TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Questions about a trip to Japan

captain

After deciding to go to Japan 2006, we`ve planned with the "Alvey`s Guide to Japan" and somemore infos found in the world wide web, but I still need some more answers for planning. Maybe some of you guys can help me out:

For planning our budget it would be useful that we get to know the entrance fees for the parks, do you`ve some infos about it? Or where we can find it (most themepark sites are just in japanese - and that`s not easy).

Was it easy to get reservations for trains (JR Trains and Shinkansen) or was it easy to grap seats without reservations?

For the Alveys: Why you guys didn`t choose the Nasu Highland Resort, isn`t it looking interesting?

Overall, is it hard to find cheap food to eat, except McD ?

As we want to see some more cultural stuff too, who can give us a good advise for travel books?

Thanks a lot for your informations.

Andy

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can help a bit...

You only need reservations for the Shinkansen and the Narita Express, all of the other trains had mostly unreserved cars and were very easy to get on and off when and where you needed to.

Most of the parks cost between $20 & $30. The 4 day Disney Park Hopper was about $180. (going from memory here). Some of the smaller parks were a bit less than $20, and some parks were Pay Per Ride.

We didn't go to Nasu Highland Resort as it is a bit north of Tokyo and there was a limit to how many places we could go to in 2 weeks. It is in our plans for our next trip though, it looks very interesting.

All of the train stations and parks have interesting reasonably priced food. From freshly fried chicken, to great noodle bowls for around $4.

Elissa "hope this helps" Alvey

As for the cultural stuff, we spent one day in Kamakura which is about 45 minutes from Tokyo. It is like temple heaven. We were only able to do about a half dozen in that day and they were all very different and intresting. Most are free although some did have a small entrance fee ($1-3). On our next trip we plan on returning, but next time we're going to rent bicycles!

Another cool place is the Tokyo National Museum in Ouno(sp?) Park. The park in in the center of Tokyo and there is a train station that takes you right to it. Hope this helps!

there are seats that you can get for Shinkansen without reservation, but they get REALLY crowded (expect to stand) during the busy summer seasons.

Japan's summer begin around July 20th and I'm pretty sure most schools start around September 1st.

If you need any help getting info from any Japanese sites, I can help you because I can read them! Just drop a message by PM

Finding cheap food is relatively easy, just be prepared to point at pictures & not really know what you're getting I ate at alot of little off-street places (not really restaurants), where you sit along a bench/bar table while they cook in front of you. Raamen is a great cheap meal that fills you up.

hey captain,

i too am planning a trip to japan and want not only a little coaster action, but some cultural experiences as well. check out Fodors 2005 guide to japan, it's bene helping me quite a bit. also lonelyplanet's guides are good, but the maps look like they leave a lot to the imagination. also, check out http://www.fodors.com for destination guides. they even had a snippet on parque espana i found the other day (said it was opened to great acclaim 10 years ago but is a ghost town these days, hehe), and i'm scouring the site for more hidden park info.

my biggest fears are the language barrier and figuring out the trains. i'm not too concerned about the culture because i get this high from immersion itself.. and i have a friend who'll be pointing me in the right directions. here's hoping i've done that just a bit. good luck!

The trains aren't too hard. There is an English button on the JR Line automated machines that will translate the whole process. The only thing I would suggest is that you try and find a train map in English that you can keep in your pocket. Not every station has a map in both Japanesse and English characters, let me tell you, that makes for some educated guesses! :shock:

Also, if you just learn some phrases before you leave it will help lots. I bought one of those learn Japanesse CD sets at Barnes and Noble and was able to learn enough to get around. Good Luck!

If you find yourself lost in the train system someone will usually try to help you out if you look suitably confused (it happened to me a few times ). Having said that tho, the train system is very easy & the only time I had troubles was when the station names board was only in Kanji. I travelled all around by myself with little problems tho.

I'm not sure what areas you'll be in, but for a great cultural experience the Kansai region can't be beat. Kyoto & Nara have some amazing temples and gardens.

A big hello to all of you and thank your very much for helping me.

In the last days I forgot to reply, sorry - time is running so fast.

So far I`m planning the trip for the next april. We`re going to stay about one week in Tokyo, one week in Kyoto and three days in Disneyland.

I choose Kyoto because it`s in a two hour reach of a lot of places like Osaka, Nara, Hiroshima, Kobe, Miyajima...

I found a real interesting hotel, the GRANVIA in Kyoto. It is right above the Shinkansen Station in Kyoto, so just getting up in the morning and we`ll be in the train. the tripadvisor reports are also seems to be great.

