TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

North America’s First Great Wheel!

So the first "Great Wheel" for North America is coming to Orlando, and is set to open in 2010!

An afternoon press conference staged near the construction site announced the project to an audience of national and regional media, as well as selected partners and VIP Guests, including the Mayor of Orange County, Richard Crotty, and Gary Sain, President and CEO, Orlando/Orange County Convention Bureau.

The Great Orlando Wheel will sit on 20 acres next to the Orlando – Orange County Convention Center, in the heart of the thriving tourism corridor. Located at 6503 Westwood Boulevard, the giant wheel will be less than five minutes from Interstate 4 and SR 528. The location is convenient to the Orlando International Airport, downtown Orlando, and the area’s world-premier theme parks, hotels and attractions.

As one of the world’s most popular tourism destinations, Orlando provides the ideal location for North America’s first Great Wheel,” says Florian Bollen, Chairman of Great Wheel Corporation. “Passengers aboard the Orlando Wheel will experience a unique and ever-changing perspective above this vibrant landscape, soaring to heights unattainable anywhere else in the region.”

The Great Orlando Wheel

Height: 400 feet (122 meters)

Weight: 4,200 tons

Capsules: 24

Passengers per Capsule: 40 (Air-conditioned & UV protected)

Flight Duration: 30 minutes

Opening: 2010

The Great Orlando Wheel has been engineered with consideration to cope with the severe weather conditions in Florida including the annual threat of hurricanes.

Passengers aboard the Great Orlando Wheel take flight on an experience that will showcase all that Orlando and Central Florida have to offer. As the wheel slowly and silently ascends, 360-degree views reveal a constantly changing landscape, creating a unique and personalized experience for each guest.

Each spacious, fully enclosed air conditioned capsule allows guests to move freely throughout the flight to explore a panoramic skyline of Central Florida. A state-of-the-art audio and visual information system guides passengers to points of interest across the horizon.

Accommodating up to 40 passengers inside each capsule, the Great Orlando Wheel sets the stage for unforgettable occasions and special events, from corporate gatherings to private parties and romantic celebrations high above the sparkling skyline. With integrated Food and Beverage as well as Retail catered for all ages, the wheel provides the ideal location to relax, enjoy and have fun.

The Great Orlando Wheel offers you the flight of a lifetime...every time.

Passengers aboard the Great Orlando Wheel take flight on an experience that will showcase all that Orlando and Central Florida have to offer. As the wheel slowly and silently ascends, 360-degree views reveal a constantly changing landscape, creating a unique and personalized experience for each guest.

Each spacious, fully enclosed air conditioned capsule allows guests to move freely throughout the flight to explore a panoramic skyline of Central Florida. A state-of-the-art audio and visual information system guides passengers to points of interest across the horizon.

Accommodating up to 40 passengers inside each capsule, the Great Orlando Wheel sets the stage for unforgettable occasions and special events, from corporate gatherings to private parties and romantic celebrations high above the sparkling skyline. With integrated Food and Beverage as well as Retail catered for all ages, the wheel provides the ideal location to relax, enjoy and have fun.

The Great Orlando Wheel offers you the flight of a lifetime...every time.

Well this attraction does sound very fun! But I think it would be a one time ride, not something I would ride over and over and over! What are your thoughts on this?

More Information can be found here!

~Matthew

orlandowheel3.jpg.8236e7c164a6260d6e81caeb5509a9fa.jpg

orlandowheel2.jpg.2a120790e4dcc0abe6263cf03c9bd7e3.jpg

orlandwheel1.jpg.e0d24b42bf78078f23b47229f3ab680b.jpg

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay, now for my honest thoughts.

1) Lame.

2) A 400ft. tall, 360 degree view of Orlando from almost any location is still boring. You want a better view? Book a helicopter tour.

3) Um, how is it that they're able to break the 200ft. limit within that proximity of the airport?

4) Is it April Fools Day?

5) *IF* this is actually happening, did I mention it was lame?

When you take off from the Orlando airport, you can look left and see the Atlantic Ocean, and look right and see the Gulf of Mexico.

I don't think this is a bad idea, but putting it in a more scenic area would have been better.

Eric

3) Um, how is it that they're able to break the 200ft. limit within that proximity of the airport?

if its at the OCCC complex, then I'd think the ~10 miles from the airport shouldn't be a problem - otherwise most of Manhattan would be interfering with LaGuardia

if its at the OCCC complex, then I'd think the ~10 miles from the airport shouldn't be a problem - otherwise most of Manhattan would be interfering with LaGuardia

Yeah, that makes sense. I actually misread about it's exact location.

Hey, this might turn out to be wheelie good when the get around to it.

boooooooo!

This should be cool. I go to orlando at least once a year, it's pretty much the only place where I can ride coasters. I don't remember if the price per ride was in the main post, but I hope it isn't expensive. I'd like to ride this. I'm slightly afraid of heights, but also fascinated by them. I'd love to see what 400 feet looks like. I rode sheikra and 200 feet was really cool.

ummm......oh ok...it really looks pointless

Think of the way tourist will react. When someone goes to Orlando they are going to want to visit the Giant Wheel for the view they will get of the surrounding area. So I do not think it is pointless when it comes to being a tourist attraction.

Well after riding the London Eye, the first 5 minutes was interesting. Then the next 30 minutes was pure boredom waiting for the ride to end.

And everyone I've talked to who've ridden it has said the same thing.

And what is there really to see around Orlando anyways? Not exactly a scenic view.

At least the one in London and Niagara Falls has interesting attractions to look at right beside them. This one looks at what, a convention center??