TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Future Coaster Trip!

Hey Everyone!,

Me and a few friends are planing a kind of loop around the country after we graduate high school next year. We started planing this a few years ago and frankly no one thought it was going to happen, but it turns out it is!

We plan to buy a Six Flags Season Pass and a Cedar Fair Platinum Pass to save money.

The Parks we have in mind so far are...

Six Flags Season Pass

-Six Flags New England

-Six Flags Great Adventure

-Six Flags America

-Six Flags Magic Mountain

-Six Flags Over Georgia

-Six Flags Discovery Kingdom

-Six Flags Over Texas

-Six Flags Veista Texas

-Six Flags St Louis

-Six Flags Great America

-Six Flags Kentucky Kingdom

-The Great Escape

Cedar Fair Season Pass

-Cedar Point

-Knott’s Berry Farm

-Kings Island

-Kings Dominion

-Great America

-Dorney Park

-Vallyfair

-Worlds of Fun

-Carowinds

-Michigan’s Adventure

Parks We HAVE to Pay for!

-Kennywood Park

-Hershey Park

-Disney World Parks

-Universal Studios & Island of Adventure

-Hard Rock Park

-Darien Lake

-Elitch Gardens

-Universal Hollywood

-Disneyland & Disney’s California Adventure

-Busch Gardens Europe

-Busch Gardens Africa

-Lake Compounce

-Dollywood

-Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk

-Belmont Park

-Holiday World

-Indiana Beach

Now I have so many Questions to ask everyone but heres a few.

1. What Parks should I skip?

2. What Parks should I Deff go to?

3. Anyone know any hotels near any of the parks they suggests?

4. Are there any great little parks that we should go to?

P.S. Sorry If I put this in the wrong topic.

Keep in mind the loop can also be changed if needed!

288266422_roadtrip.GIF.eef7c7b647a9d9ddfdb2f60801a346c7.GIF

The Trip Route!

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's an ambitious plan and congrats if you are able to pull it off!

I can kind of help you out with the accommodations. Whenever I visit pretty much anywhere I usually always use Hotwire.com for booking hotels. I am not sure what your budget is, but you can usually stay in 4+ star hotels for around $50-$70, some a little more, some a little less. If that is too much they also offer 2 stars from about $30. The only draw back I have found with this site is that you DO NOT know what hotel you are staying in until after you book and then you cannot cancel, BUT, you do get to pick the area and they only deal with good clean properties so it is not too bad. Hope this helps!

p.s I would say definitely don't miss Busch Gardens Europe, it's probably one of my favorite parks.

We plan to buy a Six Flags Season Pass and a Cedar Fair Platinum Pass to save money.

Admission costs are going to be the least of your worries. The price of gas and hotels is what's going to be the major blow. Plus you're looking at like a month long trip.

I'd be shocked if you could do this trip for under $6-$7 grand. How many high school kids can afford that?

If you can pull it off, well that'd be great as that should be a trip to remember. But pulling it off is going to be a challenge. The logistics of planning a trip around the country is pretty daunting.

Wow, I really wish I could do a trip like this, but there is no way I'd be able to afford it. Anyways, I really reccomend to not miss out on the Busch parks. They have great rides and great theming. BGE is one of my favorite parks. Also, do not forget about Sea World. Especially with them adding Manta next year, I'd make sure to use a day for SWO while you're down in Florida for WDW and Universal.

If you can pull it off, well that'd be great as that should be a trip to remember. But pulling it off is going to be a challenge. The logistics of planning a trip around the country is pretty daunting.

Plus going on trips is absolutely exhausting. Driving hours and hours every day, walking the parks, the high forces of the rides, etc gets on you very quickley if you dont get enough sleep and do it day after day after day. I have a hard time doing trips that are more than a few days without getting extremely tired. The gas and tolls add up very quickley also in addition to hotels and park admissions, plus you have to eat. Unless you won the lottery or saved every penny you ever earned from working and dont plan on going to college next year, you might want to think about shortening it up a bit.

And with a trip that long you would need to put extra planning into how you're going to drive that much.

What car are you going to drive? Will said car even be reliable enough to make it on a month long trip? At the very least you might need an oil change partway through. And also planning ahead for tough drives across the deserts and mountains. There's a pretty decent chance that your car might break down partway through this trip unless you provide constant maintenance.

In my opinion you're much better off finding an area with a high concentration of parks and hitting all of those (i.e. Pennsylvania- Dorney, Hershey, Kennywood, Knoebels). You're going to be asking a lot of your body to try to pull that trip off, not to mention the amount of money that requires. Even if you wanted to make the trip a little longer you could always go right down the east coast and hit parks along the way.

After looking at your list, I'd say just sticking to New England, the Mid-Atlantic states, and only a few mid-west states would still be an incredible trip. Something like this:

-Six Flags New England

-Six Flags Great Adventure

-Six Flags America

-Six Flags Great America

-Six Flags Kentucky Kingdom

-Cedar Point

-Kings Island

-Kings Dominion

-Dorney Park

-Carowinds

-Kennywood

-HersheyPark

-Darien Lake

-Busch Gardens Europe

-Lake Compounce

-Dollywood

-Holiday World

-Indiana Beach

-Knoebels (you didn't have this one on your list, but I hear it's a MUST-DO!)

