TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Photo TR- Silver Dollar City and Celebration City

Where to begin? I have lived less than 4 hours from Branson my entire life but this was my first ever trip to the city. I had spent 5 days before this in Joplin hanging with people who I knew down there with my best friend, and we were a bit worn out to say the least.

Silver Dollar City

When we finally got to SDC I was amazed at how many cars were there for a Friday. It literally took us 30 mins in traffic just to get to the parking lot! We parked in lot F and by the time we actually got our tickets (50 bucks is a HUGE rip-off) and got into the park we had wasted an extra hour.

Now for the park itself. Now I know people aren't going to like hearing this, but I can't say that I really liked the park all that much. The rides were top notch, the atmosphere was cool, and the smells were agonizingly amazing. However, the park lacked so much to me. All it felt like was walking around through a little western town with tons of shops and stalls, and oh look a carousel! There was a ton of shade which was nice, but as far as things to do, you could be done in less than two hours, which hardly makes it worth the price. A tourist trap? Silver Dollar City DEFINITELY is one.

We managed to get on the Disk-O once (forgot the name), the Giant Swing once, ThuNderaTion twice, Fire in the Hole once, Wildfire three times, and PowderKeg once (we would've ridden again but it broke down and we had to leave).

Reviews (from best to worst)-

PowderKeg: A Blast in the Wilderness-- 10/10-- We rode in the front seat and let me tell you, this ride is truly amazing. The launch was VERY powerful feeling (my picture was hillarious), it had TONS of hidden airtime and laterals, it was smooth, twisted, and just a blast! Pun intended.

Wildfire-- 9/10-- This was my first B&M sit-down and yes it was fun. It had some nice forces and kept its speed well. However, it was fairly short and though it was FAR from rough (no headbanging what-so-ever), it did have a bit of a shake to it.

ThuNderaTion-- 8/10-- By far the best mine train I've ever ridden. It was smooth, forceful, and just all-around fun. Its built on the side of a giant Missouri hill so it starts out right from the station and really gets going immediately. What I didnt like was how the lift was at the end and it only had a little bit of track after it. Too much wasted speed at the brake run.

Disk-O-- 8/10-- This was just your standard Disk-O without the extra hump, but it was fun. I hadn't ridden one before and I always thought they looked boring, but it was thoroughly fun and had a nice long cycle.

The Giant Barn Swing-- 6/10-- These rides are a lot of fun, and the theming really was a nice touch, but what is up with parks and cycling them so short? How am I supposed to enjoy a ride that takes longer to get on than it does to ride? Shame on you SDC, I was at least expecting a longer circuit than Cedar Point...

Fire in the Hole-- 5/10-- I went into this "coaster" not knowing what to expect AT ALL, and I can't say I came out satisfied. The whole "dark ride section was horribly "themed" if you can even call it that. The three drops were unexpected and the splash at the end was a nice surprise, but overall I got off the ride just kind of thinking "what?!".

I didn't bring my camera, so here's a few cell phone pictures:

One of the great things about Wildfire is its location. The view is simply amazing.

Wildfire again.

The cobra roll was smooth and fun.

PowderKeg... it was closed when I took this.

Celebration City

After we left SDC we took the short drive to CC. Now I had heard a lot about this park feeling like a carnival, but I didn't really catch too much of that drift from the park. The price was MUCH more reasonable ($26), and the atmosphere felt nice. Granted we were only at the park long enough to ride each coaster once (we would've ridden OzCat twice but it broke down), but overall I felt the park was sufficient for what it is advertised to be; unlike SDC which was supposed to be this amazing super duper uber family fun park and couldn't live up to that.

We rode Jack Rabbit once, Thunderbolt once, and Ozark Wildcat once before leaving the park.

Reviews (from best to worst)-

Ozark Wildcat-- 9/10-- I had heard a lot about this ride being great and I had a great GCI experience from Evel Knievel so I went into this ride open-minded yet still expecting a great ride. Now it was not as good as Evel Knievel, but it was a great ride. A few spots of unexpected airtime and some great laterals made this ride the second best coaster of the trip. The negative would have to be the incredibly short length.

