TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

New park China, Happy Valley Chengdu

RonLaan

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Am I the only one thinking it's a shame that the only Lite coasters, we see, are Kawesemi-clones. Not that that layout is bad at all - Piraten is fantastic, but I just think it would be better to see some different layouts...

Yeah I want to see something more than a clone. And I would love one here in FL

oh and rob when you said CF for operations? is that a bad thing? just asking cause I only been to CP once it their operation was ok

Am I the only one thinking it's a shame that the only Lite coasters, we see, are Kawesemi-clones. Not that that layout is bad at all - Piraten is fantastic, but I just think it would be better to see some different layouts...

Yeah I want to see something more than a clone. And I would love one here in FL

oh and rob when you said CF for operations? is that a bad thing? just asking cause I only been to CP once it their operation was ok

Yeah I should have specified CF operations (minus CP) as recently I've found some CF parks to be worse than Six Flags. Although, this past summer, Dorney and CW were just fine. But then again, that's a discussion for another thread...

Basically Happy Valley's operations at both parks were one train on each major coaster and staggered opening times for all the major rides. It basically created an hour line for one ride, then the next one would open, so that hour line would move to that ride, etc, etc....

--Robb

Hey, don't forget about Kings Island! And I'm not just saying this because it's my home park and employer.

It was a big hit to me when I stepped out of KI and Cedar Point into different parks like Dreamworld and SFoG to find one train ops, rude employees, and slow dispatches. Seriously, I can hardly remember a day when KI was putting up one train operations. (With the exception to the one train op rides; and Firehawk have a problem on the occasion) I mean, they're pretty good with that stuff. This park is really changing for the better.

But about the mega-lite. I love the color scheme. And I guess Intamin has hit gold with this design for the parks over seas! Sure, a new layout would be killer, especially if they keep the ejector air, insane turn and airtime hill staples. Intamin doesn't slack! I was kind of worried for a bit that Intamin's attention would be distracted by the newer LSM/LIM coasters, Ball Coasters, Furious Baco types, and accelerators. Glad to see they will continue to excel with their classic sit downs.

Kick ass, Intamin!

-JZ

Would you count this track layout similar to Fahrenheit maybe? Or does this layout pack more punch?

I don't think I'd compare it to Fahrenheit in any way except that they're both pretty compact rides.

Although the guy from Intamin who was with us at Tobu Zoo actually did compare the Mega-Lite to Maverick and Fahrenheit because I think from a construction and project management perspective the rides may be more similar than 200 or 300 foot hyper coaster.

I do agree, from my view I think of these as "Mini-Hypers" but I can see where the guys selling and putting up the ride may compare it more to a ride of similar size.

Ah I see. So sounds like more punch for your (or the park's) buck. I'll have to ride me one of these at some point in my lifetime. Fahrenheit is fun but the sound of "mini-Hyper"... very intriguing. I also agree with the comment about cloning. If you're gonna clone, make sure it's great. I still love the Batman's used as an example and still really enjoy taking a whip on those. Hopefully someday a park will locate one in the US (or Canada).

Hey,

Just to clear up the confusion in 1 or 2 posts on page 1,

Happy Valley are building TWO parks this year, one scheduled to open 2008, in Chengdu, and another in Shanghai, planned to open next year.

The Superman clone talked about, is in the Shanghai park, alongside China's first wooden coaster, a half-pipe coaster, and possibly a Dive-machine.

So:

Chengdu: (Opens 2008/early 2009)

Intamin Mega0Lite

Spinning Coaster

Mine-Train

SLC

Shanghai: (Opens mid-late 2009)

Gravity Group Woodie

Intamin half Pipe

B&M Flyer (Probably themed and named similar to Beijing's crystal wings)

Possibly a B&M Dive Machine.

--Luke

Hey,

Just to clear up the confusion in 1 or 2 posts on page 1,

Happy Valley are building TWO parks this year, one scheduled to open 2008, in Chengdu, and another in Shanghai, planned to open next year.

The Superman clone talked about, is in the Shanghai park, alongside China's first wooden coaster, a half-pipe coaster, and possibly a Dive-machine.