You never go further south than Tennessee/North Carolina or further west than Illinois, but you cut the number of states you'd travel to from 27 to 12 and you still get 19 solid parks.

But jeez, even THAT list looks exhausting. Are you sure you've thought this through?

Better yet, why don't you just do a TPR trip next year? If you really have enough money for this gigantic trip you're planning, you probably have enough to do 2-3 of the official trips, and that would save you A LOT of driving, gas, money, and (most importantly) ENERGY. And you'd probably get close to the same amount of parks you're wanting to hit in this hypothetical trip of yours.

I think Natatomic has given you some solid advice. Something I would add, stop and smell the roses. You can't really experience the parks when you're just jamming them in.

Warning, Old guy story: My friends and I took a week in the summer Magnum Opened to drive up from Florida and ride the world's largest coaster. We only hit Cedar Point on our trip but the memories will last for ever. I'm not suggesting you only do one park, but don't over do it. That schedule could get stressful on a group of guys spending a lot of time together in a small car. All of the sudden your trip isn't fun anymore.

Nail down an itinerary and you will get good help here from people who have done it before.

Just a few random thoughts on this.

1. If you bought the season passes and camped out, I think that the cost pp would be much lower than has been mentioned on here.

2. If you were to do the West Coast, it would be cheaper to just fly JetBlue to SF or LA. But none of you can probably rent a car so that might not work.

3. Last year we did 13 parks in 10 days from Carowinds to Canada's Wonderland and down to CP and KI. I can honestly say that it was a great time but I wouldn't do it again. As others have said you can pretty much fill a couple weeks just hitting the East Coast, New England, and possibly out to Ohio and Kentucky.

4. Quality at a less than breakneck speed trumps quantity in a stupor.

In my opinion you're much better off finding an area with a high concentration of parks and hitting all of those (i.e. Pennsylvania- Dorney, Hershey, Kennywood, Knoebels). You're going to be asking a lot of your body to try to pull that trip off, not to mention the amount of money that requires. Even if you wanted to make the trip a little longer you could always go right down the east coast and hit parks along the way.

I agree! Just pick ones side of the U.S. that you would like to hit the most and go for it. Like others have said, unless you have a ton of money saved and don't mind spending it, I'd shorten the trip a bit. Awesome idea though

Thats for the advice but this isn't going to be as costly as everyone on here is going to think. I'm not saying its gonna be like wicked cheep but we me and a few of my friends do have ways to save money.

My friends and i have family in California, Florida, Maryland, Ohio, and Virginia.

We have had the idea to go camping at some places.

We're prob not even going to eat theme park food. But just go to a local Shaws or Stop n Shop.

When we do go to hotels were just gonna look for something with a bed shower and maybe a pool.

All 3 or 4 of us are going to drive so we can take turns sleeping and keep driving.

We plan on bringing $2,000-$3,000 each for gas, prob $1,000 for tolls, $3,000 for hotels and like $2,000 for food and maybe 1 or $2,000 for just random stuff.

So i do know this trip will be Very Very Very exspensive but what ever, thats what makes us happy then so be it.

I've also talked to my friends about going on a TPR trip and they dont wanna go on one just because they wanna have the choice to go where ever they want and just change where we go.

I don't know what advice to give other than to say if I was doing a trip this massive I would try to hit all the major coasters and good non corporate parks that were not more than 150 miles out of the way.

Depending on your route they could possibly include:

Parks in Banson

Knoebels

Wisconsin Dells

Mall of America

Martin's Fantasy Island

Waldameer

Cliffs

Las Vegas attractions

Lagoon

Sea World Texas (Pick up a cheaper Busch season pass from there if you hit that park before either Busch Gardens Park)

Sea World Orlando

The only park on your list that I have been to that I would skip is Belmont, not worth the time.

Good luck withthe planning and trip.

• 3 months later...
  • 7 years later...

Found this thread. What I need to post...

2017 - Cedar Point Coastermania! Tour with buddy Bert!

2018 Tokyo Disney Resort with David ~ We "turn" 46 years together, woo hoo!

2019 - Knott's Boysenberry Festival & Disney, and (hopefully) WCB ~ Disney ~ Universal.

2020 - Back to Amsterdam, Paris, and Disney Paris.

2022 - Tokyo Disney Resort ~ Our 50th Anniversary ~ David and Me.

So far, so good, huh? {I didn't realize this was a "request info.post," till after I'd posted. Idiot bear I am}

620711973_ResizeofIMG_2690.JPG.ecf12423018e59a1cf505e9f275b9131.JPG

I want us to go back to this, in 2018. TPR 2013 Japan Tour.

Hey Everyone!,

Me and a few friends are planing a kind of loop around the country after we graduate high school next year. We started planing this a few years ago and frankly no one thought it was going to happen, but it turns out it is!

The Parks we have in mind so far are...

Parks We HAVE to Pay for!

-Hard Rock Park

Keep in mind the loop can also be changed if needed!

I will help save you money, Hard Rock Park closed in 2009 I believe. No need to pay them money.