TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Holiday World to announces 2009 Addition on 8/26

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think its a steel coaster. The hint that says 'Will announcement' leads me to believe its the steel coaster he has been wanting. Also if I remember from last year Mrs. Koch made a side remark about getting a steel coaster and Will said something like not yet.

I highly doubt Holiday World will get a dive machine. If it is a new coaster, then I'm going to guess it will be a euro-fighter as a large coaster from B&M or Intamin would not make financial sense for a family owned park like Holiday World. I still think that this ride will be a flat ride like a ferris wheel or Huss Frisbee.

Yeah, I dunno. Holiday World seems to be doing quite well for what they do, but a large Swiss steelie sounds a bit out of their price range. While I'd *love* for them to be the first US Intamin Mega Lite installation, I doubt that's what's happening either.

I'm betting against a coaster this soon after installing Voyage. Probably some sort of water park addition or flat ride. And not a mega flat like the Huss Giant Frisbee because HW could build another woodie for about what those cost.

a large coaster from B&M or Intamin would not make financial sense for a family owned park like Holiday World.

And Voyage made....sense? Plenty of family-owned parks have busted out of their shells and made large investments on large steel coasters. Kennywood and Blackpool are a few of the more noteable ones...

a large coaster from B&M or Intamin would not make financial sense for a family owned park like Holiday World.

And Voyage made....sense? Plenty of family-owned parks have busted out of their shells and made large investments on large steel coasters. Kennywood and Blackpool are a few of the more noteable ones...

Voyage was 6 million. A average B&M is 16 million.

^I understand that steel structured woodies cost less than B&M's, I was referring to the entire venture that Voyage was for Holiday World. Sure it was more affordable, but it was still a monstrous addition. Maintenance is much more intensive with wooden coasters, too, so I wouldn't be surprised at all to see a large steel coaster built. They're much more of a convenient and singular investment

While the debate over retracking, and the general future of The Voyage's condition is obviously yet to be seen, I would consider $6 million for the amount of worldwide exposure (most of it good, I might add) it received to be a pretty sensible purchase to this point.

As for the new addition, I'm going with Wes on this one.

From the Holiblog:

Hmmmm ... that's a tall order.

Really tall.

That's all for now.

What?!

Are you expecting me to drop a hint?

Uh ... just did.

Really Tall + What - Uh (Water) + Drop.

Sounds like a tall shoot the chutes spill ride in Thanksgiving! That would be a super addition in my book! Or it could be a high speed slide for Splashin' Safari! Or Paula could just be messing with us...like she always does!

I'm still holding out for that B&M Inverted though!

Tomorrow's hint, today

Okay, so Rich Davis over at the Evansville Courier & Press (remember his feature about the high Dive team?) is eager to break the story about our announcement.

It used to be you could tell a newspaper reporter something one day and it wouldn't show up in the paper until the next day. Those days are long gone. It's usually under an hour before the story appears online.

If that.

So thanks to Rich's skills as a journalist, he got a leg up on the next several hints.

Holiday World dropping hints about major new ride

Holiday World & Splashin’ Safari has theme park bloggers abuzz with speculation over what its next big ride will be.

The announcement won’t come until a groundbreaking Aug. 26, but the park (as it does nearly every time a major ride is on the drawing board) is teasing fans by dropping hints.

“Dropping” was the buzz word Tuesday on the park’s Web site blog (holiblog) along with “tall.”

While dozens of bloggers, many of them roller coaster crazies, have been guessing — everything from a steel coaster to a water coaster, swinging ship or volcanic eruption — here’s what we do know:

It won’t be as gigantic or expensive as The Voyage, the 170-foot-high wooden coaster that’s a centerpiece.

However, the park has budgeted $8.4 million for improvements in 2009, second only to the $13.5 million spent in 2006 when The Voyage debuted.

The dollar amount was confirmed by park spokesman Paula Werne.

Also, there already are construction stakes in the ground east of The Voyage, which is located on the park’s northeast side.

Werne said besides a major new attraction, the park also plans to add “a service” in 2009 which will be innovative, free and use technology.

The park also seems to be riding out the gasoline crisis.

“We set weekly attendance records back to back the past two weeks,” said Werne. She said more than 90,000 people visited the park two weeks ago and then that record was broken during the week ending Aug. 10.

She said the park appears to be on target to draw 1 million visitors, as it did last season.

The theme park, whose matriarch, Pat Koch, turns 77 on Thursday, is open daily through this Sunday and then on most weekends into mid-October, although Sept. 13-14 will be the last weekend for the waterpark.

Werne said some parks are more “serious” than others about announcing new rides, “but we kind of take it to the extreme. We have a ball keeping people guessing and wondering.

“One guy (responding to the ‘drop’ teaser) suggested we were building a new cell phone tower that will ‘look like a tree and you’ll never have another dropped call.’”

To read some of the comments from bloggers, go to www.holidayworld.com and click in the HoliBlog area at the top of the page.

http://www.courierpress.com/news/2008/aug/12/holiday-world-dropping-hints-about-major-new-ride/

My guess is a 125 ft. tall Euro-Fighter with 3-5 inversions and a 97 degree drop with a track length around 2,600 ft. It will cost around $5 million. Along with that, SS will probably get a slide as well.

Hmm...water.....LSHoF?

In all seriousness though, I'm gonna join the Eurofighter side. HW needs an inverting ride period, and I'd love to see a Eurofighter over there. Its a medium-sized coaster that would fit pretty well with HW's family friendly yet thrilling attitude. The only problem I see is IB's El Loco being only hours away, since they are a similar concept in rides.

From the Holiblog:

Hmmmm ... that's a tall order.

Really tall.

That's all for now.

What?!

Are you expecting me to drop a hint?

Uh ... just did.

Really Tall + What - Uh (Water) + Drop.

Sounds like a tall shoot the chutes spill ride in Thanksgiving! That would be a super addition in my book! Or it could be a high speed slide for Splashin' Safari! Or Paula could just be messing with us...like she always does!

I'm still holding out for that B&M Inverted though!

I think you're reading into it a bit much. From these few hints, it sounds like it'll just be a drop tower.

Duh, people. August 26, 1883 was the day of the famous Mount Krakatoa eruption. So, clearly, they're building a volcano.

Brilliant! I love a twisted mind.

Can I talk you into posting that educated guess on the HoliBlog?

Thanks (either way), Paula

For you, Paula, anything.

Sadly, I posted as "anonymous" because I was too dumb to figure out how else to do it. But at least it's there now.

^ Aw, thanks. I knew it was you.

I was hoping the reporter for the Evansville paper would include your guess, but he went with the cell-phone tower to prevent "dropped" calls. Both very clever ... the churro stand suggestion made me laugh out loud, too.

Paula

Well, he kind of did....

While dozens of bloggers, many of them roller coaster crazies, have been guessing — everything from a steel coaster to a water coaster, swinging ship or volcanic eruption — here’s what we do know:

Yet, once again, I'm only almost as cool as Wes.

"Werne said besides a major new attraction, the park also plans to add 'a service' in 2009 which will be innovative, free and use technology."

This new service could be a small kiosk for charging your phone batteries (something I saw recently at SFOG, but they charge $2 for it).