So:

Chengdu: (Opens 2008/early 2009)

Intamin Mega0Lite

Spinning Coaster

Mine-Train

SLC

Shanghai: (Opens mid-late 2009)

Gravity Group Woodie

Intamin half Pipe

B&M Flyer (Probably themed and named similar to Beijing's crystal wings)

Possibly a B&M Dive Machine.

--Luke

hey where do you get this info?

^Well, they do have a BILLION people to drive up attendance!

As for the MegaLites...I had heard they were good, but I was not prepared for the ride it delivered. Truly a top 10 if not a top 5 ride! AMAZING!!! We need one here NOW!!!!

Oh, and here's a quick photoshop I did to try and show you the layout.

kawasemi.jpg.2b3eaae83060719a51454266470f0da6.jpg

Doesn't look like much, but WOW!

^Fooled me at first! It wasn't until I saw the station that I even realized it wasn't one big photo.

Those things do look pretty freakin' awesome though! The few videos I've seen make it look like the trains just rocket over those little bunny hills and twists! I had hopes that HW might install one of these bad boys for next year, but nay.

Wow. Those MegaLites look just plain SICK! All those yummy Intamin airtime hills - chalked full of airtime deliciousness, I'm sure. The US needs one, and quick! I take it some of you rode one on the Asia trip?

Hmmm, Kennywood seems to like more "all age" friendly coasters and tends to avoid inversions. A perfect fit perhaps? Yeah, I know, I'm being selfish......no worry though, as Kennywood probably couldn't afford it anyway.

• 2 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

One of our awesome members got us some great photos of the new Happy Valley Chengdu!

Here are some to get you excited, and I'll post some more soon!

Let me just say, these made me even more excited to go visit the park this summer!!!!

resizeintamin_drop.jpg.be6a2af1b9e31528554facbf9449c69a.jpg

Did I mention that they have a MEGALITE as one of the credits!?!?! DROOL!!!!! =) Mmmm Dream of Mediterranean

resizetpr_entrancecoasters.jpg.78c8219b7c74d2d4d4f5c308f19959ee.jpg

The coasters sure have some odd names!

resizetpr_spinningcoaster.jpg.5f1d1c4f6e0f053324fc3726f2643ff7.jpg

And with this non-Elissa Approved Spinning Coaster, we have four credits at Happy Valley Chengdu.

resizetpr_splashboat.jpg.2cf7588c9e914351844a4bbf15c6cda9.jpg

Happy Valley is NOT Dan Friendly.

resizetpr_rapids.jpg.8406d6f915af3c3a5fe576dc06e64840.jpg

Look Rapids Nerd! You can go here and be happy!

resizetpr_slc.jpg.342260711ca43edda67f46e52329e795.jpg

Yup...coasters...Mmmm Megalite!!!! And a shout out to the SLC as well, the 'Kumali' version seems to be quite popular in China and I much prefer it to the standard SLC layout.

resizetpr_minetrain_3.thumb.jpg.eecde5a8576d240c29d531d87e178cd8.jpg

A little bit of theming (or a lot!) goes a long way to make a standard ride really stand out!

resizetpr_minetrain.thumb.jpg.555156d01867c7dfed8481a8a27c9745.jpg

Once again...Hard Rock Park, look what you can do with a standard Vekoma Mine Train and some Theming!!!

resizecircus_land.jpg.35811a89dc7a1ca42b94753f4b7f81b9.jpg

And other rides and lovely settings!

resizecoasters.jpg.a10fa053daa2ae764e1c9f26c21dffa9.jpg

Oh, did I mention that they have coasters here?!??!

resizetpr_parkmascotte.thumb.jpg.5239e6420f8abbf2ebe23da8d4334c10.jpg

And of course the mascot of the Happy Valley parks, the bug!!!

resizetpr_entrancebirdisland.jpg.eca8cf099ba7ad995e4b8cf250306c7e.jpg

These Happy Valley parks always have some strange theming, the giant birds are no exception!

resizeentrance.jpg.c1814eaafa7aced072cedbceb2ce75cb.jpg

A better view of the entrance plaza!

resizetpr_entrance.jpg.854ddecc7421e5fab27179a1c9f2ce38.jpg

Here is the entrance, doesn't look too amazing yet, but let's step inside!