TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Good Coaster, Bad Park

So, I know this has happened to everybody. You've been at park that has some "good" coasters, but overall it's not the best park in the world. Then you ride a coaster that just lifts your spirits and you ride 3 or 4 times. Then you finish the day by riding another crappy ride.

My experience is at Carowinds. It has some "good" rides but they all left something to be desired. I finally got on Top Gun (now Afterburn) for the first time in my life. I always wanted to go, but the lines were always long. I rode and I fell in love with it. Now I ride it a couple times per visit.

Come on I want to hear from ya'll.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^I hate that Screamin' can be as short as a 15 min. wait yet Soarin's line is ALWAYS out of the door!

You'd think a good coaster would put a park on the map, but I've seen it work otherwise quite a few times. The best example I've seen myself is Xcelerator at Knott's. No other ride in the park comes close to matching it's intensity, thrill, and experience. Anyone who's been can kind of get where I'm coming from.

y

Cyclops & Hades - Mt Olympus

Vampire & Goliath - LaRonde

Cornball Express - Indiana Beach

Spongebob Rockbottom Plunge - Nick Universe

SROS - Darien Lake

Big Dipper & Dominator - Geauga Lake

The best example I've seen myself is Xcelerator at Knott's. No other ride in the park comes close to matching it's intensity, thrill, and experience. Anyone who's been can kind of get where I'm coming from.

+1

I love Xcelerator. It's my favorite Intamin rocket and favorite launched coaster in general (not counting Maverick). But, yeah. The rest of KBF basically sucks.

I too don't think you can beat Beech Bend in this category - however in my opinion Beech Bend does have a lot of charm/potential. I wouldn't hesitate to go back there because while it is basically just a carnival, it's a really FUN place.

To mirror the original subject (a park I think is awesome but has no standout rides), Rye Playland would definetely be the winner. This is a really nice place but could use a standout coaster (a GCI would be great). Thats not to say their lineup is bad, but what they have strikes me more as supporting rides, not main attractions. They could use a couple more flat rides too.

I also think Six Flags Great America fits the no standout ride category. While they have an extremely well rounded ride collection, the park is very well kept, and the employees are friendly, nothing there was that great, except maybe Batman and the former Deja Vu.

It's hard to top Beech Bend/KY Rumbler, but SFA/Wild One, Holiday Park/GeForce and Visionland/Rampage all come close.

Holiday Park at least has other attractions that are decent: drop tower, flume, dark ride, star flyer, etc. At Beech Bend the only decent thing is KY Rumbler.

It's hard to top Beech Bend/KY Rumbler, .....Visionland/Rampage all come close.

Wow! I can't believe I forgot Rampage! I rank it higher than KR, and believe me, IMO, Visionland (Alabama Adventure) has NO other redeeming qualities!

Good call Joe!

JJ

It's hard to top Beech Bend/KY Rumbler, but SFA/Wild One, Holiday Park/GeForce and Visionland/Rampage all come close.

Holiday Park at least has other attractions that are decent: drop tower, flume, dark ride, star flyer, etc. At Beech Bend the only decent thing is KY Rumbler.

Beech Bend has THE greatest drop tower ever. I also thought the Power Surge was kind of fun and the darkride was fun considering how messed up it was.

^I'm very much agreed there Rich. I went to Waldameer last year when Ravine Flyer was still a mound of dirt and I really liked the place.

I also have to say that I don't think Beech Bend is that bad a park. Sure the rides aren't exactly top of the range, but on my visit the staff and courteous and friendly and I had a great time there.

I'm surprised that hasn't been mentioned yet but...

Shivering Timbers at Michigan's Adventure.

Now I know some of you hardended geeks go on about Timbers' good days and bad days, but for me it ran really smoothly with lots and lots of airtime.

The rest of the park can royally sod off. There's almost no shade, no good rides apart from Timbers, and almost more concrete than the parking lot has asphalt. And because it's a park run by Cedar Fair, there's a million ugly, ugly rubbish bins and less atmosphere than outer space.