TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

What do you think of Intamin rocket coasters?

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How is it worse? The hydralic building was relocated to a much better area, the restraints are safer, and dosen't detract from the ride, it makes use of duel stations for both uses, not just one one for exiting and one for boarding and will be in the long run more reliable. Not to mention the theme is better executed then TTD's and instead of of a straight brake run it has a airtime hill that detracts from the overall phallicness of the ride, and it more intresting and does provide airtime, and when were rocket coasters made for air anyways... they are just big grizzly machines that want to be larger then one another.

I've only ridden the original---Xcelerator at Knott's. I think it's a great concept; unfortunately, the launch is hard on my stomach so I don't ride much, despite the fact that overall I do like it.

Right now, I think Intamin and the parks ought to look at a ride that's more than just launch, up, down, and back. At some point, I'm sure there will be a lengthy Millennium Force-like coaster using a launch instead of a tall lift hill.

Eric

^Exactly, and a park like Cedar Point would have been "out there" if they would have just built Millenium Force with a launch when they already have Millenium Force right there.

Dragster was what it was on purpose, it was designed to be a drop tower in the form of a roller coaster with a launch. Intamin even calls it that.

It has a so-called 'airtime' hill, that produces no air. Only the first two rows get great airtime on the top hat due to the trim brakes.

Top Thrill Dragster, on the other hand, has no trims, and only lap bars. Kingda Ka has over-the-shoulder-restraints, which kills the ride.

Have you actually ridden KK? I found the OTSRs really minimal, and certainly not "ride-killing." The giga-rockets are about speed, height, and postive Gs, and I can't see how Ka's rather spacious restraints impinge on any of those...

^usually people call them strata-coasters...

^^^^What does it matter where the hydraulic building is? It makes no difference at all, the restraints make for less "exposure" on the ride, just because it has a duel station doesn't mean it's capacity is greater, the theme is not better, KK is just a copy of TTD with a hill, I felt no difference in the two rides (besides the hill), the hill barely has airtime, and what does it matter if the second hill produces airtime? on both rides you get great air on the tophat.

I have been to the park 50 times since Dragtser opened and have ridden Dragster probably 150 times and it NEVER launches at 130. The fastest I have ever seen is 125 and tha average is about 121. I have never seen it launch at under 120 and make it over the top hat.

sry i don't have a picture of it, but I saw the speedometer and it said 130 one time (I was not on it, however).

Kingda Ka just isn't what it should have been. If they didn't have trims, if it had lapbars, and if the brakes started after the "air hill" was over, I would probably love it. If they hadn't lied about the launch either. They said it would be improved, but instead, it is a little worse than TTD. KK pulls 1.6 G's and TTD pulls 2.2. you can hardly tell the difference on both rides, but it would have been better had they not lied and said the launch would be 0-128 in 3.5 seconds. It turned out to be 4 seconds.

Cedar Point lied as well, but in a different way. They said the launch is in 4 seconds, but the launch is only in about 2.8 seconds, which improved my experience on it.

I honestly love the rocket coaster, but its not meeting my hopes yet. Right now, the rides are just too short. The only rocket that comes close to my expectations would be Storm Runner. Xcelerator is close, but pushing it. I don't want just one giant hill. I want a serious, long ride. I want to see somebody build a rocket coaster that is around 4000+ ft long, that doesn't go 400+ ft in the air.

^Storm Runner is good because it was the ride to introduce the rocket coaster to inversions.

I still like TTD better because of the G's, the speed, and the height. It's fun to be able to look down on all the other rides including Millennium Force. On KK, you get to look down on the parking lot. What fun is that?

I love Intamin Rocket Coasters! I like the feeling of it when you wait and then it launches you at over 100mph. My favorite is Top Thrill Dragster.

Just for Coasterlover420, this is a good example of how to show your opinion. He isn't telling anyone how stupid they are for not liking TTD.

The main reason I dislike TTD is that it lasts 14 whatever seconds, and if you closed your eyes you would barely notice the hill, because theres no air (the stupid restraints are staple raped by the ops).

Although I've only been on Top Thrill Dragster, I love rocket coasters. They could be even better if they could get better layouts (longer), and be more reliable, which will come soon.

As of TTD and Kingda Ka being total pieces of crap, I'd beg to differ. Although they are one-trick ponys, they definitely have one heck of a trick. I also won't comment on which ones better either, because I haven't been on Kingda Ka, and neither ones better, it just matters on opinions of what makes a ride great and fanboyism, lol.

I love Intamin Rocket Coasters! I like the feeling of it when you wait and then it launches you at over 100mph. My favorite is Top Thrill Dragster.

Just for Coasterlover420, this is a good example of how to show your opinion. He isn't telling anyone how stupid they are for not liking TTD.

The main reason I dislike TTD is that it lasts 14 whatever seconds, and if you closed your eyes you would barely notice the hill, because theres no air (the stupid restraints are staple raped by the ops).

14 seconds is a bit understated, don't you think?

And if you wait 2 hours in line to close your eyes, then what's the point of riding it?

And what exactly do you mean by the restraints? Hell at least it doesn't have OTSR's.

I really like how they underestimate the launches on them. Xcelerator: suppoed to be 82 in 2.3 sec. but ended up being only 2 sec., SR: supposed to be 72 in 2 sec. but ended up being in 1 sec., TTD was supposed to be 120 in 4 sec. nut ended up being in 2.8.

Kingda Krap was supposed to be 128 in 3.5 sec., the promo video showed it being 3 sec., but it is actually 4 sec. That was the letdown that ruined it all.