TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Hurricane Thread

Homer

While I was at work yesterday, the weather guy was making a map for the newscast today. He had a map that showed Katrina's path and Gustav's path, if the east side is more trouble and it stays on the current path, the big easy could be in trouble, major trouble if it becomes a cat 3 (which iirc is what Katrina was when she hit). There was a story on CBs saying that the levees could only stand up to a Cat 2 storm so good luck down there.

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This does not sound good.

From what I've been hearing, the east side is the worst of a hurricane and from the latest track, New Orleans is in trouble. The storm is projected to gain strength up to a cat. 4 hurricane (I'm thinking it might get to cat. 5 though) when it enters the Gulf of mexico because of the warm water. It will then weaken down to a cat. 3 though and if I remember the old news reports correctly, hurricane Katrina was actually a cat. 3 when it came ashore. But remember, what katrina did was make landfall east of NO and the city didn't didn't get the worst (but it did from it's geographic situation).

Gustav is projected to hit west of NO or head-on. If it stays on it's current track, then unfortunately it may possibly be worse than Katrina.

Hopefully FEMA learned it's lesson the first time around.

I don't want to scare anyone, but after looking back on Katrina, watching the news reports, and used to having an interest in storms, that's my opinion on what might happen.

I think we're getting the feeder bands for Gustav now. It's been raining hard for about 5-10 minutes at a time then stopping. I saw the latest satellite and it's getting big... and it's a cat 4 now. It's now projected that the hurricane will be a cat 5 soon and may make landfall as at least a 4.

It's gonna be a really ugly storm.

I'm also looking out for Tropical Storm Hanna, since it's east of us. I think we'll be getting rain from that or possible hit by that my the end of next week.

Terry

While being in Oregon, sitting quite comfortably away from any sort of hurricane winds, we still are being affected. A bunch of paramedics and firefighters were shipped to NOLA last night, my roommate being one of them. She called me up at work and told me that she had to pay rent early this month, because she wasn't going to be there, she was kinda going to be in a hurricane.

I won't deny that I am worried for her, I read Anderson Cooper's memoirs of Katrina, but I am glad that they are getting help in early for this, just in case.

They need to evacuate the Chocolate City one nut at a time!

Seriously, I'm kinda scared.

-Tatum

I am surprised they are waiting until tomorrow to issue the mandatory evacuation. I hope they can get everyone out in 24 hours, because that is all they might have. Forecasters are reallly thinking it will hit NO.

Now, for a editorial, I am reminded of a saying....fool me once, shame on you....for me twice..won't get fooled again. Wait, that is what the President said, fool me twice shame on me is what I meant to say. But anyway, if New Orleans gets hit, I don't think they should rebuild in the extremely low ground. Level it and make it back into what it was, swampland. If the historic areas are safe, let people live in there, but areas that are prone to flooding, just don't rebuild. Just my opinion.

But if I remember correctly, the storm is going to hit Monday night. So if they evacuate starting tomorrow, they only have 36 hours. Then you are going to have the people who say the storm isn't going to hit, I am staying (hopefully not many though. I hope your parents have plans to get out, a place to go. I have read that people have had to go to Tennessee to find hotel space.

They need to evacuate the Chocolate City one nut at a time!

Seriously, I'm kinda scared.

-Tatum

I'd be scared, too. I can't imagine how terrible the traffic is going to be tomorrow. And.. uh-oh, I feel a rant coming on... oh dear...

[begin rant]

I really want to know what was going through those French settlers' minds when the decided to settle New Orleans. I mean, seriously, you'd think that they would have looked at the topography of the area and realized, "You know, this place looks liable to flood if a nasty storm hits." But of course, like most settlers back then, they didn't even consider it. Then in the 20th century, the city government thought it would be a good idea to drain some of the low-lying swamp around the area so they could expand the city. Unfortunately, removing the water from the soil allowed the land to start subsiding, which has caused these areas to drop a few feet below sea level, and they still continue to drop. Why is it that we humans have a tendency to settle in disaster prone areas and not give a second thought about it, then when a disaster does strike we all ask how this could of happened, even though the answer is staring us in the face? Why do we do things, like drain swampland, without considering all the possible consequences? Is it ignorance? Is it our tendency to make a profit at the expense of safety? Is it because we're overconfident in our technology? What is it!!?

[end rant]

OK, I'm done.

^ Mayor Ray Nagin or somone else, during a T.V. press confrence, said that the evacuation plan will take 3 days. It's impossible to evacuate the city in less than three days.

-Tatum

Well, they better do something, because the storm is hitting (if it hits NO) on Monday!

Ray Nagin screws up again, waiting too long for a mandatory evacuation.

The storm is expected to maintain it's current forward speed because a High-Pressure ridge over the Mid-west to the south is not as strong as expected. This puts eye landfall around 2-4 pm Monday. The awful effects of a hurricane are often times felt well ahead of eye landfall. In Gustav's case, it's Southeast to Northwest direction could put the surge and winds in New Orleans 6-8 hours ahead of landfall on the Central LA coast. They better hope that the storm bends to the West before landfall instead of after landfall.

To all in the path of this monster.

May God bless you, and especially to the 1400 New Orleans Police officers and 2,000 LA National Guard, may God protect you. I would wish no one would be in any city it hits.

MSNBC is sayign that it might/will become a Cat 5 by tomorrow afternoon and probalby be a cat 4/strong cat 3 by the time it makes landfall. I believe Katrina was a cat 3 when it made landfall. Also, it could stay a hurricane through Tuesday.

I had the amazing opportunity to go to Mardi Gras this past February. Although the central part of the city and French Quarter are back to business as usual, you were never far from the reality of what happened there three years ago. On the night before Mardi Gras (Lundi Gras-aka Fat Monday) my friend (who was, um, slightly intoxicated ) decided to head a different direction than our hotel. We ended up going several blocks before I was finally able to make a convincing enough case that we were not going the right way, and got us headed back in the right direction. A couple days later, as we were headed out of town, we passed the area we had walked that night. We were within a block or two of what has become a "tent city" underneath the I-10 bridge. It was shocking to see these fairly nice camping tents, couchs, etc, all lined up and this is where people are and have been living for the past 36 months. Some people even had their children's bicycles chained to the fence like you might do on your front porch. The five of us just sat there, our mouths hanging open.

I hope for the sake of that beautiful, fun city and its residents that this doesn't have the catastrophic effects that some are predicting could happen.

Shari

This seems to have gotten worse. It now seems more than likely that it will got west of NO which would give the city just about the worst of the storm.

We also need to know that some of the levees aren't even finished, which might mean that the city will be in more trouble than it was in 2005. It all comes down to where the storm will be heading and how strong it will be when it makes landfall.

So the city will try to evacuate everyone in 3 days? Well, if they wanted to do that, they should've started yesterday. The Weather Channel said NO might start getting affected by the outer edges of the storm tomorrow night and make landfall on Monday.

map_tropprjpath07_ltst_5nhato_enus_600x405.jpg.ff37c4d1be25d04a3041b4af2d3b5bfa.jpg

I'm not sure if that's the exact location of New Orleans, but it has to be close to it.