TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Tropical Storm Fay

As of 1:30 PM EST this afternoon, There will be no school for a major part of the southern region of Florida (If not most of Florida) due to the effects of TS Fay.

I was supposed to start school tomorrow, Public schools were supposed to start today. I live in Broward county, which is the county immediately north of Miami-Dade County

There were no classes today for Dade and Broward County. It looks like classes will resume on Wednesday depending of the aftermath.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm actually (scheduled to be) flying down to Orlando in about 12 hours. As an armchair meteorologist, I've been tracking this since it was in front of Haiti... our flight is scheduled to land at 10 a.m. tomorrow in Orlando, but "subject to change" doesn't even begin to cover it. Of course, I'm currently reading the MSNBC article stating: "Many residents are worried as tourists catch the last flights out of town..."

Flight delay potential aside, I'm actually pretty pumped for this storm. The irony is that I'm going down to tour a couple of schools on the Atlantic side, and I want to major in meteorology. Embry-Riddle in Daytona Beach closed campus and cancelled our tour for Wednesday because, quoting the e-mail, "The meteorologists on our campus have predicted that the Daytona area will be affected by Fay within the next 72 hours..."

So here I sit, 12 hours before takeoff, ready for Fay to rock us all like... well, you know.

^That's awesome!

Yeah, unfortunately like I said, our Wednesday tour was cancelled. Thankfully my dad took the initiative to rebook for Saturday. (We're touring Florida Tech in Melbourne the day before.)

Well, gotta get at least one ounce of sleep, so good luck to all affected by Fay!

Off for the time being from school. Work is loving crazy if they're not closing.

Free money, but hell, nobody is really going to be out. They're either sleeping in from being hungover from hurricane parties or just plain sleeping in while I have to loving work early in the morning in a store that's going to be absolutely dead. UGH.

They're forecasting 40mph winds in the area tomorrow night. I'll probably be working. How I'm going to get home from work I don't know. I just hope I still have electricity.

Otherwise, everything's "life as normal" here in Gainesville, aside from all the new and returning students coming into town.

My roommate said the power was out in the house most of the day Monday. Luckily I was at work; the power came on by the time I got home.

The weather really didn't get wild outside until about 4:30am this morning, when I heard my battery backup on my computer click on from the power clicking out. I think I'm going into work late this morning to give the storm a chance to move out of Ft Lauderdale. I'm not driving in a downpour for 20 miles with these fools on the road!

Terry

All right, technically the flight wasn't cancelled, but here's how it went down...

Got up at 3:30 this morning, dressed, breakfast, etc... meanwhile my dad was here on the computer tracking just how close to Cocoa Beach Fay would come (see: very, apparently) when he got an e-mail saying that basically any Floridian flight could be rescheduled at no extra charge. "Hurricane Busters Insurance Policy", I think they called it. Anyway, because our Embry-Riddle tour was cancelled for tomorrow, we really didn't figure we'd be able to do much for the next two to three days as it was. (I'd be getting video footage of the entire storm, but I digress. ) So, at 4:00 in the morning, he decided to call up Spirit and change the flight.

So now here I sit, about 60 hours before takeoff, moping around the house and doing absolutely nothing productive.

^ The storm isn't THAT bad, at least from where I see it.

A few gusts every now and then.

It's only been raining all day yesterday and today.

There's probably not going to be school tomorrow from the way I see it.

At least this gives me time to finish reading the last 70 pages of my summer reading book.

^I gave it a 25% chance that our flight would be cancelled... which, like I said, our original one wasn't... but now that there's tornado warnings for Cocoa Beach, Melbourne et al. I'm a bit glad we decided to reschedule!

Dan "OK, so secretly I wanted to be in the storm, but I'm glad for the rest of the family at least..." Smith

Wow, I have to go back on Thursday, this is such B.S. because we could've gone today, but nope! There taking 2 days off of my Thanksgiving vacation, and Thursday/Friday are going to be pointless because we'll just be covering the Code Of Conduct. They really made a bad call on this storm for Lake County.

While its not bad here at all in South Florida, I must say, my flight leaving the East Coast TPR trip back home was horrid! We flew right through it. I totally had a Final Destination moment for about 20 minutes.

Scariest flight ever!

Wow, I have to go back on Thursday, this is such B.S. because we could've gone today, but nope! There taking 2 days off of my Thanksgiving vacation, and Thursday/Friday are going to be pointless because we'll just be covering the Code Of Conduct. They really made a bad call on this storm for Lake County.

Well, I can understand that if you live in Orlando, its right in the storm's path, Miami, and South East Florida is just in the margin of the storm.

All we got was a lot of rain.

Gainesville's been untouched so far. A little rain earlier today, but that may be totally unrelated to Fay. We were supposed to get tropical storm force winds, but it looks like it's taking an alternate route. There's still a chance it will hit us over the next few days though.

Wonder if I can get a good picture of the eye when we fly over it today.

How's Gainesville holding up so far, Erik? Apparently our hotel at Cocoa Beach is surrounded by about 2 feet of rainfall, so I'd really hope you have significantly less precip.