About the train reservation thing:

How many days before a shinkansen ride do`ve to make the reservation?

And you said that it`s always very crowded. So what about luggage? Do I have to take real small trolleys?

Normally I`m not really frightened about getting lost, because we`ve travelled around a lot of places on our own and never had much trouble. But japan is more different than for ex. thailand, malaysia or singapore.

I`ll going to order the fodor guide to see what we can do besides the parks.

Reservations for us were no problem. We made some right at the airport station in Narita for 10 days in advance and we made some 10 minutes before the train left! (it was a spur of the moment get to universal thing!) If you do some research you will find dates of when they tell you to make sure to have a reservation because they do sell out occasionally. This is usually during holidays.

As for luggage...on the Shinkansen there is plenty of room for anything. It is the smaller trains that during rush hour can be PACKED! When you are moving with luggage try to go during non-rush hour times.

Elissa "I miss Japan!" Alvey

Thanks Elissa,

do they speak english at the shinkansen informations or is it better to write my route down and show him what reservation I`ll want to do?

And is it worth to pay the extra money for the green trains or is it okay with the normal class? (I think for just some hours it isn`t worth the extra money!?)

By the way, yesterday we watched your whole japan trip on DVD and me and my wife had some big laughs. Thanks for sharing...

In Tokyo right now guys, found your site whilst planning this trip.

Big question do all the parks shut when it's raining? Toshimaen, LaQua(in and outdoors) and Hanyashiki were all shut today and there's a typhoon on apparantly.

Plus does anyone know if Yokohama Cosmoworld and Yourimuland are open during this week?

Cheers Phil in Tokyo

^^ Don't bother with the Green at all! The normal Shinkansen train cars were as nice as business class on an airplane! Lots of room!

Have everything written down on paper as many people do not speak English, even in the big train stations.

&

^ When we were there Yomiuriland operated all rides but 2 in the rain, LaQua had all the indoor and covered stuff open, and well we all know about riding stuff in the Typhoon at Parque Espana!

As for the parks being open, I would call or visit their websites. They were open when we were there in September so I can't imagine them not being open now during the week.

Elissa "thinking about a trip to japan soon!" Alvey

Cheers for the advice on the parks. Scorching day today so visited Yokohama and Sea Paradise with that mad water chute thing, photos just don't do it justice !

Took the Shinkansen to Yokohama from Tokyo where they speak perfect English at the Shin reservation desk ( and take credit card aswell ). Going to try for Yomiruiland, Summerland and LaQua tomorrow.

Phil still in Tokyo

Going to try for Yomiruiland, Summerland and LaQua tomorrow.

Phil still in Tokyo

phil, let us know how easy it is to get to those three by train! i'm going to be setting up base camp in chiba city and am hoping all are within reach... well, i KNOW laqua is. whatevv... hope you're having a blast!

>h<

^

Yomiuriland = Easy, has its own station then take skyride to the park

Summerland = Annoying, get off at one of two stations then take 30min bus ride

LaQua = SUPEREASY, get off when you see Thunder Dolphin (from train) or it has like 4 different subway stations.

On that advice have abandoned Summerland from Itinery.

All other parks very easy to get to.

And as for prices,

LaQua Thunder Dolphin 1000 yen Geo Panic 800 yen

Yokohama Cosmoworld Vanish 700 yen Spinning coaster 500 yen

Sea Paradise Get the 2900 yen ticket / wristband for all rides (I think the ticket machine takes credit cards)

Tobu zoo 3900 yen free pass ticket for all rides - Regina is an absolute must - IMO best ride out here better than Thunder Dolphin and Surf Coaster

Also you must visit the beautiful littlle park Hanayashiki near the Sensoji shrine at Asakusa (not part of the Alvey intinery by the looks of it)

1000yen will get you in, 4 100 yen tickets will get you on Roller Coaster, the oldest coaster in Japan from 1953, and it steel aswell so it outdates the Matterhorn Bobs !

MAJOR ADVICE : Last week in July is agreat time to visit because there are NO queues at all anywhere, except 10 minutes in evening for Thunder Dolphin whilst the suits let off some steam

Well Yomiuriland and Toshimaen await today, Fuji Q tomorrow and some culture for rest of trip

Phil in Japan

• 2 weeks later...

When you click "post reply", you'll see the "Add an Attachment" area...

Click Browse to find the picture you want to upload then add a comment to it then click Add Attachment.

You can add up to I think 20 to each post. Then when you are all done click submit and you'll be done.

Try that and if it's not clear I'll try to talk you through it.