TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Stand Up Coasters

Also, as for the person that said that standups aren't as flexible as sit-downs.... Since when does B&M care about flexibility? Their layouts are all practically the same anyway.

By flexibility I mean what kinds of elements the ride can perform. Of course B&M cares about that part of the ride.

Standups can't have as strong lateral Gs as sitdown coasters for instance. They have to think about the comfort of the riders more then they would on a sitdown.

Similar idea with the flyers. They tend to shy away from any sort of element which puts strong outward forces on the riders. Meaning most of the elements flyers perform with the riders on their backs. Like the pretzel loops and inside loops. You don't see outside verticle loops on flyers for instance. Probably because it would be far too uncomfortable on the riders.

There are much less physical limitations on a standard sit down train. Which is partly why sit down hypers/mini-hypers, floorless, dive machines, etc will outlive the gimick offerings.

But again that takes it back to what I said, this shouldnt be a concirn for B&M anyway, seeing as all their layourts are the same anyway. They would just take Chang, Mantis, Riddler or whatever and mix them up.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But again that takes it back to what I said, this shouldnt be a concirn for B&M anyway, seeing as all their layourts are the same anyway. They would just take Chang, Mantis, Riddler or whatever and mix them up.

I would say Riddler is the most different from the other stand ups. Chang and Mantis are pretty similar; and yes they all use the same elements, but stand up are, like Carnage said, limited. I think Shockwave over in Europe tried to change it with Intamin, but apparently it didn't work out that well.

-JZ

Ok, so it doesn't matter to B&M.

But it would matter to the client, and that's what important. The client wants something new and interesting. They don't always want the same old that has been put in over and over again. They want something different that doesn't exist under a different name just down the road.

If no one's interested in buying, then the model drifts away.

Kind of like why no one buys boomerangs except small parks which can get them used.

^I don't think that anyone who's looking for anything praticularly new and innoventive turns to B&M anyway. Except for the recent revival of the vertical drop coaster(which has already managed to start falling into molds and coasters that are pratically copies of each toher) and the new trains on the existing layout of hypers, they're not doing anything new. In fact, untill I saw one tiny difference before the end I was sure that the PKI hyper was a copy of Silver Star.

People go to B&M because they want a quality ride that would appeal to the general public. And I'm pretty sure that stand ups qualify just as much as inverted coasters do. So for me its sitlla mystery why they don't make them anymore.

B&M stand-ups do seem to avoid certain elements, such as zero-G rolls and cobra rolls, am not too sure why...perhaps it's a comfort thing?

I would think that there would be a significant chance of people losing their footing if the inverted elements have as much hang time as zero-g rolls should have. Same for the stand-up water coaster idea floated earlier...having people with questionable footwear choices standing up on a moving, wet surface is not a good idea.

If the restraints touch your crotch, you either have an unusually long torso or you are doing it wrong--like most people who ride these things sitting down.

Stand-up coasters tend to be capacity nightmares because the sheeple are either too stupid to figure out that you actually need to stand up on a stand-up coaster or they are goofing-off/not-paying-attention and the restraints get locked before they are in a proper riding stance. Couple that with the fact that some people have issues with leg pain and you have a coaster that isn't worth the headache for the park.

^ If only everyone was as intelligent as I - there'd be no problem! My first stand-up was Georgia Scorcher and I made SURE I was fully standing and barely noticed the bicycle seat/crotch thing. I thought it was obvious that you STAND on a stand-up coaster, but people next to me seemed to prefer to squat... Needless to say I thought it was a great ride and quite a different sensation from a sitting coaster.

On my first stand up(Mantis) I looked at it and quite quickly realized sitting would cause PAIN. I was actually smart enough not to let the attendant SLAM the seat into my crotch. I think the old stand-ups like Iron Wolf, or any TOGO stand up, give all stand ups a bad name.

^ If only everyone was as intelligent as I - there'd be no problem! My first stand-up was Georgia Scorcher and I made SURE I was fully standing and barely noticed the bicycle seat/crotch thing. I thought it was obvious that you STAND on a stand-up coaster, but people next to me seemed to prefer to squat... Needless to say I thought it was a great ride and quite a different sensation from a sitting coaster.

Yeah, yeah! When I was in line for Scorcher, waiting for the front seat...the people infront of me put them down as far as they could go, and the ride op went by and just checked the restraints! I mean, it was hardly sitting...what were they thinking?! Are the ops supposed to inforce that?

Oh well, SFoG went way under-par during my visit, so I'm not surprised.

-J "But the rides kicked ass!" Z

The only stand-up I've ridden is Shockwave at Kings Dominion, which lets face it, sucks.

All Togos suck.

But I was just looking at some of the layouts of the B&M stand-ups, and Mantis at Cedar Point looks spectacular! I love the dive loop on it!

That's debatable. Sure it's not as smooth as it's B&M counterpart(/understatement) but I enjoyed Shockwave. In fact I tend to enjoy TOGO coasters in general.

The only stand-up I've ridden is Shockwave at Kings Dominion, which lets face it, sucks.

All Togos suck.

But I was just looking at some of the layouts of the B&M stand-ups, and Mantis at Cedar Point looks spectacular! I love the dive loop on it!

I think you'll find here that there are some really nice Togo's out there. If there's one HUGE important thing I've learned here, is that everyone is entitled to their own opinion. And you need to learn that, quick.

- "Once MF" JZ