TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Millenium Force and Mantis

When I was at Cedar Point 3 days ago I rode Mantis and Millenium Force. Millenium Force was terrible. I hated the Crushing G's and ZERO airtime. Great first drop but after that...It's pure pain and torture. Just to intense to enjoy. Howeve, Mantis was amazing. The only reazon it is "rough" is because people ride it like a sit-down-on-a-bicycle-seat ride and not a stand up. Get your lazy butts out of the seat and youll actually appreciate that ride like your suppose to. I rode it both ways, in the back, and it was a great ride when you actually stand up.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I cant belive that your comparing these two coasters, I guess it shows how different people prefer different aspects of coasters.

Personally, i've never had a good ride on Mantis and being 6'5, I have no choice but to stand my 'lazy butt' up.

It's shame that Millenium Force didnt live to the high 'stand'ards of Mantis.

When I was at Cedar Point 3 days ago I rode Mantis and Millenium Force. Millenium Force was terrible. I hated the Crushing G's and ZERO airtime. Great first drop but after that...It's pure pain and torture. Just to intense to enjoy. Howeve, Mantis was amazing. The only reazon it is "rough" is because people ride it like a sit-down-on-a-bicycle-seat ride and not a stand up. Get your lazy butts out of the seat and youll actually appreciate that ride like your suppose to. I rode it both ways, in the back, and it was a great ride when you actually stand up.

The only reason there would be a bad ride on a stand up, is if you don't adjust the seat correctly. I'm a huge fan of Mantis, Scorcher, Vortex, and King Cobra. I loved each of my rides on them. Don't really remember my ride on Cobra, but the other B&M's provide excellent forces, even making me grey out at the bottom of Mantis' first loop.

Millennium Force and the crushing G's? The only ones I can the of are the negative ones on the drop, at the bottom of the hill it's VERY intense..but other than that in the front or back it's really just being pulled through the overbanks. Pain and torture? Every ride on MF continues to be butter smooth, and just all around pure fun! The speed and sheer hight is just great, and it still ranks high on my list.

No-one should compare the 2 coasters as they are 2 different types, 1 built for speed n power, the other is a very twisted Stand-up.

Don't we all do this already with the coaster poll?

Millenium Force... Painful? Hmm. Seems odd to me, unless it's gotten much much worse over time. As far as no air time. Yes Millie has less negative forces than some coasters out there, but none? That is a bit of exageration.

As far as a standup only being painful for those too lazy to standup, that's not quite true either. For me, the pain is not in the groin, it is in my knees being subjected to forces that they just can't take.

I am only comparing the two cause MF is supposed to be amazing and Mantis was supposed to suck but it turned out to be the opposite. The hill after the first drop is steep. I think that just killed the rest of the ride. Dragster was fun but I worry about coasters getting any taller, and if it will even be any fun to ride them

I wouldn't say MF is that bad but I do prefer Mantis over MF. MF has been running a lot rougher than in the past especially on yellow train. I would never say MF is terrible but after the third hill I do find it somewhat boring.

I only said Mantis sucks because I have a bit of a weird shaped head. I have a bump on the back of my head that even makes it uncomfortable to sit against walls. So, for Mantis, the headrests bulge outward and seem to be rock hard, so I had a massive headache. As for the sitting down thing, I've rode Riddler's (brother coaster to Mantis) several times, from sitting down almost entirely to standing up and not touching the seat. I have neever had uncomfortableness of the boys, except when wearing baggy type clothes. My legs usually hurt more than my boys.

The only reazon it is "rough" is because people ride it like a sit-down-on-a-bicycle-seat ride and not a stand up. Get your lazy butts out of the seat and youll actually appreciate that ride like your suppose to. I rode it both ways, in the back, and it was a great ride when you actually stand up.

Okay, I'm just going to ignore the "Millennium Force is rough," comment, but as for stand-ups, in my memory, the only people that I can recall riding it in a sit-down position are GPs. Not saying that there aren't any enthusiast who do it this way; I've just never seen them.

