--Robb

Even the crappy rooms are ridiculously priced.

Is this a joke?

The rooms are super nice, and easily some of the largest in all of Tokyo. Nicer than a Florida Disney Deluxe Hotel and similarly priced when you take Tokyo prices compared to Orlando prices.

I was just in Tokyo and saw both parks, I stayed at the Tokyo Prince Hotel which is right beside Tokyo Tower...got it for only about $100/night.

I was able to walk about 1/2 a mile to one train station then was able to get to 2 other trains and to the parks, it was very easy and only took about 20-30 mins.

Even the crappy rooms are ridiculously priced.

Sorry Wes! But I have to agree with R&E on this one.

I booked at one of the partner hotels, the Sheraton Grand Tokyo Bay for $153/night, for next month.

I wouldn't consider that too shabby.

JJ

Having stayed both on property and off at Tokyo, I HIGHLY recommend staying at the resort. While the train ride was not super long from where we stayed in Tokyo, making that giant walk both ways in Tokyo Train Station every day for four days was not something I missed this time around. And while I happen to LOVE the Shinagawa Prince hotel, I totally found it far more convenient to stay at the resort. Plus I thought the rooms were very nice, large (easily the biggest hotel room I have ever had in Japan), and the ease of being able to easily get to and from the hotel to the parks cannot be beat.

Like Elissa said, when you compare the prices to other Tokyo hotels, it's not that bad. And the rooms are as nice or nicer than a lot of the rooms I've stayed at when visiting Disney in Orlando. So I'd definitely choose to stay at the resort whenever I go back to Tokyo.

Oh, and for the record, I think TDL destroys all other Disney parks. Except DisneySea, which really cannot be compared to anything else on the planet. It's that good.

dt

I'm dumb, ignore me.

Not.

I thought we were talking about TDL Hotel and Mira Costa only.

You're right about those 2. They're damned expensive!!

But, there are about 6 "partner" hotels around the outer edge road, all connected by the Disney "Methos POV" bus line.

JJ

they need to get rid of Mickey Mouse Revue, which was embarrassingly dated and bad.

It's being replaced with Philharmagic. Not sure when it closes, but it should be any day now.

--Robb

It had not opened when I was there in Feb, they where getting ready to open the new Monster's Inc ride, which should have just gone into soft opening.

As for Hotels I stayed at the Hilton Tokyo Bay for three nights and payed $160 Australian per night, booked six months out, found the lowest price online and than rang Hilton bookings and asked if they could beat it.

Three day Disney pass was around $200.00 Australian

As for souvenirs, apart from a couple of online photos, everything thing else was based around the 25th anniversary and not worth buying.

That video was awesome! And my local tower is offended by you saying it sucks, it is still the second nicest looking ride after Grizzly at DCA. Tokyo Disney Sea is by far the park I want to visit the most, and hopefully a few years down the road, I can go with TPR.