Thunderbolt-- 7/10-- This may be a small, portable coaster but I managed to enjoy it still. It wasn't really rough and it was a lot of fun. TONS of incredibly close head choppers, some nice forces, and one really surprising turn. Its definitely not the biggest or the best, but it was a good ride.

Jack Rabbit-- 6/10-- This was one of the biggest WTF coasters I have ever ridden. It was really jarring, but somehow fun in that twisted sick way. It had airtime, some crazy laterals, and it somehow managed to pop my back. It's definitely one of those rides that you get off thinking "What just happened to me...? Let's go again!"

A few more pictures:

OzCat.

You can see the crazed turn in this pic of Thunderbolt.

WTF: The Ride.

------------------------------------------------

Overall my first ever Branson trip was a letdown in a way. It may have been the crazy Joplin trip that preceded it coupled with high expectations, or it could've been that I'm too old to enjoy such a family environment. Maybe it was that we only had a limited amount of time to enjoy the parks. Who knows really, but the point is that at the end of the day I couldn't help but think the Branson trip wasn't worth the money spent to take it. I'm glad I got the credits but something amazing will have to be added before I find myself going back.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very thorough TR, and those pictures are a pretty good quality for a cell phone. I'm glad to hear someone else's perspective who recently experienced Branson for the first time. I appreciate your honesty on your impression. My first time was a couple weeks ago, and I absolutely loved it! We were only at SDC, but we took our time doing everything.

I really think that Silver Dollar City requires a slower pace to appreciate it. There's lots of little details all over the park to take in, there's the 45-minute cave tour, the craftsmen, lots of shows, etc. To me, SDC is one of the best theme parks in the country, easily on the same level as a Busch or Universal park. Next time don't attack the park as a credit run, but rather stroll through and take it all in.

On another note: You could have saved a little money by purchasing the two-park combo ticket. Sure, it's good for three days, but it's still cheaper than buying each park's one-day tickets separately.

Good to see a different perspective of the park, but I think you simply went in there with the wrong idea of the type of park SDC is. SDC isn't your typical rides park - it didn't even have more than a dozen rides before 2006. You go to SDC to see the shows, shop at the dozens of real (and fake) craftsmen, go through the cave, and just have an overall experience. I've been going there for most of my life and I love it to pieces; I've never found myself bored there. In fact, like many people, I actually liked the place more before they started adding rides. I guess now that they do have a few major rides it's a race to get enough of them so they can get out of this limbo of being half amusement park half cool ozark experience.

How did you miss the Shoot Out at the Flooded Mine? No water rides?

______

I think this is the first person I've ever heard say they were disappointed with SDC.

Its OK, you're entitled to your opinion. But if you want a park crammed with Vekoma crap coasters and run-of-the mill flats, go to a Cedar Fair or Six Flags park...actually, SDC now has way more flats than it ever did.

You've got 3 quality coasters, a Disk-O, the Barn Swing, a great dark ride shooter, a cave tour with tram, a great train ride, a variety of good food, some good shows (if youre into them), 3 great wet rides, a nice kiddie water play area, a crooked house, a coaster/dark-ride classic, interesting craftspeople to watch, and lots of little nook and crannies to explore.

I've been like 12 times, and its the one park within a reasonable drive that I can visit every year....

I've not been to SDC yet, but Dollywood used to be my home park, and Blazing Fury (which was inspired by Fire in the Hole, and very similar in layout, I believe) is one of my favorite rides of all time! Not that it's the most thrilling or most realistically themed...there's just something about it that I love. I think those two coasters have more of a cult following rather than a following of adrenaline junkies.

If you ever ride it again, ride it with a more fun and campy mindset, instead of hoping for a typical coaster thrill.

I'm with the majority here.

I really loved SDC. I thought all the coasters were awesome. The employees were SUPER nice, and fit the part. The park is beautiful. The cave tour is amazing. The food is even better!

I can't wait to get back to this park. I personally like SDC way more than Dollywood, but Dollywood is definitely a great park too!

Like someone stated above, next time your there, purchase the combo ticket. Now that you have all the credits, take your time going through the park and make sure you take everything in. The place really is amazing!

