TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

What do you think of Intamin rocket coasters?

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The actual initial rate of acceleration of the Accelerator coasters is the same, because it's the same basic system on each of them. The trains reach their top speed a little bit before the end of the launch section too, to give enough time for the catch car to disengage safely.

Kingda Krap was supposed to be 128 in 3.5 sec., the promo video showed it being 3 sec., but it is actually 4 sec. That was the letdown that ruined it all.

That ruined that whole thing for you?! I suppose that going 128 MPH wasn't enough for you.

(PS you need to get over the fact that there are people that disagree with you...the sooner you learn this lesson, the better off you will be in life.)

Hi! I'm new ect ect.

I love rocket coasters, but the majority are so un-original.

I mean. The biggest of all Intamin launches are TTD, KK and XLR8R. Top Thrill Dragster is just Xcelerator minus everything after the top hat, and KK TTD with an air-time hill at the end.

And we have another Rocket coming to the UK... which is just a scaled down KK .

Come on! Originality please! Rita - Queen of Speed and Storm Runner are my type of original launch coaster .

They're an awesome idea, but so far in my eyes, they have very rarely been used to their full potential.

I would change very rarely to Never.

Stormrunner seemed like a move in the right direction, but then Kingda Ka was a step back. I love the smoothness of Intamin, but so often they don't really use the speed built up on the non-launched rides, let alone the launched rides. They all seem like prototypes instead of final products. Look at the down time associated with most of them (launched models, Xcel is working all the time now though, right?).

S&S's prototype, H:XLC, was at least followed up by Dodonpa, a much different and better coaster. (If you think TTD's launch is awesome, come to Japan!) So why aren't we getting more of that line?

As for all the LIM/LSM launchers out there, most are pretty great, but tech nightmares, as well as huge electric power drains, leading to stagnation in design and installation numbers due to the cost of operation.

Chris B

Storm Runner disappointed me. It was a good ride, just not a GREAT ride. I found the launch wasn't that powerful and the restraints made the inversions uncomfortable...

However, TTD is my fave coaster of all time, I love it. It IS a one trick pony, but it is just so mindblowing. The launch is incredible. Xcelerator is another of my faves, great ride! And Rita's decent too.

If Intamin Rocket coasters are the future of the industry, I'll be happy; especially as even though there are already some awesome designs around, they're full potential hasn't been reached...

If Rocket coasters are the future, I'm in heaven, but they seem to be getting worse. Storm Runner came later than TTD and XLR8R, so it was just a little of a downgrade. it was their first try at inversions, too, so don't blame them.

I'd say one super trick is better than a couple little ones. The launch is where it's at.

^^^^^Where do you pull this crap from? TTD was the biggest improvement in the Rocket Coasters. KK was the worst. XLR8R was a prototype and prototypes are never the best. I bet the "scale down KK" will have OTSRs and brakes at the top of the "tower", too. Rita and SR are origional, but so is TTD and TTD is too much better than them.

That ruined that whole thing for you?! I suppose that going 128 MPH wasn't enough for you.

(PS you need to get over the fact that there are people that disagree with you...the sooner you learn this lesson, the better off you will be in life.)

8 mph difference isn't noticable at all. The acceleration was the downfall.

I'm probably better off in life than you are.

Rita and SR are origional, but so is TTD and TTD is too much better than them.

Yes, TTD is original, but I prefer the originality that went into Storm Runner's inversions. I've ridden both coasters, and I was sure I'd like TTD better than Storm Runner, but I just didn't. Both coasters are awesome, but perhaps it is the inversions, or perhaps it is the terrain that just made me like Storm Runner better.

Storm Runner disappointed me. It was a good ride, just not a GREAT ride. I found the launch wasn't that powerful and the restraints made the inversions uncomfortable

Sorry to hear that. Did you sit in the front, because the front seat deffinitely makes the ride. No where else on the train even compares. As for the restraints, they sometimes go down and crush me a bit through the inversions, but that seems to happen more often on the train with red trim.

^^^^^Where do you pull this crap from? TTD was the biggest improvement in the Rocket Coasters. KK was the worst. XLR8R was a prototype and prototypes are never the best. I bet the "scale down KK" will have OTSRs and brakes at the top of the "tower", too. Rita and SR are origional, but so is TTD and TTD is too much better than them.

Okay, I tried to stand you but I can't. All you are coming across is as a desperate fanboy who has to rape people with your own opinion. RESPECT others opinions, and they might start respecting yours. Some people in this thread share the believe that TTD is great, and thats fine, they didn't shout and scream and the people who preferred KK, or Stormrunner, or Xcelerator. All have their own plus's and minus's.

Anyways...

TTD wasn't really an improvement, it was just a taller Xcelerator minus the overbanks. The best improvement was probably Stormrunner, since it introduced inversions and a ride that lasted over 30 seconds. I think that Superman in Australia is looking like the best rocket coaster so far... and its barely started.

Just spent the last two days at Hersheypark and rode Stormrunner 5 times. The launch and tophat are excellent, but the rest of the ride was just average. And the OTSR's made the ride a headbanger; they need to be removed; they are poorly designed, especially the thinner profile big boy restraints we accidentally wound up in once which karate chop your neck in the quick right-left headbanger element just before the break run. The lap bar does all the work holding you in anyway. The ride ran without problems both days, so it seems like all the technical issues have been worked out with this size launched coaster. It's getting rough; we had less headbanging on the Sidewinder, believe it or not (Vekoma Boomerang). In the end I think Intamin has created a cool ride to add to any amusement park, but I don't think they are near the quality of a B&M ride. After riding Great Bear I was wondering how a B&M interpretation of this ride would come out.

The actual initial rate of acceleration of the Accelerator coasters is the same, because it's the same basic system on each of them. The trains reach their top speed a little bit before the end of the launch section too, to give enough time for the catch car to disengage safely.

The time of acceleration is different, though, so that means that the acceleration rates are different.

Jason "I don't think you get 8 mph in 1 second on a system like that" Schindwolf

Being an avid drag racer I love them. For me the hole ride is about the launch. Speeking from 15 yrs experience drag racing, you would have to have a car that does less than 7 seconds in the 1/4 mile just to equal excelerators launch. That to me is amazing! I could ride excelerator all day and not get tired of it.