TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Theme Park Review's 2008 Asia Tour!

• Replies 863
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^^^Is that Barry? Did he get really skinny?

I'm not related to Barry but I did lose a few pounds since last year's Japan/Korea TPR trip . Plus, I don't have a video camera filming Robb capture ^'s "happy ending". Anyway, I got to lose a few after all the Chinese food we ate during this trip -- dumplings are yummy!

The closest I got to an happy ending was a certain person that was supposed to be "straight" was trying to play footsie with me on the Beast on last year's trip during ERT, when the train left the station out in the dark.

That wrecked my nerves more than anything.

Terry "Don't start anything you know good and well you can't finish" Weaver

Here's a strange question: is the orientation of the park like Disneyland and Florida's Magic Kingdom? That is, when you walk toward the castle, are you walking north? Tomorrowland is on the east side of the park, and so on? I know Florida's Magic Kingdom is set up that way, but I've wondered that about all of the Disneylands around the world.

Only the US Magic Kingdoms have Main St. going North. DLP is Northwest, TDL is Southeast, and HKDL is West. All of them have Tomorrowland on the right and Adventureland to the left.

I made the image below a while ago. No aerial photo of HKDL was available, but Google Maps shows the dirt landfill, so I overlaid a map of the park on the aerial photo of the dirt. Yes, the park is actually that small!

Thanks for all of the updates guys. I pretty much agree with your opinions on all of the parks except for Beijing Happy Valley. I thought the park was horrible and the theming was cheap and starting to look bad even after two years. IMO Beijing Happy Valley is one of the worst parks I visited in China.

I do agree that HK Disneyland Resort is fantastic and I can't wait to revisit when they have added a couple of "E" tickets. I was so surprised at how much I loved the park and the resort as a whole. The park's surroundings are just unparalleled as compared to the other "Magic Kingdom" style parks.

Thanks again for making me wish I was back in Asia. Being surrounded by "white" people here in the U.S. is getting a little weird after spending so much time there!

^^^ Thank you, ahecht. That's a very nice comparison you put together. I don't think I could have gotten a better answer to my question.

As for both of North America's parks, I don't know it was just coincidence or planned that the parks would be oriented identically (and, as I mentioned, that they're both in Orange County within their state).

Eric

Thanks for all of the updates guys. I pretty much agree with your opinions on all of the parks except for Beijing Happy Valley. I thought the park was horrible and the theming was cheap and starting to look bad even after two years. IMO Beijing Happy Valley is one of the worst parks I visited in China.

I TOTALLY AGREE WITH YOU!!!

I was the only one, but something felt SO wrong with that place. Totally trying to be something amazing, but something was just horribly wrong!

Glad I wasn't the only one as the group was trying to outcast me for my opinion that day!

I was the only one, but something felt SO wrong with that place. Totally trying to be something amazing, but something was just horribly wrong!

I did see a bit of that in the pics. The caption on the following pic said the theming was Disney/Busch quality, but neither of those would paint "rock texture" on steps, they would actually sculpt them:

I did see a bit of that in the pics. The caption on the following pic said the theming was Disney/Busch quality, but neither of those would paint "rock texture" on steps, they would actually sculpt them:

This is the problem. The fake rockwork is everywhere and pretty poorly done. Whenever I get around to finishing my China thread I will post a few pictures of some of the areas. The flying coaster was great though although as was mentioned before with the staggered opening times we only got the opportunity to ride once due to long lines.

I hate to stir the pot of sh*t, but what's wrong with enjoying the park for what it is rather than pointing out the flaws? =P

There are worse things with the Happy Valley in Beijing than it's theming; how about its ride opening times and the attitudes of ride operators?

Considering all the other choices available in China, at least from what we experienced on the trip i thought the two Happy Valleys were pretty fantastic theming wise. Granted the Shenzhen park runs rings around it's Beijing partner.

Would you rather some Nanhu park with its rip off Main Streett?=P

^Believe me I am not just complaining about the feeling and the theming. While the atmosphere was way off, the long lines, single train operations and staggered opening times added to me not having a good time either. I agree that Happy Valley Shenzhen is a much better park. I think that HP Beijing just doesn't have enough rides to be operating them in that way.

There are only a handful of full "American style" theme parks in China and while the theming might be a little more intricate at the Happy Valley parks, IMO Chimelong Paradise runs laps around them. Not only do they have a lot of rides, but the park is a pleasant place to be.

At the end of the day, after having visited around a dozen parks in China, I think that Happy Valley Beijing just isn't a great or pleasant park. Unless they add a lot I wouldn't go back. For what it is, it ain't great! At least that is my opinion.

I didn't even notice the "fake" rockwork, nor does it bother me. Who cares?

All I know is that when walking around the park, it looked like a "world class" park. It just needs a better signature ride and better operations, but there was certainly nothing wrong with the themeing IMO.

I thought that the themeing was a notch below Disney/Universal, but at least on par with all the Busch parks. 100x better than any other parks in the states.

In that picture, I noticed the awesome looking mayan temple themed restaurant, not the painted stairs I was walking on.

A private tour in Hong Kong Disneyland. Must have been awesome... Not for Disney (and their bank account)... but for you guys... I should try to go over there before they start filling it up with awesome rides so I can enjoy it empty.... Even in Disneyland Paris you can't find days like that anymore...

Thank you for the report