Now for the park itself. Now I know people aren't going to like hearing this, but I can't say that I really liked the park all that much. The rides were top notch, the atmosphere was cool, and the smells were agonizingly amazing. However, the park lacked so much to me. All it felt like was walking around through a little western town with tons of shops and stalls, and oh look a carousel! There was a ton of shade which was nice, but as far as things to do, you could be done in less than two hours, which hardly makes it worth the price. A tourist trap? Silver Dollar City DEFINITELY is one.

I don't get it.

You thought the rides were top notch, the atmosphere cool, the smells awesome, and a lot of nice shade, but you didn't like the park??

Don't you kind of contradict yourself? I don't understand how you're "ranting" about a park after listing a few things that you really liked about it.

Great TR!

I recently went to Dollywood and I have the exact exact same opinion. It felt like 3/4 of the park was shops! Don't get me wrong I enjoyed the park but it felt like what you said... a tourist trap.

Oh and someone said a couple posts ago SDC is a half theme park half ozark experience. I'm not trying to be a jerk about what you said but I go to an amusement park to have an amusement park experience and I go to the river to have an ozark experience. Not an amusement park to have both.

You do know that Silver Dollar City is not meant to be a ride park right? The shops, shows, and exhibits are what most people go there for, and the rides are just there to give people more things to do. Yes, the rides are the main reason some people go, but the other attractions still take center stage.

I have to agree with what someone said on the first page, that you can't go to SDC just for the credits. I've never been to SDC, but it seems like SFSTL with a lot of historic exhibits, and if you go to these parks just for the major rides, you're going to miss most of the experience.

Edit: ^Dollywood is the same thing,

Us Herschend fanboys have been attempting to educate people about the finer things in enthusiast life for years now. Those who are true THEME PARK Enthusiasts, not roller coaster enthusiasts, meaning those who enjoy the experience of a park- the atmosphere, the food, the shops, the shows, and those little details that make Disney parks top notch- will love HFEC parks.

They are entertainment parks, not theme parks, and definately not amusement parks. Sadly, alot of people come to Dollywood expecting something else and view it in a negative light, which is their opinion of course, but my opinion, as well as that of a majority of people is that it (and SDC) are great parks, ran well, with a great well-rounded assortment of rides with lots of other little knacks to entertain you... oh, and the food is awesome too. Which is exactly what it should be, do we REALLY need anymore Six Flags' or Cedar Fair parks?

O.K. We attend SDC every year and I think I understand what he is saying. I have a 16 year old son who feels the same way about the park. If you ask him if he likes the park he say's no it's for old people. But, if you ask him specifics about the rides you get glowing reviews. The age bracket between 15 and 18 see's the park's atmosphere as a "little house on the prairie tv show episode". They are use to hoping from one ride to the next and being surrounded by kids and noise and constant trills. This park has a feel of olden days and the wild west, you could say Americana. They stationed three of the 5 coasters within 20 feet of each other so the trills are not scattered throughout the park. The mine coaster Thunderation is back where it's not noticed within the walkways of the park. Most of the flats and the kiddie coaster are situated in a single section also away from the main walkways. So, in a 15/16 year olds mind it doesn't seem like a trill park because there aren't continuous trills. There are no coasters going over the walkways so, the screams and thunder of the rides don't add that extra thing that typical parks offer.

If you think about it, when you were 15/16 did you want to hang out around a group of people playing folk music. So, I can see how his statements seemed to contradict themselves. They don't it's just a mindset that most kids his age have of the parks.

On a side note, I had to walk uphill to and from school everyday in 2 foot of snow in my day!

It's perfectly legitimate not to like Silver Dollar City and/or Dollywood. They're much different experiences from, say, Cedar Point or Magic Mountain.

But "tourist trap"? Hardly.

No disrespect intended, and forgive me if I'm over-generalizing here , but there seems to be a natural progression for most enthusiasts as they get older. The kids just want a bunch of giant rollercoasters, but us old folks need some shade and a nice train ride once in a while.

At the same time, the more parks you visit, the more you tend to value the unique and funky attractions over the latest and greatest terra-coasters.

Or so it seems to me.

It does crack me up to see a Cedar Point fan-boy whine about any park being expensive or a tourist trap - since CP is the biggest offender in both of those categories. Besides it sounds like you didn't do the cave at SDC, which means you missed the best part!

Cameron.

