TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Who will break 500 feet?

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are there any parks out there located on the side of a mountain that could use the terrain for the bulk of the drop to save on support steel costs?

Whatever they save on steel they would probably need to invest on construction/engineering/design costs. You have to worry about the increased costs of working on the side of a hill, excavating to create space for the footers would be difficult and add costs.

What about building a coaster along the quarry wall at SFFT? The wall only buys you an extra 100 feet or so, but you could go 400 feet up above the quarry wall, plus the 100 feet or so down to the ground at the bottom of the quarry, or if they really wanted to get interesting, maybe they only go 350-ft up top and then dig a 50-foot deep hole at the bottom of the quarry? Heck, if they could dig a 90-foot hole for Oblivion, I think it could be doable. This certainly wouldn't be the cheapest coaster in existence, but I think it'd be about one of the only halfway reasonable ways to have a legitimate 500-foot drop on a full-circuit, non-accelerator coaster. The challenge would be talking the park into spending the money to actually do a full layout and not just be a one-trick pony. But if you designed the layout right, you could save on 100-ft of support steel on several big hills.

^

Heck, if they could dig a 90-foot hole for Oblivion, I think it could be doable.

True, but they're stuck with extremely strict height restrictions and were willing to pay for something like that. I don't think any park in America (please correct me if I'm wrong) has a coaster that digs so far underground before coming up and out.

^
Heck, if they could dig a 90-foot hole for Oblivion, I think it could be doable.

True, but they're stuck with extremely strict height restrictions and were willing to pay for something like that. I don't think any park in America (please correct me if I'm wrong) has a coaster that digs so far underground before coming up and out.

Also true, but the key point is that where there's a will (and an appropriately-sized pile of cash), there's a way.

• 2 weeks later...

Still Alive?............Now projected at 570ft.

Polercoaster will be tallest in world, officials say

Announcement expected in next 30 days

UPDATED 5:21 PM EST Mar 03, 2014

ORLANDO, Fla. —So far, it’s billed as the biggest attraction yet in central Florida: The Orlando Eye.

You can see the supports for the massive, 425-foot tall observation wheel are in place, and plans are for the attraction to be open by New Year’s. But the Orlando Eye could soon be overshadowed.

"This is fast smooth and very, very exciting," said Michael Kitchen, of U.S. Thrill Rides. "And terrifying."

In November, Kitchen showed WESH 2 his plans to build the Polercoaster, a tower coaster that would be the tallest coaster in Florida. WESH 2 news has learned the buyer now wants to build the world's tallest roller coaster at 570 feet in Florida, which would be about 130 feet taller than the 35-story SunTrust Center in downtown Orlando.

That would be nearly three times higher than Disney’s Expedition Everest and Universal’s Rip Ride Rockit coasters.

Visit Orlando’s Mark Jaronski said Florida should be excited about a unique attraction being built in Florida, possibly in our region.

"New attractions increase interest, increase excitement," Jaronski said. "All of the tourists who come here, who visit, who are attracted by iconic attractions like that, leave behind money that helps fund our schools, our local roads, even the arts here in central Florida."

Visitors WESH 2 talked with said bring it.

"I probably would come just to see, you know, what type of roller coaster it is," said Willie Parker.

Theme park insiders tell WESH 2 they’re betting the Polercoaster will be in a big-name park because the expense of building it would make it a money-loser as a standalone attraction.

Link and local news video:

Read more: http://www.wesh.com/themeparks/other/polercoaster-will-be-tallest-in-world-officials-say/24780164#ixzz2v1RBBBaS

I think it'd be cool if S&S added one of their launched coasters to the complex. It could start at another point in the resort center or park that it's built in and then launch straight out into a swooping fast turn that pulls up into a superman style vertical section up the side of the tower and then it could come back down backwards.

The article said itd be at a big name park, and probably not as stand alone attraction. So I'm willing to bet it'll be at one of these places:

Fun Spot

Busch Gardens Tampa

Seaworld

Universal?

Disney-nah prob not

My best guess is fun spot. Seems like the type of place where it'd be.

Sure, it may not be a big name park, but honestly, can anyone here see this at Universal? Disney? NOPE. Seaworld? Eh. Doubtful. Busch Gardens? Who knows, they could surprise us. But I think this could be a fun spot project. But who knows, I could be wrong.

The article says that "theme park insiders" think it will be in a big-name resort/park, but that doesn't really mean it will.

I don't see it going into Disney for obvious reasons. Universal and SeaWorld are possibilities, but Universal has a lot of other major attraction rumors so I don't see them adding a Polarcoaster as well. Busch Gardens just got a super tall attraction so I don't think another one is coming soon. And I don't think Fun Spot could afford a Polarcoaster at this point.

If a Polarcoaster is coming to Florida, I'm guessing it is going to SeaWorld. Their current observation tower is pretty old and I think another coaster is in the near future for the park, so a Polarcoaster would be a great addition. However, part of me believes this will be a stand-alone attraction, so I'm not sure.

This a hard one, and only time will really tell. Fun Spot has the space, but do they have the financial resources ? (I do love Fun Spot for their fantastic commitment to customer service ) Merlin and the Orlando Eye, has the capital to pull it off. Sea World parks also have the space and financial resources to do this at either BGT or SWO. Either way, this has an unbelievable potential to really set things off again in the coaster wars of this part of the century!! Wherever it is, I WILL BE THERE !!!!

I can see why people might think that the Polar Coaster would be built in a major park but It is not a fit for any of the parks in Florida. I think with all the delays in announcing means that it is a stand alone project and they are getting their financing together. A major park wouldn't have that problem.

I agree, a major park wouldn't have finance issues. But the finance part could just be a distraction . I would love to be a fly on the wall on this one. Somebody out there knows a lot more than we know, they are just keeping very , very , tight lipped. To ad fuel to the fire, why not think out of the box so to speak. What about someplace like Gaylord Palms or any of the major resorts in Orlando, or even Daytona Beach, which is technically , sorta, in the Orlando area ? Even more of a stretch, the new Miracle Strip in Panama Beach ? I really hope this comes to fruition, and all the speculation is quite interesting and fun.

• 2 weeks later...