As for me, I do sit/stand in the seat correctly, but at 5'4", I seem to be the PERFECT height for the optimal amount of head-banging against the restraints. I don't remember Mantis being the worst coaster ever, but the stand-up B&M Iron Wolf (SFGAdv) definitely was, and I still wouldn't exactly call Mantis smooth by any stretch of the imagination.

Well I didn't really care for Mantis. I liked the first drop, but after that it was a little too rough on the family jewels. When I went on it, on the train before us, someone puked and they still let us on the train. It wasn't until the poor people who were in line for that row had already moved to their seats that anyone realized something was wrong.

After that we had to get off the train while they cleaned the mess up and then send the train out empty a few times.

About Millennium Force, I was incredibly disappointed with this ride. It was the one I was looking forward to the most and besides the first drop and the pull-out, I found it very boring.

Maybe it was because I sat in the middle of the train?

Didn't find it rough though.

I guess we all have different definitions of rough and boring and exciting and of course, what makes a good coaster.

Ranking discomfort on the 200 something coasters I've been on, MF is the most comfortable by far...the only ones in the same league are the B&M hypers...

....for me, the other end of that list is every stand-up I've been on...they rank ahead in the pain category of every Arrow and Vekoma I've ever been on simply due to the fact that they feature a device against which my genitals are thrust...

..my understanding is that Riddlers Revenge is tolerable, but I haven't been on it...so in my book, stand-up coasters are the work of Satan...

I don't get this. Why do you people want to wait in line for 2 hours to go up high, ride a great drop, black out and then get minimal airtime. You know your allowed to not shove to stand up seat right up your balls. Give yourself a few free inches and everything becomes smooth and comfortable. I mean I love some Intamins but its just too intense, I just want some airtime/hangtime, strong but not overly intense forces, and some interesting elements. I dont want to get cerushed into obliion!

I don't get this. Why do you people want to wait in line for 2 hours to go up high, ride a great drop, black out and then get minimal airtime. You know your allowed to not shove to stand up seat right up your balls. Give yourself a few free inches and everything becomes smooth and comfortable. I mean I love some Intamins but its just too intense, I just want some airtime/hangtime, strong but not overly intense forces, and some interesting elements. I dont want to get cerushed into obliion!

I don't get this. Why do you people want to wait in line for 2 hours to go up high, ride a great drop, black out and then get minimal airtime.

Like it's already been stated, not everyone blacks out on the same coasters. I can ride MF all day, but put me through a single loop on an Arrow coaster, and I'm done for.

Also, some people like the rush, speed, and "intense forces" more so than airtime. It's all a matter of opinion.

Clearly.

I dont want to get cerushed into obliion!

Seriously, dude. You ARE allowed to read over your post before your hit the Submit button. You know that, right?

Okay, about the comment on Millennium Force being painful, I can see how this could be. The first time on the ride, the g's at the bottom of the first hill actually popped my back. My back hurt like hell for 5 minutes, but even despite that it became my new favorite coaster.

As for the "lazy butts" comment, I've only ridden two stand-up coasters (Iron Wolf and Mantis) and I've stood up completely both times. After my horrible experience on Iron Wolf, I actually tried to bend my legs slightly for Mantis and the Cedar Point Staff absolutely forced me to stand completely straight. I got a bad headache afterwards (not nearly as bad as Iron Wolf) from the head banging during the second half, and not too bad from the first half. The main problem I have with stand-ups is the bulky restraints. On every other coaster, I can put my head forward to eliminate head banging (or in Maverick's case, neck banging), but the restraints on the stand-ups are just so bulky, even putting my head forward doesn't help. This helps make Mantis my most hated coaster at Cedar Point, as I found Mean Streak after a good rain to be pretty fun and not insanely rough. However, when it is dry...