I could definitely understand where the OP is coming from. Personally, I think that SDC has a perfect balance of thrills and theme. The group I went with was between the ages of 15-27 and we spend two days there. We never felt the need to rush into anything and just took our time... heck, we didn't even see Marvel Cave! But at the end of our trip, we felt like we definitely had gotten our money's worth. And the few thrills that are there are nearly flawless that you could satisfy any adrenaline-induced teenager.

Yeah, I was going to say that the negative reaction to SDC was most definitely due to age. I've never been but if and when I do go I'm not going to treat it like I will for my first trip to SFGAdv. SFGAdv trip will be all about credit whoring and getting as many rides in on El Toro and Nitro as possible.

O.K. We attend SDC every year and I think I understand what he is saying. I have a 16 year old son who feels the same way about the park. If you ask him if he likes the park he say's no it's for old people. But, if you ask him specifics about the rides you get glowing reviews. The age bracket between 15 and 18 see's the park's atmosphere as a "little house on the prairie tv show episode". They are use to hoping from one ride to the next and being surrounded by kids and noise and constant trills. This park has a feel of olden days and the wild west, you could say Americana. They stationed three of the 5 coasters within 20 feet of each other so the trills are not scattered throughout the park. The mine coaster Thunderation is back where it's not noticed within the walkways of the park. Most of the flats and the kiddie coaster are situated in a single section also away from the main walkways. So, in a 15/16 year olds mind it doesn't seem like a trill park because there aren't continuous trills. There are no coasters going over the walkways so, the screams and thunder of the rides don't add that extra thing that typical parks offer.

If you think about it, when you were 15/16 did you want to hang out around a group of people playing folk music. So, I can see how his statements seemed to contradict themselves. They don't it's just a mindset that most kids his age have of the parks.

On a side note, I had to walk uphill to and from school everyday in 2 foot of snow in my day!

I went to SDC when I was 10 in 1979 and the only coaster they had was Fire In The Hole and I STILL loved it!

I guess its the XBox generation and their need for loud noises and bright objects...

It does crack me up to see a Cedar Point fan-boy whine about any park being expensive or a tourist trap - since CP is the biggest offender in both of those categories. Besides it sounds like you didn't do the cave at SDC, which means you missed the best part!

Cameron.

NO NO NO. I made this screen name when I was 13 and I hardly think anything good of Cedar Point anymore. I wont take this crap.

I think I came off in the wrong way. Did I not like the park? No thats not the case. I was simply AMAZED at how nice the staff was, the ride ops seemed as if they were having a blast and they truly wanted to be there. The theming and smells were great, and most of the rides were really fun. I guess what I was getting at for why I was so disappointed was because I was just expecting something so much different. There just wasn't much to do for a couple of teenage kids. If I wanted to watch old ladies sit in rocking chairs and draw on umbrellas then I can go to the nursing home.

The tourist trap thing comes from the fact that all of Branson is considered a "tourist destination" and I just didn't find it all that amazingly fun. I could've had more fun at the Lake of the Ozarks if it was an Ozark experience I was wanting. And if I want to see a cave then I can walk a mile down the road from my house to Rock Bridge State Park and explore the Devil's Icebox cave for free. I guess I just don't feel like I should have to pay so much to get in, then pay even more if I want to enjoy the other things like the food or the craftsmen stuff. Their food may be amazing, but it was damn expensive too.

I don't know, I just feel like I could spend all day at a nice park like SFStL and never get bored, but I definitely got bored at SDC.

These responses are exactly what I was expecting though. A giant group of people who aren't willing to accept others opinions. I don't think SDC is the amazing park its made out to be, BIG DEAL, I don't think very highly of CP either.

These responses are exactly what I was expecting though. A giant group of people who aren't willing to accept others opinions. I don't think SDC is the amazing park its made out to be, BIG DEAL, I don't think very highly of CP either.

It has nothing to do with not accepting other opinions. Most people even accepted that being a teenager is probably why you didn't "get" the whole SDC experience.

It was the way you expressed your opinions that came off wrong. You basically said, the rides were awesome, the food was awesome, the park atmosphere was awesome, but the park sucks. Just seemed odd the way you complained and then went on to explain all the things you thought were great.